Posted to uk.d-i-y
dskeeles

Default Battery-powered LED motion-sensing night light - any in UK?

Hi All,

I'm looking for a night-light for our bathroom, to avoid switching on
the main light with a clunk and the fan during the night.

I did find one, which seems ideal, but I've only found it in this store
in the US. Checked the manufacturer's website for UK resellers, but
even they don't list it. The store price is cheap enough, but they
charge £30 for postage! (In which case I'll buy a batch and try
selling them on ebay UK!)

http://www.smarthome.com/903206.HTML

Also, I did find this alternative, which seems cool and has "added
functionality" ;-) , but rather less practical

http://www.gadgetsquick.co.uk/produc...roducts_id=150

Does anyone know of any of that first one in the UK - or similar
products? We don't have any electrical sockets in a suitable place, so
most common nightlights are out, and I'm really looking for something
small, neat and simple.

Damian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Malcolm Stewart

"dskeeles" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

I'm looking for a night-light for our bathroom, to avoid switching on
the main light with a clunk and the fan during the night.

I've got a device labelled "Sensorguard" which may do what you want. It's
got an infra-red sensor, hook and screw-head socket for wall mounting,
powered by 4 C cells, and can be switched between ON, OFF, auto lamp and
auto alarm mode. There's a variable time setting for the lamp, and it can be
powered by an external 6V supply.
Sorry, but don't know where it came from.
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dskeeles

You mean just to have an LED light on continuously? It's do-able and
practical, agreed, but having a motion & light sensor is a "neater"
solution.

I wouldn't mind, say, a time-activated LED light or two - just so it's
on in the small hours - but I've not seen any of these either.

Damian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dskeeles

Yep, I saw something on ebay Australia that is something like this. I'm
looking for a smaller, neater solution though. Although the ALARM
setting has fantastic possibilties for practical jokes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On 16 Feb 2006 14:15:41 -0800, "dskeeles"
wrote:

You mean just to have an LED light on continuously? It's do-able and
practical, agreed, but having a motion & light sensor is a "neater"
solution.

I'd have thought a motion detector would be entirely appropriate for
the loo.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Ian Stirling formulated the question :
dskeeles wrote:
Hi All,

I'm looking for a night-light for our bathroom, to avoid switching on
the main light with a clunk and the fan during the night.

Why do you want motion sensing?

Personally, I don't find 1LED worth of light disturbing, but it's quite
enough to reach "not falling over stuff" levels of light.

I don't think you would find one battery powered, because the current
demands for the motion sensor will be quite high - probably almost as
high as the LED light itself.

Nor would it be sensible to expect a small battery to maintain an LED
lit during continuous use. Could you not have an LED switched on by the
closure of the bathroom door and arrange for the door to be left
slightly ajar at all other times?

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Nor would it be sensible to expect a small battery to maintain an LED
lit during continuous use. Could you not have an LED switched on by the
closure of the bathroom door and arrange for the door to be left
slightly ajar at all other times?

I have a similar problem with an outside toilet used by many
people, some of them rather stupid, and they will forget to turn
off the light. And a switch is also rather unhygienic.
So I was thinking of having the entire floor and seat area
hinged, with a micro switch underneath that turns on the light.
But I'd rather use a sensor. The battery will be charged from a
solar panel on the roof. How much power do sensors take?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dskeeles

For info: I found such a device in B&Q for £4.99, manufactured by
Masterplug.

It's very similar to the one I mentioned before, except the LEDs are 2
x Amber, and hence it's not that bright - but just enough for a small
bathroom. It takes 2 x AA, and I'll see how long it lasts over the
coming weeks/months.

Cheers,

Damian

Junior Member

I know it's a late post to your enquiry but just incase you have not found a suitable motion sensing light I have a product which is coming out for sale in the UK next month which is a great unit designed for many applications both indoors and outdoors the unit is compact offers upto six months use for one battery set.

I bought one from the USA about five months ago and have not changed the batterys yet and it has been activated daily.

The light has a photosensor so it's only ativated at night time further saving battery consumption.

Worth a look and as mentioned available some time DEC 06

In the applications section you can see a photo where the product has been used in the bathroom just as you required

Site address:

http://www.ecopa-ball.co.uk

Hope this could still be of help to you or others trying to find a product of this type

Regards

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskeeles
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I know it's a late post to your enquiry

Top posted and out of thread. Must be Google groups again !

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , gort
writes

I know it's a late post to your enquiry

Top posted and out of thread. Must be Google groups again !

Nah - Diybanter clueless ****

you have to wonder who ties their shoe laces every day

--
geoff