Posted to uk.d-i-y
al

Default Cheap bench grinders?

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
Axminster do a yellow Perform one for 20 quid. For 30 quid they even do
one with a geared-down 10" wet wheel, which is far more useful for
woodworking tools.

Hmmm ... interesting. So hard with cheap tools not to be blinded with
"features". They all scream out for marketing stamps they can use to go one
up on the next cheapo maker (18V battery ... WOW! ... pity it lasts 37
seconds on idle eh?!, etc. etc.). Now the wetstone does look in theory like
it could be quite useful. I've really buggered a few chisels and a plane
blade by hitting hidden nails and could do with grinding a new face
completely, followed by honing in a nice sharp edge. The latter I would
have normally done manually on a wetstone (and not very well angle wise - I
don't use a rest tool!), but it would be nice to set an angle accurately and
quickly/evenly get a good edge.

Do you think such a tool would live up to my expectations in that manner?
The description on the website's a bit vague on tool resting and sounds a
bit DIY rather than accurate to 0.1 degrees!