Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jon Telfer

Default Can I put expanding foam round copper gas pipes?

Hi all,
I had a couple of mice move in for winter (2 trapped within 2 days and
nothing in the last week) and I'm trying to seal their route in. They came
from the void in the bottom of the house and up through gaps round the gas
pipes leading to the meter under the stairs. So can I squirt some PU foam
to fill the gaps? Is it a risk to the pipes?

Thanks,

Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 16:02:48 +0000, Jon Telfer
wrote:

|Hi all,
| I had a couple of mice move in for winter (2 trapped within 2 days and
|nothing in the last week) and I'm trying to seal their route in. They came
|from the void in the bottom of the house and up through gaps round the gas
|pipes leading to the meter under the stairs. So can I squirt some PU foam
|to fill the gaps? Is it a risk to the pipes?

Pack the hole with steel wool or brillo pads first, then follow with filler
or something. Mice can eat most things, but they do not like steel wool.

Mice can get through a hole which you can get a pencil through, or arguably
two pencils.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

wrote:

Hi all,
I had a couple of mice move in for winter (2 trapped within 2 days
and nothing in the last week) and I'm trying to seal their route in.
They came from the void in the bottom of the house and up through
gaps round the gas pipes leading to the meter under the stairs. So
can I squirt some PU foam to fill the gaps? Is it a risk to the
pipes?

Pack the hole with steel wool or brillo pads first, then follow with
filler or something. Mice can eat most things, but they do not like
steel wool.

my dad used to make papier maché with meece poison and block the
holes where the meeces would try to get in, with predictable results :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

wrote:

|Hi all,
| I had a couple of mice move in for winter (2 trapped within 2 days and
|nothing in the last week) and I'm trying to seal their route in. They came
|from the void in the bottom of the house and up through gaps round the gas
|pipes leading to the meter under the stairs. So can I squirt some PU foam
|to fill the gaps? Is it a risk to the pipes?

Pack the hole with steel wool or brillo pads first, then follow with filler
or something. Mice can eat most things, but they do not like steel wool.

Mice can get through a hole which you can get a pencil through, or arguably
two pencils.

Steel wool in contact with copper?

Doesn't seem like a good idea, electrolytically.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Hodges

Andy Hall wrote:
Steel wool in contact with copper?

Doesn't seem like a good idea, electrolytically.

Insulation/gaffer tape in between then?

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigBrian

bonding, this what i used, assuming gap is not too big; then i put
cemet on top; worked for the squirrel that was trying get in!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigBrian

bonding, this what i used, assuming gap is not too big; then i put
cemet on top; worked for the squirrel that was trying get in!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Be really careful with this - my daughter's partner did exacty this
including switching off all flames, including the boiler pilot light -
but the whole lot exploded on him when he applied the filler round
pipes as you were describing. There did not appear to be a igniting
source so it may have been a dust explosion - he was fortunate to lose
a bit of hair, eyebrows, etc. But the flame front was big enough to
set fire to the curtains.

Don't know what to suggest other than plenty of ventilation.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message .com,
" writes
Be really careful with this - my daughter's partner did exacty this
including switching off all flames, including the boiler pilot light -

Why ?

but the whole lot exploded on him when he applied the filler round
pipes as you were describing. There did not appear to be a igniting
source so it may have been a dust explosion - he was fortunate to lose
a bit of hair, eyebrows, etc. But the flame front was big enough to
set fire to the curtains.

Very strange

Don't know what to suggest other than plenty of ventilation.

Rob

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
In message .com,
" writes
Be really careful with this - my daughter's partner did exacty this
including switching off all flames, including the boiler pilot light -

Why ?

but the whole lot exploded on him when he applied the filler round
pipes as you were describing. There did not appear to be a igniting
source so it may have been a dust explosion - he was fortunate to lose
a bit of hair, eyebrows, etc. But the flame front was big enough to
set fire to the curtains.

Very strange

Don't know what to suggest other than plenty of ventilation.

Rob

--
geoff

I think Rob has misread the OP.

Here's my two pence worth:
Expanding foam is fine around copper pipes.
Certain fillers are also okay but I've used a filler in the past which
did react with the copper - can't remember the brand/type though but it
was in a small ready mixed tub.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 19:18:15 GMT, Chris Hodges
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
Steel wool in contact with copper?

Doesn't seem like a good idea, electrolytically.

Insulation/gaffer tape in between then?

Denso tape. That is used when burying a copper pipe in concrete.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aidan

Jon Telfer wrote:

They came
from the void in the bottom of the house and up through gaps round the gas
pipes leading to the meter under the stairs. So can I squirt some PU foam
to fill the gaps?

Yes. I'd cut a couple of bits of wood to fit neatly around the pipes
and screw them to the floorboards.

You seem to be considering how to seal the gap which allows the mice
into the understairs cupboard from the underfloor void. I'd suggest
that you need to seal any gaps that allowed them into the underfloor
void from outside AND poison & trap any that are infesting the
underfloor void. Mice can gnaw the PVC insulation on electric cables.
You don't want them occupying any part of your house.

Is it a risk to the pipes?

No.