Posted to uk.d-i-y
In2Minds

Default partition walls

dividing a bathroom and will need to build an L shaped partition wall,
what would be the best method...

3x2 CLS or the metal framing stuff ? and what's that called ?

the only load on the wall will be a corner basin/pedestal in the corner
of the new stud wall

thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian G

In2Minds wrote:
dividing a bathroom and will need to build an L shaped partition wall,
what would be the best method...

3x2 CLS or the metal framing stuff ? and what's that called ?

the only load on the wall will be a corner basin/pedestal in the
corner of the new stud wall

thanks

Forgive my old brain, but what does"CLS" stand for please?

Brian G

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumpy owd man

Forgive my old brain, but what does"CLS" stand for please?

Brian G

CLS are my wife's initials! But she will be feck all use as she can't
even brew up reliably! Never mind her building a wall!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 20:26:25 -0000, "Brian G"
wrote:

In2Minds wrote:
dividing a bathroom and will need to build an L shaped partition wall,
what would be the best method...

3x2 CLS or the metal framing stuff ? and what's that called ?

the only load on the wall will be a corner basin/pedestal in the
corner of the new stud wall

thanks

Forgive my old brain, but what does"CLS" stand for please?

Brian G

Canadian Lumber Standards

It refers to a type of constructional timber which is planed to a
degree and has the sharp corners relieved slightly.

The cover story is that it is to reduce the rate of spread of fire
(because of less rough, air trapping surface.

Personally I think it was because the pussies in the U.S. construction
industry were getting too many splinters.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian G

Grumpy owd man wrote:
Forgive my old brain, but what does"CLS" stand for please?

Brian G

CLS are my wife's initials! But she will be feck all use as she can't
even brew up reliably! Never mind her building a wall!

You haven't trained her properly! Mine can build the wall - and make a
great cuppa. That just leaves me to sit back and read the paper.

I hope she doesn't see this. LOL

Brian G

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian G

wrote:

In2Minds wrote:
dividing a bathroom and will need to build an L shaped partition
wall, what would be the best method...

3x2 CLS or the metal framing stuff ? and what's that called ?

the only load on the wall will be a corner basin/pedestal in the
corner of the new stud wall

thanks

Forgive my old brain, but what does"CLS" stand for please?

Brian G

Canadian Lumber Standards

It refers to a type of constructional timber which is planed to a
degree and has the sharp corners relieved slightly.

The cover story is that it is to reduce the rate of spread of fire
(because of less rough, air trapping surface.

Personally I think it was because the pussies in the U.S. construction
industry were getting too many splinters.

Thanks Andy,

During my apprenticeship back in the mid sixties, I built many a stud
partition wall but never heard of CLS though - rough sawn, dimension sawn,
PSE, PAR, TRADA etc but never CLS. Ah well, it's nice for an old 'chippie'
to still be able to learn.

Brian G

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott M

In2Minds wrote:
dividing a bathroom and will need to build an L shaped partition wall,
what would be the best method...

3x2 CLS or the metal framing stuff ? and what's that called ?

My vote's for 3x2 - cheap and cheerful but probably slightly more effort
to get flush at joins.

Scott