Gary Dyrkacz

Default Holes in tile from Shower Curtain - What to do?

Hi,
We are redoing a bathroom and one of the changes is to replace a
shower curtain with a shower door for the tub. The problem is that
the shower curtain rod is drilled into the ceramic tiles such that
four 4" tiles are damaged on each wall. The shower door end pieces
will be about four inches below that height. The holes are pretty
obvious from the doorway of the bathroom. The house is 27 yrs old, so
there is little chance of finding the same ceramic tile to match.
Moreover, I really hate to take out all three tile walls, and redo the
bath area. The existing wall is in good shape and the tile solidly on
the wall. The ideas we have had so far a

To just fill the holes as best we can. Since the holes can be seen
from the doorway it will look a bit tacky. However, this is the
cheapest route.

We considered a tub surround to go over the tile to match the new
vanity, but were floored by the $1200 bill for Swanstone.

I can retile the entire area, but again I hate to take out a good wall
and start all over. Cetainly new tile would be much cheaper than the
surround (monetarily, not work-wise).

We also thought of taking out the four tiles that the screwholes
impinge on, and replacing with some kind of decorative tile of a
different style.

So what am interested in is, what others have done in a similar
situation.

Thanks,

Gary Dyrkacz

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.attbi.com/~dyrgcmn/
Joe Bobst

We also thought of taking out the four tiles that the screwholes
impinge on, and replacing with some kind of decorative tile of a
different style.

Seems to be a reasonable and cost effective solution. Some months ago there was
an article in This Old House magazine on decorative tile. Might be worth the
time to check out that and also ads in some of the magazines at your library
for companies that specialize in such items. That is, if you don't find what
you like at a local tile outlet. You've already done a Google search, right?
HTH

Joe

Brian V

what about taking the tiles out that have the holes in them, take out a tile
where the new shower door support will be and swap them? That way the one
with the holes in it will be covered by the new door support.

"Joe Bobst" wrote in message
We also thought of taking out the four tiles that the screwholes
impinge on, and replacing with some kind of decorative tile of a
different style.

Seems to be a reasonable and cost effective solution. Some months ago

there was
an article in This Old House magazine on decorative tile. Might be worth

the
time to check out that and also ads in some of the magazines at your

library
for companies that specialize in such items. That is, if you don't find

what
you like at a local tile outlet. You've already done a Google search,

right?
HTH

Its easy. just chisel out the old tiles and glue in some new ones.
I do it all the time no problem. be careful when chiseling. the
tiles will break into pieces and could cut your eye. wear goggles.

Joe

power/electric shower Graham Wilson UK diy 1 May 29th 04 01:07 PM
ceramic tile on sheet rock question TM Home Repair 21 December 13th 03 06:58 PM
Boring dog holes... Silvan Woodworking 5 November 4th 03 07:10 PM
Tile Indentation & Cracking, Installer, and the Attorney General Ben Home Repair 8 July 18th 03 02:25 PM