Posted to uk.d-i-y
al

Default Cheap bench grinders?

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
The blade guide is rubbish - that plastic bucket is just too flexible.
It's a coarse stone though, so it will do its work quickly. Not a bad
bit of kit for HSS woodturning gouges held freehand (which isn't as hard
as people make out) but it's much coarser than I'd ever use for a good
woodworking bench tool. OTOH, my last sharpening stone (of the several
dozen I use) cost me over a hundred just for the stone. I'm a bit picky
on sharpening....

My chisels are rubbish anyway - a cheap kit. They work well when sharp for
a while but blunt quickly. Fine for small amounts of work and I've always
managed a good edge with a fine dry stone. Just get a bit reckless with
them sometimes and hit stuff I shouldn't ;o)