Posted to uk.d-i-y
htmark98

Default Tung Oil - Where to buy it?

Hi can someone recommend to buy this from, looking around only found
one place and that is £60 (inc vat and del) for 5ltr.

Is it this expensive?

Looking to treat my shiplap shed and heard this is the best stuff to
use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

htmark98 wrote:
Hi can someone recommend to buy this from, looking around only found
one place and that is £60 (inc vat and del) for 5ltr.

Is it this expensive?

Looking to treat my shiplap shed and heard this is the best stuff to
use.

Isn't this an american product?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

htmark98 wrote:
Hi can someone recommend to buy this from, looking around only found
one place and that is £60 (inc vat and del) for 5ltr.

Is it this expensive?

Looking to treat my shiplap shed and heard this is the best stuff to
use.

Fist hit on google revealed...
http://www.richardbarry.co.uk/store/default.asp?cID=332

Probably even cheaper sites if I looked.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
SJP

"htmark98" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi can someone recommend to buy this from, looking around only found
one place and that is £60 (inc vat and del) for 5ltr.

http://www.agwoodcare.co.uk/show_product.php?id=87
http://www.richardbarry.co.uk/store/...60&view=search

Seems to be about the going rate

Posted to uk.d-i-y
htmark98

Thanks everyone, looks like it then.

Why is this recommend for shiplap? if you vist diynot forums that's
what everyone tells you to use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

htmark98 wrote:
Thanks everyone, looks like it then.

Why is this recommend for shiplap? if you vist diynot forums that's
what everyone tells you to use.

I have just been looking at your profile (a new feature of Google
Groups) You seem strikingly similar in technique and latent
intelligence as IMM.
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...8e6e329e36442f

Mind telling us who suggested tung oil to you how long you have been
annoying him and why someone would go to diynot forums?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
htmark98

Who is IMM???

Yes i posted the link above but what has radiators got to do with tung
oil?

I cannot remember the names, but theres a few people who have built
they're own shed with shiplap, i have done this and treated it with
clear perserative and it does not stand up that well. Little greenish
marks and water seeping through tiny cracks etc.

And what does this mean?
"Mind telling us who suggested tung oil to you how long you have been
annoying him and why someone would go to diynot forums? "

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

htmark98 wrote:
Who is IMM???

Yes i posted the link above but what has radiators got to do with
tung oil?

It's a mystery - just don't get him started on combi boilers....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Steve Walker wrote:
htmark98 wrote:
Who is IMM???

It's a mystery - just don't get him started on combi boilers....

Who? Me or hIMM?

Is there a thread on boilers of any sort that I have posted to?

The link I posted showed him replying to every post in the manner of my
first contact with IMM. It just reminded me of him.

As for tung oil, it is the base for rapid drying varnishes and paints
and is likely to be very expensive

The tenor of the site: DIYnot is one that seeks to get you contractors
to do tiddly little jobs you would do far better yourself if you were
not a natural target for cowboys. (I had in mind little old ladies.)

If you do get hold of some tung it will not solve the problem of mildew
or leaks. It sounds like the preservative you used was put on too late
or too thin and now you are stuck with it. And no amount of
preservative can fix it.

I suggest you stop going to that site.

As for the shed, some GOOD pictures might help you. But I doubt it,
unless you are willing to do a rebuild. Tough titty. How much overlap
have you given the shiplap, or did you get it from somewhere that that
site recommended?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
htmark98

Wow you really don't like that site do you. I have given the Shed 12"
one side and 8" the back of it, more than enough as the back is very
close to a wall and the overhang goes over this. And still i dont know
who the hell IMM is are you saying 'him' ?

Also been reading about and infact it's not mildew it does go a green
tint as it's softwood. And also reading another site (i wont mention as
you'll slag that off aswell) i now have a product that will help me,
and unlike you give good advice and dont belittle people.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On 11 Feb 2006 10:14:16 -0800, "htmark98"
wrote:

Hi can someone recommend to buy this from, looking around only found
one place and that is £60 (inc vat and del) for 5ltr.

That's a little steep, but not hugely so. Most finishing oils are arounf
£10/litre, dropping if you're buying 5 litre cans.

Looking to treat my shiplap shed and heard this is the best stuff to
use.

Far from the best, in my substantial experience. Tung oil is a great
high-quality ingredient but it's not the easiest to work with on its
own. It's also somewhat over-specified for outdoor sheddage - you can
use cheaper oils, like linseed, as a base. Some other additives might
improve UV stability too.

If I were using tung oil, particularly on rough-surfaced timber, then
I'd thin it with some white spirit before applying. I'd probably go
with either raw linseed or a danish oil (oil+varnish mix) rather than
pure tung though. The Australian Organoil range has a good outdoor
furniture oil.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On 11 Feb 2006 12:29:18 -0800, "htmark98"
wrote:

Who is IMM???

An idiot who posts to uk.d-i-y. He's obsessed with a few things,
including combi boilers. Now he posts as Dr Drivel instead.

Weatherlawyer is not IMM, probably less of an idiot, but a whole lot
more abrasive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

htmark98 wrote:
Wow you really don't like that site do you. I have given the Shed
12" one side and 8" the back of it, more than enough as the back
is very close to a wall and the overhang goes over this. And
still i dont know who the hell IMM is are you saying 'him' ?

Also been reading about and infact it's not mildew it does go a
green tint as it's softwood. And also reading another site (i
wont mention as you'll slag that off aswell) i now have a product
that will help me, and unlike you give good advice and dont
belittle people.

Ht, old chap - This appears in my newsreader as a reply to me. I hope it
isn't, but the context would be clearer if you could include a little of the

Thanks, and I hope you find the tung oil.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Default Non specific wibbling carborundied

FFS.

It's a shed. Give it a coat of creosote.

If you don't like the smell of creosote, give it a coat of borate fence
preservative: http://www.greenbuildingstore.co.uk/boron-products.php.
It's cheap as chips and just about as useful.

The biggest problem is to stop the leaks which are either caused by
shrinkage or by the wood bucking on expansion having swollen in the
rain. Or as is most likely, by using timber that is rebated to small or
by trying to streth the material out further.

In short, the lap has been shipped out badly.