Default Intermittent static when viewing cable, cable ready problem?

I have an intermittent static problem on one tv in my house. When
watching cable short and annoying blasts of video and audio static
occur repeatedly until I give trying to watch. Or ometimes it only
happens once a day and will be days before it happens again. Two
diffent cable tech say it is the tv. The other tv in the house does
not have this problem. I finally switched our second tv with the one
that has the problem and the static has not happened since.

The tv with the problem is a 31" Toshiba. When playing dvd's (using
either the svid or composite video input) the image is perfect the
static never intrudes.

If the problem was in that line (wiring or connections) then I believe
the problem would occur on whatever tv was in use in that room. I am
left to believe that the problem must be in the cable ready portion of
the tv. Anyone know any common problems or thing I should check on the
cable ready board??

I can check and replace electronics, I work on pinball machines. But I
have schematics and know the common pinball aliments.

Thanks,
Dug

rhino:
Frankly.... if the diagnosis points to the tuner module in the
television, then it would be easier and cheaper for you to just use a
VCR to do the tuning. Any VCR built in the last 10-13 years will be
able to tune all of the cable tv channels... and if you use a STEREO HI
FI VCR and feed the television via the composite video/stereo audio
jacks into the A/V input of the television the result will be very
good.
electricitym

Thanks for the quick responses.

I don't know if tuning with in VCR would help, I have digital cable
and am only tuning in one channel. I also removed the digital box and
experienced the problem intermittently as well.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the quick responses.

I don't know if tuning with in VCR would help, I have digital cable
and am only tuning in one channel. I also removed the digital box and
experienced the problem intermittently as well.

If that is the case, you may also lose some digital channels if you use the
VCR instead. Depends also on the bale company and what signals you get.

rhino:
You can tune the "one channel" with the VCR's tuner.... just like you
did with the television's tuner.
If the problem still persists then your wiring is suspect.
Try what I suggested before you so readily discount it as a valid
solution. Post the results
electricitym

Ross Mac

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

My guess would be connections as others have posted. Whether at the splitter
or in the set. Try testing the set at a neighbors house.
If it is the set and you want to try your hand at fixing it then get a
bright light and a magnifying glass and look for cracks or dark spots in the
solder connections at the tuner. Usually it will be a part that runs warm
and is moving back and forth when the set is on or off or maybe a single
sided board without enough solder. Just heat up the connection and run some
solder into any connection that looks suspicious. Also check for discolored
connections. They could be the cause too but no guarantee. Please make sure
to unplug the TV not just turn it off just to be safe...
Another idea would be to post this on sci.electronics.repair and make sure
to leave the full model number...There are some excellent techs over there
and you might just have a well known bug with an easy fix.....good luck...

Ross Mac

"Ross Mac" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Woops...you already posted it there...my mistake...

Gene E. Bloch

"Ross Mac" wrote in
:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Note that CRT TVs have large capacitors with large voltages that
hold their charge for a long time.

An unplugged TV is not necessarily safe...

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

After you awapped tvs and the problem did not reoccur, did you go back
to the original location for each set, or did you leave them swapped?
That is crucial to know before we make further prognoses.

H. R. Hofmann

After you swapped tvs and the problem did not reoccur, did you go back
to the original location for each set, or did you leave them swapped?
That is crucial to know before we make further prognoses.

H. R. Hofmann

good suggestion
good suggestion
good suggestion
good suggestion

Ross Mac

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message
"Ross Mac" wrote in
:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

This is true and those experienced in the electronic field would know
this....The OP indicated that he knew something about electrical repair so
it was not mentioned....

Ross Mac

wrote in message
ups.com...
After you swapped tvs and the problem did not reoccur, did you go back
to the original location for each set, or did you leave them swapped?
That is crucial to know before we make further prognoses.

H. R. Hofmann

Is there an echo in here??

Gene E. Bloch

On 10/11/2005, Ross Mac managed to type:
"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message
"Ross Mac" wrote in
:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The OP might not be the only one reading this thread, so I felt it
wouldn't hurt to mention it.

I have had a couple of nasty shocks from unplugged TVs, but I did
survive - perhaps

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

Ross Mac

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message
On 10/11/2005, Ross Mac managed to type:
"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message
"Ross Mac" wrote in
:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Damm that hurts doesn't it!....

I swapped in a different tv. I did not carry the 31" downstairs. The
new set did not have any static at any time.

I tried what electricitym man suggested: reconnecting the old tv and
using the vcr tuner. And experienced 2+ days of no static whatsoever.
But the static has returned. To be very clear the connection is
wall-digital box-vcr (vcr on, vcr on vcr not tv, set to channel 4)-tv
channel 4. And I am using coaxial cable all the way trough. I believe
electricitym had intended that I use the composite output from the vcr
and bypass the tv's coax/tuner completely. I will do that as a last
resort but the tv is a bit older and only has coax and
s-video/composite inputs.

I will next try to open the unit and inspect grounds and soder joints.

I won't be able to get to it until sunday, thanks to everyone for their
input.
DC

wrote:
After you swapped tvs and the problem did not reoccur, did you go back
to the original location for each set, or did you leave them swapped?
That is crucial to know before we make further prognoses.

H. R. Hofmann

Mark

if you know what the tuner looks like, and you are not an expert,
don't open the tuner...just squeeze the cover of the tuner a few times
and see if that fixes the problem for a few weeks,,, if it does then
you know you need to get a tech to open the tuner and clean the ground
contacts to the cover...

Mark

Gene E. Bloch

On 10/13/2005, Ross Mac managed to type:
"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message
On 10/11/2005, Ross Mac managed to type:
"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message
"Ross Mac" wrote in
:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It is definitely not fun. I've also gotten too close to spark plug
wires. That should be avoided too.

I guess if I had continued to make a habit of it, my nickname would be
Sparky instead of Gino :-)

Sp...I mean Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)