Posted to uk.d-i-y
al

Default Cheap bench grinders?

What does anyone think of items such as:

Main reasons to get it would be for re-grinding f**ked chisels, mower
blades, etc. along with removing burrs from any metal work I might get up
to. Don't want to spend too much as I won't use it that often, but don't
want it to catch fire either (oh .. such fond memories of my sub-£20 belt
sander that caught fire while sanding down the top of a door frame .. while
on a ladder (I'm sure there're at least a couple of lessons to be learnt
there!))!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

al wrote:
What does anyone think of items such as:

Main reasons to get it would be for re-grinding f**ked chisels, mower
blades, etc. along with removing burrs from any metal work I might
get up to. Don't want to spend too much as I won't use it that
often, but don't want it to catch fire either (oh .. such fond
memories of my sub-£20 belt sander that caught fire while sanding
down the top of a door frame .. while on a ladder (I'm sure there're
at least a couple of lessons to be learnt there!))!

How cheap do want it?
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/ranges.asp?g=106&r=2040
--?
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
al

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message

How cheap do want it?
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/ranges.asp?g=106&r=2040
--?
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Some of those £25 ones look as good! Weaker motors though. Is Rexon a good
make? Never used them before ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

al wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message

How cheap do want it?
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/ranges.asp?g=106&r=2040
--?
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Some of those £25 ones look as good! Weaker motors though. Is Rexon
a good make? Never used them before ...

Dunno? I bought an Aldi brand just before Xmas at £12, hell I might only
use it a few times it was bought just for exactly what you want it for,
sharpening chisles and blades.

--?
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:04:00 GMT, "al"
wrote:

What does anyone think of items such as:

Hold your nose and get on with it.

Axminster do a yellow Perform one for 20 quid. For 30 quid they even do
one with a geared-down 10" wet wheel, which is far more useful for
woodworking tools.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steven Campbell

"al" wrote in message
What does anyone think of items such as:

Main reasons to get it would be for re-grinding f**ked chisels, mower
blades, etc. along with removing burrs from any metal work I might get up
to. Don't want to spend too much as I won't use it that often, but don't
want it to catch fire either (oh .. such fond memories of my sub-£20 belt
sander that caught fire while sanding down the top of a door frame ..
while on a ladder (I'm sure there're at least a couple of lessons to be
learnt there!))!

I bought a Lidl one for £9.99 just for sharpening things. At that price it
is almost disposable ;o)

Lidl and Aldi have them on sale quite a lot. In fact I think my local in
Glasgow still have loads left.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Steven Campbell wrote:
"al" wrote in message
What does anyone think of items such as:

Main reasons to get it would be for re-grinding f**ked chisels, mower
blades, etc. along with removing burrs from any metal work I might
get up to. Don't want to spend too much as I won't use it that
often, but don't want it to catch fire either (oh .. such fond
memories of my sub-£20 belt sander that caught fire while sanding
down the top of a door frame .. while on a ladder (I'm sure there're
at least a couple of lessons to be learnt there!))!

I bought a Lidl one for £9.99 just for sharpening things. At that
price it is almost disposable ;o)

Lidl and Aldi have them on sale quite a lot. In fact I think my local
in Glasgow still have loads left.

Hmmm! I was under the impression Lidl was slighty more expensive than Aldi?

--?
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
I bought an Aldi brand just before Xmas at £12

Shh! So did I. Goes well when I don't want to use the yellow jobbie.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
al

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
Axminster do a yellow Perform one for 20 quid. For 30 quid they even do
one with a geared-down 10" wet wheel, which is far more useful for
woodworking tools.

Hmmm ... interesting. So hard with cheap tools not to be blinded with
"features". They all scream out for marketing stamps they can use to go one
up on the next cheapo maker (18V battery ... WOW! ... pity it lasts 37
seconds on idle eh?!, etc. etc.). Now the wetstone does look in theory like
it could be quite useful. I've really buggered a few chisels and a plane
blade by hitting hidden nails and could do with grinding a new face
completely, followed by honing in a nice sharp edge. The latter I would
have normally done manually on a wetstone (and not very well angle wise - I
don't use a rest tool!), but it would be nice to set an angle accurately and
quickly/evenly get a good edge.

Do you think such a tool would live up to my expectations in that manner?
The description on the website's a bit vague on tool resting and sounds a
bit DIY rather than accurate to 0.1 degrees!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
al

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
Axminster do a yellow Perform one for 20 quid. For 30 quid they even do
one with a geared-down 10" wet wheel, which is far more useful for
woodworking tools.

Screw it (so to speak ...!) ... I've gone for it and a few little
woodworking bits & bobs I've half-needed for a while to bring it up to the
£45 level for free P&P (just can't ignore an offer eh?).

Thanks for all the advice - hopefully it won't blow up on me, especially now
there's water involved!! ;o)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 00:12:41 GMT, "al"
wrote:

Thanks for all the advice - hopefully it won't blow up on me, especially now
there's water involved!! ;o)

Empty it out at night in this weather. I was using Dad's over Christmas
and the stone froze into the pond! Had to take it indoors and poor the
kettle in there to get it going again.

The blade guide is rubbish - that plastic bucket is just too flexible.
It's a coarse stone though, so it will do its work quickly. Not a bad
bit of kit for HSS woodturning gouges held freehand (which isn't as hard
as people make out) but it's much coarser than I'd ever use for a good
woodworking bench tool. OTOH, my last sharpening stone (of the several
dozen I use) cost me over a hundred just for the stone. I'm a bit picky
on sharpening....
Posted to uk.d-i-y
al

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
The blade guide is rubbish - that plastic bucket is just too flexible.
It's a coarse stone though, so it will do its work quickly. Not a bad
bit of kit for HSS woodturning gouges held freehand (which isn't as hard
as people make out) but it's much coarser than I'd ever use for a good
woodworking bench tool. OTOH, my last sharpening stone (of the several
dozen I use) cost me over a hundred just for the stone. I'm a bit picky
on sharpening....

My chisels are rubbish anyway - a cheap kit. They work well when sharp for
a while but blunt quickly. Fine for small amounts of work and I've always
managed a good edge with a fine dry stone. Just get a bit reckless with
them sometimes and hit stuff I shouldn't ;o)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

|What does anyone think of items such as:
|
|http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...93563&ts=46379
|

|Main reasons to get it would be for re-grinding f**ked chisels, mower
|blades, etc. along with removing burrs from any metal work I might get up
|to. Don't want to spend too much as I won't use it that often, but don't
|want it to catch fire either (oh .. such fond memories of my sub-£20 belt
|sander that caught fire while sanding down the top of a door frame .. while
|on a ladder (I'm sure there're at least a couple of lessons to be learnt
|there!))!

Mine is even cheaper from Lidl. Works fine for the uses you suggest, but
I must always keep the motor speed high and can not lean hard on the
chisel.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net