Posted to uk.d-i-y
Est

Default Genuine oak curtain poles

Hi all. Does anyone know of someplace I can get a curtain pole that's
actually made of oak, rather than a pine pole that's just stained an
oak colour? The only place I know of is Habitat, but their poles are
very contemporary, and also only 28mm in diameter whereas I'd like a
traditional, 35mm pole.

If only I had thought about this before my parents had an oak tree
felled and chopped up!

Cheers,

Est

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Est wrote:
Hi all. Does anyone know of someplace I can get a curtain pole that's
actually made of oak, rather than a pine pole that's just stained an
oak colour? The only place I know of is Habitat, but their poles are
very contemporary, and also only 28mm in diameter whereas I'd like a
traditional, 35mm pole.

If only I had thought about this before my parents had an oak tree
felled and chopped up!

Obtain an oak 2*2, run it a couple of times through a circular saw, then
have at it with a plane?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On 15 Jan 2006 12:19:51 -0800, "Est" wrote:

Hi all. Does anyone know of someplace I can get a curtain pole that's
actually made of oak,

Any furniture maker should be able to do that - doubt you'll find one
off the shelf without paying Notting Hill prices though. It's saw and
hand work to round it, with a rounding plane, rather than lathe turning.
Any turner can knock up the end finials and the supports though.

Price also depends a bit on how long you want it, and whether you mind a
central support. I certainly don't keep 2" oak boards on hand in the
full length for the longest of curtain poles, and sawing it down from
timber-framing sizes (6 inch squares and upwards) would be a bit
wasteful. 6' in a span is easy, longer than that might want a bit of
carpentry to join two lengths.

Personally I'd do it in ash, because it's stronger and the figure is
identical to oak from any more than a few feet away. Staining is fine if
it's just to change colour, but you need to have underlying figure
that's from the same sort of tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
marble

On 15 Jan 2006 12:19:51 -0800, "Est" wrote:

Hi all. Does anyone know of someplace I can get a curtain pole that's
actually made of oak, rather than a pine pole that's just stained an
oak colour? The only place I know of is Habitat, but their poles are
very contemporary, and also only 28mm in diameter whereas I'd like a
traditional, 35mm pole.

If only I had thought about this before my parents had an oak tree
felled and chopped up!

Cheers,

Est

http://www.polesdirect.com/curtainpoles_wood.asp
do a lot of woden curtain poles. They are cheaper than even the
discount curtain warehouse type places and even do poles up to 4m
which I had been unable to find in the shops.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

marble wrote:

http://www.polesdirect.com/curtainpoles_wood.asp
do a lot of woden curtain poles. They are cheaper than even the
discount curtain warehouse type places and even do poles up to 4m
which I had been unable to find in the shops.

Yes, but they're not oak, are they. They're stained pine.

--
Grunff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
marble

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:04:42 +0000, Grunff wrote:

marble wrote:

http://www.polesdirect.com/curtainpoles_wood.asp
do a lot of woden curtain poles. They are cheaper than even the
discount curtain warehouse type places and even do poles up to 4m
which I had been unable to find in the shops.

Yes, but they're not oak, are they. They're stained pine.

Could they legaly sell pine as:
"High quality Light Oak wood pole" ?

This one doesnt look like pine, but not sure it looks exactly like Oak
either:
http://www.polesdirect.com/details.asp?ID=2799

Look at these:
http://www.polesdirect.com/details.asp?ID=2844
http://www.polesdirect.com/details.asp?ID=2829

They are supposed to be different wood but they have the same "worm
holes" etc. They are clearly the same picture (of a pine pole) tinted
differently.

Their crap pictures are doing them no favours. I've emailed them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

marble wrote:

http://www.polesdirect.com/curtainpoles_wood.asp
do a lot of woden curtain poles. They are cheaper than even the
discount curtain warehouse type places and even do poles up to 4m
which I had been unable to find in the shops.

Yes, but they're not oak, are they. They're stained pine.

Could they legaly sell pine as:
"High quality Light Oak wood pole" ?

I think the antique pine might not really be antique.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
marble

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:53:55 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

marble wrote:

http://www.polesdirect.com/curtainpoles_wood.asp
do a lot of woden curtain poles. They are cheaper than even the
discount curtain warehouse type places and even do poles up to 4m
which I had been unable to find in the shops.

Yes, but they're not oak, are they. They're stained pine.

Could they legaly sell pine as:
"High quality Light Oak wood pole" ?

I think the antique pine might not really be antique.

Is it even Pine?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:01:33 GMT, marble
wrote:

Is it even Pine?

Could be Scots pine or Doug fir. These are the likely cheap options for
something that's strong and straight-grained enough to make curtain
poles.

Most white softwood "pine" is hemlock or spruce.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

wrote:

Is it even Pine?

Could be Scots pine or Doug fir. These are the likely cheap options for
something that's strong and straight-grained enough to make curtain
poles.

Most white softwood "pine" is hemlock or spruce.

A bit like so-called "wrought iron", which is virtually always just
black mild steel.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:48:52 +0000 (UTC), Frank Erskine
wrote:

Most white softwood "pine" is hemlock or spruce.

A bit like so-called "wrought iron", which is virtually always just
black mild steel.

And "stained glass" which is stick-on lead strip and paint.

I sell stuff made out of both (the real versions). If only I had as many
sales as I do people asking why one costs more than the "same thing" in
B&Q.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
marble

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:15:17 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

And "stained glass" which is stick-on lead strip and paint.

I sell stuff made out of both (the real versions). If only I had as many
sales as I do people asking why one costs more than the "same thing" in
B&Q.

OT but:

Can a pane of real leaded lights contained within a sealed unit be
acceptable for FENSA?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

wrote:

And "stained glass" which is stick-on lead strip and paint.

I sell stuff made out of both (the real versions). If only I had as many
sales as I do people asking why one costs more than the "same thing" in
B&Q.

OT but:

Can a pane of real leaded lights contained within a sealed unit be
acceptable for FENSA?

I think you'd need to fit it in addition to a standard unit -
effectively triple glazing.

problems with curtain tracking [email protected] UK diy 2 October 20th 05 01:04 PM
Finding replacement curtain rail fixings [email protected] UK diy 3 July 8th 05 12:03 AM
shower curtain rod Jack Home Repair 5 February 1st 05 08:20 PM
Curtain poles JoeBhoy UK diy 2 November 26th 04 04:14 PM
track join not even causing curtain hooks to get stuck... sandiyan UK diy 1 May 6th 04 06:26 PM