Posted to uk.d-i-y
petek

Default source for staircase balustrade

Can anybody recommend a source for staircase balustrade components?
I've seen the Richard Burbidge stuff at my local timber merchant and
local B&Q, but it seems expensive and I would like to find an
alternative just to compare price. A Google search only comes up with
links that eventually lead back to Burbidge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

petek wrote:
Can anybody recommend a source for staircase balustrade components?
I've seen the Richard Burbidge stuff at my local timber merchant and
local B&Q, but it seems expensive and I would like to find an
alternative just to compare price. A Google search only comes up with
links that eventually lead back to Burbidge.

Howdens or Magnet

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"petek" writes:
Can anybody recommend a source for staircase balustrade components?
I've seen the Richard Burbidge stuff at my local timber merchant and
local B&Q, but it seems expensive and I would like to find an
alternative just to compare price. A Google search only comes up with
links that eventually lead back to Burbidge.

I have noticed Wickes do their own equivalent, but I never compared
the prices. I made my own by planning down 34mm x 34mm timber as I
wanted square ones. The real square ones were much more expensive,
and all banana shaped.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

petek wrote:

Can anybody recommend a source for staircase balustrade components?
I've seen the Richard Burbidge stuff at my local timber merchant and
local B&Q, but it seems expensive and I would like to find an
alternative just to compare price. A Google search only comes up with
links that eventually lead back to Burbidge.

Screwfix are reasonable for these things.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

petek wrote:
Can anybody recommend a source for staircase balustrade components?

You want a wood turner - try the Yellow Pages. Note, for this
small quantity, some may not be interested, so make sure you
know what you want before you call, to save (their) time. You
may find someone who's got stock ready. Having them made will
likely be cheaper than Burbidge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hearn

petek wrote:
Can anybody recommend a source for staircase balustrade components?
I've seen the Richard Burbidge stuff at my local timber merchant and
local B&Q, but it seems expensive and I would like to find an
alternative just to compare price. A Google search only comes up with
links that eventually lead back to Burbidge.

I went with Richard Burbidge stuff via Stair Parts Online -
http://www.stairpartsonline.co.uk/ They were significantly cheaper than
B&Q and their system worked wonderfully for me. Request a brouchure via
the Stair Parts website and I think you'll get a full catalogue listing
all the parts, how they fit together for different stair configurations
etc. It all seems simple, but actually there can be some situations
where things won't work as you expect and the catalogue explains it all.

To be honest, there might be cheaper things out there, but for me, it
was cheaper than going with the Wickes own brand stuff, which in my
local one, was often damaged and rarely had the pieces I was looking for.

Sorry if I sound like I'm harping on about Richard Burbidge, but I
really found their system wonderfully easy, well documented, well
manufactured, and reasonably priced. With Stair Parts Online, I ordered
one day, and it was delivered 2 days later. Well packaged, everything
there (except one decorative cap to go on top of the newel post which
wouldn't delay the job, but they posted out a day or so later).

If I remember correctly, total price for staircase and landing
balustrading was £220 - £70 cheaper than B&Q, even after the £15
delivery fee I paid. I paid just 75% of the B&Q price online after
delivery.

Example of price differences (taken from my old spreadsheet I produced,
all inc VAT) - spindles - £2.94 at B&Q, were £1.88 online - when buying
40 of them, it makes a £30 saving. 3.6m pine handrail was £46.50 at
B&Q, online it was just £33. Similarly, 3.6m baserail was £30 at B&Q,
online was £18. Newel post at B&Q was £22, online just £11 - half the
price!

Oh, and I bought the demo video from B&Q for £5, which Richard Burbidge
will refund if you spent £100 on their parts. They also claim to have
a free design/assistance service to confirm/provide a list of which
parts you would need.

Had I gone with Wickes stuff, it would have taken longer than the 2 days
it took me to do it as it would have required far more joinery skills
to assemble.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Underwood

In message .com,
petek writes
Can anybody recommend a source for staircase balustrade components?
I've seen the Richard Burbidge stuff at my local timber merchant and
local B&Q, but it seems expensive and I would like to find an
alternative just to compare price. A Google search only comes up with
links that eventually lead back to Burbidge.

Have a look at http://www.earlywoodturners.co.uk/html_pages/spin.html or
google barnfather mouldings (same company)

their spindles range from 90p to £2.82 in pine and £1.65 to £4.92 in
mahogany all plus vat.
Other woods available to order!!

I used them several years ago and the quality was very good and
appearance almost identical to Burbage
--
David Underwood

Survey: A Little Feedback For Cliff BottleBob Metalworking 165 May 24th 05 09:32 PM
Try this Gunner Cliff Metalworking 417 April 26th 05 08:30 PM
OT - Delay, Delay Cliff Metalworking 127 April 21st 05 09:06 AM
Pearl Harbor Walt LeRoy Metalworking 77 December 15th 03 06:36 AM