Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Gary Dyrkacz

Default Holes in tile from Shower Curtain - What to do?

Hi,
We are redoing a bathroom and one of the changes is to replace a
shower curtain with a shower door for the tub. The problem is that
the shower curtain rod is drilled into the ceramic tiles such that
four 4" tiles are damaged on each wall. The shower door end pieces
will be about four inches below that height. The holes are pretty
obvious from the doorway of the bathroom. The house is 27 yrs old, so
there is little chance of finding the same ceramic tile to match.
Moreover, I really hate to take out all three tile walls, and redo the
bath area. The existing wall is in good shape and the tile solidly on
the wall. The ideas we have had so far a

To just fill the holes as best we can. Since the holes can be seen
from the doorway it will look a bit tacky. However, this is the
cheapest route.

We considered a tub surround to go over the tile to match the new
vanity, but were floored by the $1200 bill for Swanstone.

I can retile the entire area, but again I hate to take out a good wall
and start all over. Cetainly new tile would be much cheaper than the
surround (monetarily, not work-wise).

We also thought of taking out the four tiles that the screwholes
impinge on, and replacing with some kind of decorative tile of a
different style.

So what am interested in is, what others have done in a similar
situation.

Thanks,

Gary Dyrkacz

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.attbi.com/~dyrgcmn/
Bill Seurer

Gary Dyrkacz wrote:

We also thought of taking out the four tiles that the screwholes
impinge on, and replacing with some kind of decorative tile of a
different style.

So what am interested in is, what others have done in a similar
situation.

How aobut mounting some sort of decorative tile or plate over the holes?
doubter

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 00:02:05 GMT, Gary Dyrkacz wrote:

We also thought of taking out the four tiles that the screwholes
impinge on, and replacing with some kind of decorative tile of a
different style.

So what am interested in is, what others have done in a similar
situation.

Thanks,

Gary Dyrkacz

Gary, maybe it's more work than you wanted but you might consider
"randomly" replacing other tiles in the shower with the decorative tiles
in addition to the four damaged tiles. Instead of calling attention the
original damaged area it would make it look like the decorative tiles are
part of the design scheme.

Florida Tile LD Home Repair 16 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Boring dog holes... Silvan Woodworking 5 November 4th 03 07:10 PM