Jack

Default shower curtain rod

I have a fiberglass single-piece shower/tub unit that I purchased with
my new home several years ago. It is almost identical to the units you
can purchase at Home Depot.

I noticed that once in a while the shower curtain doesn't get closed
right, and water leaks out. And so I'm working on installing clips and
other things, but...

I am also wondering where is the correct location to position the
shower curtain rod?

Meaning, should it be directly above the inside edge of the tub, or
should it be more towards the outside edge of the tub so that it hides
the shower unit better?

My builder did the latter, but in looking at how to minimize leaks in
the future, the former seems to make more sense. It is the difference
of about 6 inches. If I hang it over the inside edge then the shower
curtain goes straight down into the tub, while if I leave it where the
builder put it, it angles in towards the tub.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jack" wrote in message
I am also wondering where is the correct location to position the
shower curtain rod?

Where the water does not leak out.

Meaning, should it be directly above the inside edge of the tub, or
should it be more towards the outside edge of the tub so that it hides
the shower unit better?

My builder did the latter, but in looking at how to minimize leaks in
the future, the former seems to make more sense.

He does not care, it just got put up and he fulfilled his obligation.

Jeff Wisnia

Jack wrote:

I have a fiberglass single-piece shower/tub unit that I purchased with
my new home several years ago. It is almost identical to the units you
can purchase at Home Depot.

I noticed that once in a while the shower curtain doesn't get closed
right, and water leaks out. And so I'm working on installing clips and
other things, but...

snipped

You might also look into picking up a pair of those stick-on plastic
corner fillers to block the corners where the tub's side meets the end
walls. They attach with double sided foam tape and force the water to
run back down inside the tub rather than outside onto the floor.

They cost peanuts and really work well.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Jim M

Hey There Jack...

you need to put the spring loade curtain rod inside the tub and as high
as you can. Then because the curtain rod can be seen you need to install a
secon one outside the tub and hang a Vailance ----hope I spelt that right.
could take digital photos if you want...just reply to this posting
here....Jim

"Jack" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Colbyt

"Jack" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Jack,

We usually two rods if there is a fabric outer curtain. The plastic one
should be installed so that the liner hangs straight down inside the tub.
If the second rod is used for fabric it should be placed about 2" to the
room side of the tub. This would place them about 6" apart or as you
mentioned above.

This may not solve your problem due to the design of some of the fiberglass
tubs. They sell all kinds of peel and stick wings that may help. Shower
doors are a sure fire fix.

--
Colbyt
The only thing I do professionally is window treatment installations.

Kevin

Jack wrote:

[...]

We used to have these plastic things, ~a foot long, of which ~1/3 was
gently curved to a 90-degree angle into an EL that had a couple of hooks
on the short leg, with holes on the long one. The holes would be
clipped to the shower curtain hangers while the short leg hooks would be
used to extend the inner, plastic liner "around the corner" into the
shower, leaving the exterior fabric, "pretty" curtain running straight
to the wall.

Eventually they broke, but worked quite well. Haven't seen them in
years, too bad.

I hope that makes any sense.