DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Genuine oak curtain poles (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/140342-genuine-oak-curtain-poles.html)

Est January 15th 06 08:19 PM

Genuine oak curtain poles

Hi all. Does anyone know of someplace I can get a curtain pole that's
actually made of oak, rather than a pine pole that's just stained an
oak colour? The only place I know of is Habitat, but their poles are
very contemporary, and also only 28mm in diameter whereas I'd like a
traditional, 35mm pole.

If only I had thought about this before my parents had an oak tree
felled and chopped up!

Cheers,

Est

Ian Stirling January 15th 06 09:37 PM

Genuine oak curtain poles

Est wrote:
Hi all. Does anyone know of someplace I can get a curtain pole that's
actually made of oak, rather than a pine pole that's just stained an
oak colour? The only place I know of is Habitat, but their poles are
very contemporary, and also only 28mm in diameter whereas I'd like a
traditional, 35mm pole.

If only I had thought about this before my parents had an oak tree
felled and chopped up!

Obtain an oak 2*2, run it a couple of times through a circular saw, then
have at it with a plane?

Andy Dingley January 15th 06 09:58 PM

Genuine oak curtain poles

On 15 Jan 2006 12:19:51 -0800, "Est" wrote:

Hi all. Does anyone know of someplace I can get a curtain pole that's
actually made of oak,

Any furniture maker should be able to do that - doubt you'll find one
off the shelf without paying Notting Hill prices though. It's saw and
hand work to round it, with a rounding plane, rather than lathe turning.
Any turner can knock up the end finials and the supports though.

Price also depends a bit on how long you want it, and whether you mind a
central support. I certainly don't keep 2" oak boards on hand in the
full length for the longest of curtain poles, and sawing it down from
timber-framing sizes (6 inch squares and upwards) would be a bit
wasteful. 6' in a span is easy, longer than that might want a bit of
carpentry to join two lengths.

Personally I'd do it in ash, because it's stronger and the figure is
identical to oak from any more than a few feet away. Staining is fine if
it's just to change colour, but you need to have underlying figure
that's from the same sort of tree.

marble January 16th 06 10:14 AM

Genuine oak curtain poles

On 15 Jan 2006 12:19:51 -0800, "Est" wrote:

Hi all. Does anyone know of someplace I can get a curtain pole that's
actually made of oak, rather than a pine pole that's just stained an
oak colour? The only place I know of is Habitat, but their poles are
very contemporary, and also only 28mm in diameter whereas I'd like a
traditional, 35mm pole.

If only I had thought about this before my parents had an oak tree
felled and chopped up!

Cheers,

Est

http://www.polesdirect.com/curtainpoles_wood.asp
do a lot of woden curtain poles. They are cheaper than even the
discount curtain warehouse type places and even do poles up to 4m
which I had been unable to find in the shops.

Grunff January 16th 06 01:04 PM

Genuine oak curtain poles

marble wrote:

http://www.polesdirect.com/curtainpoles_wood.asp
do a lot of woden curtain poles. They are cheaper than even the
discount curtain warehouse type places and even do poles up to 4m
which I had been unable to find in the shops.

Yes, but they're not oak, are they. They're stained pine.

--
Grunff

marble January 16th 06 06:03 PM

Genuine oak curtain poles

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:04:42 +0000, Grunff wrote:

marble wrote:

http://www.polesdirect.com/curtainpoles_wood.asp
do a lot of woden curtain poles. They are cheaper than even the
discount curtain warehouse type places and even do poles up to 4m
which I had been unable to find in the shops.

Yes, but they're not oak, are they. They're stained pine.

Could they legaly sell pine as:
"High quality Light Oak wood pole" ?

This one doesnt look like pine, but not sure it looks exactly like Oak
either:
http://www.polesdirect.com/details.asp?ID=2799

Look at these:
http://www.polesdirect.com/details.asp?ID=2844
http://www.polesdirect.com/details.asp?ID=2829

They are supposed to be different wood but they have the same "worm
holes" etc. They are clearly the same picture (of a pine pole) tinted
differently.

Their crap pictures are doing them no favours. I've emailed them.

Rob Morley January 17th 06 01:53 PM

Genuine oak curtain poles

marble wrote:

http://www.polesdirect.com/curtainpoles_wood.asp
do a lot of woden curtain poles. They are cheaper than even the
discount curtain warehouse type places and even do poles up to 4m
which I had been unable to find in the shops.

Yes, but they're not oak, are they. They're stained pine.

Could they legaly sell pine as:
"High quality Light Oak wood pole" ?

I think the antique pine might not really be antique.

marble January 17th 06 02:01 PM

Genuine oak curtain poles

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:53:55 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

marble wrote:

http://www.polesdirect.com/curtainpoles_wood.asp
do a lot of woden curtain poles. They are cheaper than even the
discount curtain warehouse type places and even do poles up to 4m
which I had been unable to find in the shops.

Yes, but they're not oak, are they. They're stained pine.

Could they legaly sell pine as:
"High quality Light Oak wood pole" ?

I think the antique pine might not really be antique.

Is it even Pine?

Andy Dingley January 17th 06 02:30 PM

Genuine oak curtain poles

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:01:33 GMT, marble
wrote:

Is it even Pine?

Could be Scots pine or Doug fir. These are the likely cheap options for
something that's strong and straight-grained enough to make curtain
poles.

Most white softwood "pine" is hemlock or spruce.

Frank Erskine January 17th 06 03:48 PM

Genuine oak curtain poles

wrote:

Is it even Pine?

Could be Scots pine or Doug fir. These are the likely cheap options for
something that's strong and straight-grained enough to make curtain
poles.

Most white softwood "pine" is hemlock or spruce.

A bit like so-called "wrought iron", which is virtually always just
black mild steel.

--
Frank Erskine

Andy Dingley January 17th 06 06:15 PM

Genuine oak curtain poles

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:48:52 +0000 (UTC), Frank Erskine
wrote:

Most white softwood "pine" is hemlock or spruce.

A bit like so-called "wrought iron", which is virtually always just
black mild steel.

And "stained glass" which is stick-on lead strip and paint.

I sell stuff made out of both (the real versions). If only I had as many
sales as I do people asking why one costs more than the "same thing" in
B&Q.

marble January 18th 06 05:49 AM

Genuine oak curtain poles

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:15:17 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

And "stained glass" which is stick-on lead strip and paint.

I sell stuff made out of both (the real versions). If only I had as many
sales as I do people asking why one costs more than the "same thing" in
B&Q.

OT but:

Can a pane of real leaded lights contained within a sealed unit be
acceptable for FENSA?

Rob Morley January 18th 06 10:17 AM

Genuine oak curtain poles

wrote:

And "stained glass" which is stick-on lead strip and paint.

I sell stuff made out of both (the real versions). If only I had as many
sales as I do people asking why one costs more than the "same thing" in
B&Q.

OT but:

Can a pane of real leaded lights contained within a sealed unit be
acceptable for FENSA?

I think you'd need to fit it in addition to a standard unit -
effectively triple glazing.