Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Morrill

Default Servicing Combi Boiler

I had an Ideal Response combi boiler installed 3 years ago. I am very
pleased with it, and after two years the manufacturer gave it a service
under the terms of the warranty. A year later I rang my local engineer
to book a service. I had used him for years on my old boiler. He told me
not to waste my money on an annual service, as combis didn't require
cleaning out like my old Potterton. If it was working satisfactorily, I
should leave well alone and only call him if there was a problem.
Is he right, or should I find someone who will do it? I have never had
reason to doubt him before.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 15:23:18 +0000 (UTC), Peter Morrill wrote:

should leave well alone and only call him if there was a problem.

Assuming you survive.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
tarquinlinbin

wrote:

I had an Ideal Response combi boiler installed 3 years ago. I am very
pleased with it, and after two years the manufacturer gave it a service
under the terms of the warranty. A year later I rang my local engineer
to book a service. I had used him for years on my old boiler. He told me
not to waste my money on an annual service, as combis didn't require
cleaning out like my old Potterton. If it was working satisfactorily, I
should leave well alone and only call him if there was a problem.
Is he right, or should I find someone who will do it? I have never had
reason to doubt him before.

I have no doubt that the manufacturers recommendations are that it is
serviced annually,however there is some truth in what your man says
and he is honest enough to say it. However, as a customer has
requested a service and as the manuf's instructions will stipulate a
service at 12 month intervals,i would have carried out a
service/inspection whether it needed it or not. Your man hasnt really
done anything wrong, its just that he isnt in modern litigious society
mode and so i didnt want you paying for what would probably be
un-necessary work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fentoozler

wrote:

[...]

As said before, your manufacturer's instructions state a 'service' is
required every 12 months, although a 'safety check' is all that isusually
required - there isn't much to clean on a Response.

Angus

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Peter Morrill wrote:
I had an Ideal Response combi boiler installed 3 years ago. I am very
pleased with it, and after two years the manufacturer gave it a service
under the terms of the warranty. A year later I rang my local engineer
to book a service. I had used him for years on my old boiler. He told me
not to waste my money on an annual service, as combis didn't require
cleaning out like my old Potterton. If it was working satisfactorily, I
should leave well alone and only call him if there was a problem.
Is he right, or should I find someone who will do it? I have never had
reason to doubt him before.

I'm with your man.
Unless..... the boiler comes with a 5 year warranty or the like.
Our Valiant Economax thingy had the statury 12 months warranty, thereby
invoking my "why screw with something that's fine" policy.

If I'd had it serviced annually it would have had 5 blokes (or one bloke
5 times) removing covers to pinch and poke and suck and blow, disturbing
wires, pipes & seals etc.
It gets used with vigor at least 15 hours a day 5 days a week flat out.
When bits need replacing they'll need replacing at the same point in the
boilers life regardless of how many "services" it's received.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Peter Morrill wrote:
He told me not to waste my money on an annual service, as combis
didn't require cleaning out like my old Potterton.

Your 'old Potterton' didn't require 'annual cleaning out' either, unless
something was very amiss. Unless installed by dribble, obviously.

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article ,

Peter Morrill wrote:
He told me not to waste my money on an annual service, as combis
didn't require cleaning out like my old Potterton.

Your 'old Potterton' didn't require 'annual cleaning out'

Amazing! This senile one never serviced his boiler for over 12 years, and
told everyone else to do the same. He also cuts the tails off taps as well.
Amazing!