Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nis

Default Hot water problem driving me loopy...

Hi all,

Can anybody tell me if the following problem makes any sense.

The system is a traditional back boiler gas powered central heating
system (gravity based with a water cylinder in an airing cupboard
upstairs). The system has recently had a new pump fitted.

Students in that property are now complaining that there is no hot
water. When my plumber came and turned the hot water switch on (central
heating was kept off), it took a good few hours for the water to get
hot. He said its normal, and its more efficient if the water is never
switched off otherwise the whole water in the cylinder would need to
get warmed up every time - costing money.

The students are now saying that the water went gone off again by late
evening on the same day. They have done basic checks that i asked such
as:
1) Checked that the pilot light is on.
2) Checked that the thermostat is set high
3) Checked that the hot water switch is on

They say that there is still no hot water!. Is there an obvious reason?
The plumber denies theres a problem - but im wondering if he is just a
cowboy?!

My initial suspicions were that there is somethign wrong with the timer
- it does say 'ON' in the continuos position. Any ideas or should i
call a proper firm to sort it out?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

They say that there is still no hot water!. Is there an obvious reason?
The plumber denies theres a problem - but im wondering if he is just a
cowboy?!

There could be lots of reasons. Wiring issues, thermostat failure, boiler
problems, unreliable convection, unreasonably high expectations of
performance (convection circulated primary circuits are only intended to
heat enough hot water for a hamster to have a 10 second shower once a week).

There is simply not enough information here to determine which.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Nis wrote:
[...]

Is the actual burner lighting up?

Jesus! that must have cost you?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sPoNiX

On 25 Jan 2006 07:12:48 -0800, "Nis" wrote:

Hi all,

Can anybody tell me if the following problem makes any sense.

The system is a traditional back boiler gas powered central heating
system (gravity based with a water cylinder in an airing cupboard
upstairs). The system has recently had a new pump fitted.

What sort of cylinder is it?

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aidan

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Nis wrote:

Jesus! that must have cost you?

No, he's the landlord. It's costing the tenants.

He has a disincentive (?) on spending money on upgrading the
antediluvian, inefficient heating system or on a competent heating
technician.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Nis wrote:

[...]

I suspect that there's air in the gravity circuit - stopping it from
circulating properly. The first thing to check is that there's some water in
the fill & expansion tank. Chances are that the ball-valve has stuck closed
and the water has all evaporated - allowing air to be drawn in. The gravity
circuit would likely give up before the pumped heating circuit under these
circumstances.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nis

I had another chat with the tenants, it seems that the pilot light is
going out - even though it initially heats the water. Reading the posts
on this group seem to point to a problem with the thermocouple (or
possibly a draft - though i doubt this). Will get the plumber to take a
look.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nis

And yes... in my first post i did say they 'apparently' checked the
pilot light - see what i mean about unreliable information from
students?. Can you believe they even thought there was a ghost in the
house in the initial days!!!!! I told them i cant find a ghost catcher
and they should stop imaging things.