Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Dodd

Default Update: The desk dilema / Wall fixiings

Just a quick update on the dilema the earlier post on wall fixings
(dry-lined wall / battens for built-in desks) - in case anyone is interesed.

In the end I decided against legs-all-around, simply because I really
wanted / preferred the idea of the (already cut) desktops being
wall-to-wall and gaining much of their rigidity from the walls (so,
rubber ducky decision point reversed!)

I then decided to use the simplest of the wall mounting methods (frame
fixing plugs - thanks Mike Clarke), with the intention that if that
wasn't sufficient, to progress to the next easiest (the dowel idea -
thanks - Set Square) and finally onto what at work we agreed is the best
solution, albeit the most disruptive - the embedded batten in wall, up
to the block - thanks David Lang).

Anyway, to cut a long story short, the frame fixing screws/plugs worked
a treat. I think for this application where 99% of the force is a sheer
force applied down onto the battens, and supplemented by a couple of
legs at the front then these do appear ideal.

Now, a couple of whinges -

Why does DIY take, say, 2 hours, but the shifting of 2 person's worth of
junk in and out of another room (our bedroom, in this case) take 4?
(hint: good idea using the bedroom - gave me incentive to move all the
stuff back afterwards, that or sleep on the couch).

Why can we buy frame fixings with a posidrive head significantly larger
than a "size 3" (whatever that is) - Wickes sell these, as do CPC (for
significantly less than the sheds); But at 17:00 on a Friday evening you
can't buy a suitable screwdriver? (the sheds only sell toy-screwdrivers,
it'd seem).

Why then, do I have to consign my 10mm x 115mm, £1.50 for ten packs of
frame fixings to the shed, and buy a pack of 16 for £10 from B&Q, just
so that I can buy a screwdriver to fit? (B&Q sell frame fixings with
smaller driver-sized heads).

Why do all the small independent tool stockist lock their doors at
17:00, when they advertise that they open 'til 17:30? (glares at
Speedwell Tools / Preston)

....and Finally, why do a job like this on the weekend when the missus is
off partying with her sisters - those frame fixings take some serious
screwdriving - knackered my wrists - now what'm I supposed to do with
the rest of the weekend?

(Sorry, but in case you hadn't noticed, I was getting mightily
****ed-off on the whole screwdriver debacle - something to do with
travelling a total of some 20 miles in rush-hour traffic over a period
of nearly 2 hrs to buy a bloody screwdriver, and failing)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:23:07 +0000, Mike Dodd wrote:

Finally, why do a job like this on the weekend when the missus is
off partying with her sisters - those frame fixings take some serious
screwdriving - knackered my wrists - now what'm I supposed to do with
the rest of the weekend?

Can't even have a wnak then. ;-)

What did you screw the fixings in to? Incidentally, I've found that
using PVA to stick the battens to the wall gives extra grip.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

|...and Finally, why do a job like this on the weekend when the missus is
|off partying with her sisters - those frame fixings take some serious
|screwdriving - knackered my wrists - now what'm I supposed to do with
|the rest of the weekend?

Got the answer to knackered wrists.
If it is hard to screwdriver into anything, take the screw out, run a
larger pilot hole into the wood/wall plug/anything. Then put a little
penetrating oil on the screw. Cooking oil works as well. Soap off a 1/2
used bar also works, if you don't mind the screw rusting in *solid*.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:23:07 +0000, Mike Dodd wrote:

Finally, why do a job like this on the weekend when the missus is
off partying with her sisters - those frame fixings take some serious
screwdriving - knackered my wrists - now what'm I supposed to do with
the rest of the weekend?

Can't even have a wnak then. ;-)

He probably doesn't even like Chinese food
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Dodd

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:23:07 +0000, Mike Dodd wrote:

Finally, why do a job like this on the weekend when the missus is
off partying with her sisters - those frame fixings take some serious
screwdriving - knackered my wrists - now what'm I supposed to do with
the rest of the weekend?

Can't even have a wnak then. ;-)

What did you screw the fixings in to? Incidentally, I've found that
using PVA to stick the battens to the wall gives extra grip.

Into?, that crappy aerated concrete block, I guess (although the DeWalt
made quick work of it, I'm of the belief that a blunt spoon could have
as easily bored the holes.

(And yes, deliberate attempt at humour in my first post

PVA?, All that'd bond to would be the paper skim on the plasterboard?,
maybe it'd help but to be honest I don't think the battens are going
anywhere in a hurry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
Mike Dodd wrote:
snip

Why can we buy frame fixings with a posidrive head significantly larger
than a "size 3" (whatever that is) - Wickes sell these, as do CPC (for
significantly less than the sheds); But at 17:00 on a Friday evening you
can't buy a suitable screwdriver? (the sheds only sell toy-screwdrivers,
it'd seem).

Did they not have the right size spiral ratchet or impact driver bit?
Those are what I tend to use for larger screws.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Dodd

Rob Morley wrote:
In article
Mike Dodd wrote:
snip

Why can we buy frame fixings with a posidrive head significantly larger
than a "size 3" (whatever that is) - Wickes sell these, as do CPC (for
significantly less than the sheds); But at 17:00 on a Friday evening you
can't buy a suitable screwdriver? (the sheds only sell toy-screwdrivers,
it'd seem).

Did they not have the right size spiral ratchet or impact driver bit?
Those are what I tend to use for larger screws.

Lol, no, no, and thrice no. Hence my annoyance.

.... and my reason for buying new frame-fixings from a place that sold a
suitable screwdriver for em.

I was contemplating (although remember I was racing against the clock)
trying halfrauds - maybe auto work needs bigger "man-sized" tools?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
Mike Dodd wrote:
snip
I was contemplating (although remember I was racing against the clock)
trying halfrauds - maybe auto work needs bigger "man-sized" tools?

Big pozidrives are often used for stuff like car door hinges.

Desk horizontal JustMe UK diy 6 December 19th 05 02:48 AM
Do I need through wall flashing where roof interests stone wall? lance hirsch Home Repair 2 November 6th 05 09:12 PM
Cinder Block Retaining Wall Question [email protected] Home Repair 5 September 15th 05 06:12 PM
Raising shed walls/trusses keyridge Woodworking 12 July 8th 05 12:54 PM
Rain seeping inside through concrete block wall above grade (Warning: LONG explanation) Vinnie Murdico Home Repair 9 September 8th 04 02:43 AM