Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

Default "Silverline" tools - any good?

As title. Are these tools of reasonable DIY quality?

Specifically interested in this item:
http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/silv...product/633619
for weed / bramble burning.

Any experiences of this tool very welcome.

Tia,

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Cicero wrote:
As title. Are these tools of reasonable DIY quality?

I've bought a few bits from them; diamond grit sharpening stones, stopcock
key, guide clamp, stiltson wrench etc. All have been good quality bearing
in mind the price.

Any experiences of this tool very welcome.

Not used that. Silverline seem reasonable, I've noticed lots of hire shops
now stock their range for resale and they wouldn't do that if they were
complete crap.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Cicero wrote:

As title. Are these tools of reasonable DIY quality?

I have a few of their hand tools - they are pretty basic. If you need
something for a one off job I would consider them, but not for anything
you will be doing regularly.

Specifically interested in this item:
http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/silv...product/633619
for weed / bramble burning.

Any experiences of this tool very welcome.

Not tried this one, so can't comment.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 20:51:18 GMT, "Cicero"
wrote:

As title. Are these tools of reasonable DIY quality?

No. They're only suitable for those tools where "a bit dodgy really" is
still useful.

Specifically interested in this item:
http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/silv...product/633619
for weed / bramble burning.

Mine isn't Silverline, but is very similar - although it has a bare hose
fitting, not a regulator. I suspect this one doesn'thave a regulator
either.

It offers a lot of heat, but a low temperature. Handy for tar work,
useless for heating metal. As a weed burner it works OK within reach,
but it's lighter to carry an old paraffin one around than a propane
cylinder. Burning to wilt the leaves controls nettles pretty well, but
isn't so good on brambles - the stems survive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

As title. Are these tools of reasonable DIY quality?

No. They're only suitable for those tools where "a bit dodgy really" is
still useful.

Specifically interested in this item:
http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/silv...product/633619
for weed / bramble burning.

Mine isn't Silverline, but is very similar - although it has a bare hose
fitting, not a regulator. I suspect this one doesn'thave a regulator
either.

It offers a lot of heat, but a low temperature. Handy for tar work,
useless for heating metal. As a weed burner it works OK within reach,
but it's lighter to carry an old paraffin one around than a propane
cylinder. Burning to wilt the leaves controls nettles pretty well, but
isn't so good on brambles - the stems survive.

I just bought the primus P3460 roofing kit that came with a bout10m of
hose. Cost about 100 quid. Its very powerfull, no its actually awesome
for heat,although I think if I had the time to choose I would have
bought a different torch for what i was using it for. ( Flat roof ).
Not usually involved with open flames but what is a lot of heat at low
temperature ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Cicero wrote:

As title. Are these tools of reasonable DIY quality?

If youre talking handtools rather than power, theyre fine yes, about at
the bottom end of what is good enough for real work, and very cheap.
IOW basic but good enough, no monkey metal etc.

Havent used their power tools.

Specifically interested in this item:
http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/silv...product/633619
for weed / bramble burning.

Any experiences of this tool very welcome.

I've never had much joy from weedburners myself, woudlnt buy one - if
thats what the link is. Why you cant write what it is I dont know. Its
a strange fashion, and always ensures you get less feedback.

NT

errr generally you would probably get better quality for less at the
pound shop. The only thing probably worth buying are the hardwood
bodied hand wood working tools like the bevel as the closest quality in
that price range , is a 3 times as much.... so I've been told.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr X

In article , Cicero
writes

As title. Are these tools of reasonable DIY quality?

Specifically interested in this item:
http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/silv...product/633619
for weed / bramble burning.

Any experiences of this tool very welcome.

The man behind Silverline is the man who started Screwfix and sold it to
B&Q
--
Mr X
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr X

In article , Andy Dingley
writes

Burning to wilt the leaves controls nettles pretty well, but
isn't so good on brambles - the stems survive.

What is your solution to killing brambles permanently, then?
--
Mr X

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article ,
Mr X wrote:
In article , Cicero
writes

As title. Are these tools of reasonable DIY quality?

Specifically interested in this item:
http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/silv...product/633619
for weed / bramble burning.

Any experiences of this tool very welcome.

The man behind Silverline is the man who started Screwfix and sold it to
B&Q

The example Silverline power tool (planer) that I looked at was remarkably
cheap (under 20 GBP). Quality?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scabbydug

"Mr X" wrote in message
In article , Cicero
writes

As title. Are these tools of reasonable DIY quality?

Specifically interested in this item:
http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/silv...product/633619
for weed / bramble burning.

Any experiences of this tool very welcome.

The man behind Silverline is the man who started Screwfix and sold it to
B&Q

Where I work we sell Silverline stuff, it's cheap crap but thats what people
want.
Personally I won't use any Silverline tools.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr X

In article , Scabbydug
writes

Where I work we sell Silverline stuff, it's cheap crap but thats what people
want.

Personally I won't use any Silverline tools.

It seems to be typical of the Chinese/Korean genre

I've been using a number of their yellow tie-down straps for a while
with no problems.
--
Mr X
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr X

In article , John Cartmell
writes

In article ,
Mr X wrote:
In article , Cicero
writes

As title. Are these tools of reasonable DIY quality?

Specifically interested in this item:
http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/silv...product/633619
for weed / bramble burning.

Any experiences of this tool very welcome.

The man behind Silverline is the man who started Screwfix and sold it to
B&Q

The example Silverline power tool (planer) that I looked at was remarkably
cheap (under 20 GBP). Quality?

You get what you pay for, bearing in mind that these goods come from
very cheap labour countries such as Korea and China
--
Mr X
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr X wrote:
In article , John Cartmell
The man behind Silverline is the man who started Screwfix and sold it to
B&Q

The example Silverline power tool (planer) that I looked at was remarkably
cheap (under 20 GBP). Quality?

You get what you pay for, bearing in mind that these goods come from
very cheap labour countries such as Korea and China

By that argument you should go and buy tools which are made in "very
cheap labour countries such as Korea and China" as you will get much
more labour for your money in what your are buying.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scabbydug

"Mr X" wrote in message
In article , Scabbydug
writes

Where I work we sell Silverline stuff, it's cheap crap but thats what
people
want.

Personally I won't use any Silverline tools.

It seems to be typical of the Chinese/Korean genre

I've been using a number of their yellow tie-down straps for a while
with no problems.

Agreed, but I was referring to hand tools & power tools.
We always have a pile of faulty returns to delight the rep when he calls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article 440c5b68.0@entanet
wrote:
Mr X wrote:
In article , John Cartmell
The man behind Silverline is the man who started Screwfix and sold it to
B&Q

The example Silverline power tool (planer) that I looked at was remarkably
cheap (under 20 GBP). Quality?

You get what you pay for, bearing in mind that these goods come from
very cheap labour countries such as Korea and China

By that argument you should go and buy tools which are made in "very
cheap labour countries such as Korea and China" as you will get much
more labour for your money in what your are buying.

If you were working in QA for 50p and a bowl of rice, would you care
much about the stuff you put stickers on?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...

If you were working in QA for 50p and a bowl of rice, would you care
much about the stuff you put stickers on?

Probably more than someone who can claim dole if he gets sacked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"Scabbydug" wrote in message

"Mr X" wrote in message
In article , Scabbydug
writes

Where I work we sell Silverline stuff, it's cheap crap but thats what
people
want.

Personally I won't use any Silverline tools.

It seems to be typical of the Chinese/Korean genre

I've been using a number of their yellow tie-down straps for a while
with no problems.

Agreed, but I was referring to hand tools & power tools.
We always have a pile of faulty returns to delight the rep when he calls.

What about their worktop jig, is that any good for a limited number of
joints, not pro use?

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Scabbydug wrote:

Where I work we sell Silverline stuff, it's cheap crap but thats what people want.
Personally I won't use any Silverline tools.

I was referring to hand tools & power tools.
We always have a pile of faulty returns to delight the rep when he calls.

They have a line of other makes to apparently. What's with ll the
DeWalts? There is an amazing range of them. Why so many I wonder?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scabbydug

"John" wrote in message
"Scabbydug" wrote in message

"Mr X" wrote in message
In article , Scabbydug
writes

Where I work we sell Silverline stuff, it's cheap crap but thats what
people
want.

Personally I won't use any Silverline tools.

It seems to be typical of the Chinese/Korean genre

I've been using a number of their yellow tie-down straps for a while
with no problems.

Agreed, but I was referring to hand tools & power tools.
We always have a pile of faulty returns to delight the rep when he calls.

What about their worktop jig, is that any good for a limited number of
joints, not pro use?

I seem to recall it being discontinued, we sold two & had one nicked,
*******s!
At the price you couldn't really lose even if it only worked a couple of
times.