Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LPG Combi Boiler advice.

Hi, I am in need of a new boiler. We currently have an LPG (no gas
around here) combi boiler and so i am assuming it would be most cost
effective to stick to that style. I cant say i have been impressed with
the current one, a worcester 9.24 electric but it was 13 years old
before we moved in so i can accept that may be why performance was
poor.
I would really appreciate some advice from experienced people. Our
local and friendly plumbers who have given us good service previously
only fit Alpha and reccomend a CB28. However after researching as much
as i can without expert knowledge im not sure that would be suitable,
not only as it has a purchase price of £684 inc vat and ive been quote
£1800 for them to install one but also the lpm doesnt seem as high as
think £1800 should buy. After all, no pipework has been quoted just
fitting the boiler to existing pipes etc.
What do you all think would be most suited to a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom
(actually we dont generally use the bath but we would like to use 2
showers at the same time sometime) place. Reliability is sooooo
important. The current boiler needs the ignition contact cleaned about
every month !
Price is important however i would rather get a good performing
reliable boiler in lpg as i think it would be cheaper than changing the
whole system to oil as we would probably have to buy a lower grade
boiler what with all the pipe work, tank etc.

All advice welcome !!!!!!!

Many thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fentoozler

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I would get a quote to move to oil - LPG is very expensive, superseded only
by electricity. Other than oil base and oil tank installation (and the
space this may take up), it is still just a boiler change, other than the
fuel line.

Angus

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"Fentoozler" nospam@mapson wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Sound advice as most oil combis have a heatstore which is essential in view
of the inherent delay in igniting an oil burner. This gives a far higher lpm
capacity than "most" run of the mill gas combis despite the posturing of
some.
You also have freedom of purchase source with oil unless you choose to
contract to one supplier.
Don't forget to factor in flushing the old system, any potential update to
the electrics and part p(iss) costs as well as the tank costs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Fentoozler" nospam@mapson wrote in message

I would get a quote to move to oil - LPG is very expensive, superseded
only by electricity. Other than oil base and oil tank installation (and
the space this may take up), it is still just a boiler change, other than
the fuel line.

Angus

The capital cost of an oil boiler is high. What you save in installtion cost
can pay for a lot of LPG over a number of years. Also oil takes up space,
as the boilers tend to be larger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

- The Worcester-Bosch Greenstar Highflow 440 combi is floor mounted a will
do two showers and has an LPG conversion kit.
- The Worcester-Bosch Greenstar 40 HE Plus combi is wall mounted and will
just cope. This is changed to LPG by an electronic module.

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/

See:
http://www.uselessenergy.org.uk/boil...ices.asp#AlpgC
The cheapest you will get a boiler.

If the district may have natural gas in the future then go LPG as it is easy
to convert back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 15:42:42 -0800, jwk wrote:

[...]

Take a look at the FAQ on Boiler Choice. It won't answer all the
questions but it should knock out most of the first round ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol

John wrote:

"Fentoozler" nospam@mapson wrote in message

wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

o m

I would get a quote to move to oil - LPG is very expensive, superseded
only by electricity. Other than oil base and oil tank installation (and
the space this may take up), it is still just a boiler change, other than
the fuel line.

Angus

Sound advice as most oil combis have a heatstore which is essential in view
of the inherent delay in igniting an oil burner. This gives a far higher lpm
capacity than "most" run of the mill gas combis despite the posturing of
some.
You also have freedom of purchase source with oil unless you choose to
contract to one supplier.
Don't forget to factor in flushing the old system, any potential update to
the electrics and part p(iss) costs as well as the tank costs.

The current 10 year forecasts within the oil industry for gas/lpg
prices are not good. So I'd look at all the options.
I know that some commercial places run their boilers on old engine oil,
can you run them on biodiesel( perhaps with methanol added)?

Regards
Capitol

Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
Low DHW temperature from combi boiler mish UK diy 4 March 27th 05 02:14 AM
New boiler advice Rob Summers UK diy 8 March 22nd 05 11:12 PM
Combi Boiler Choice, please help! Andy UK diy 8 June 26th 04 11:08 PM
Combi boiler advice, please Dave Jennings UK diy 7 August 26th 03 05:00 PM