Posted to uk.d-i-y
JustMe

Default Desk horizontal

Hi,

I'm building a desk by fixing a sheet of laminated MDF to a wall along a
2x2" strip that runs the length of the back and one side of the desk, with
aluminium tube legs as support at the front.

The floor of the room (1st floor, timber boards on joists, 100 years old,
just hardboarded and shortly to be carpeted) has an incline of up to
2cms/metre along the direction of the length of the desk. The desk itself
will be quite long (2.5m at the back and 2m at the front - it's a trapezoid
shape a bit like this
http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/education/c...n/gif/trap.gif).

I'm just about to mount the 2x2" to the wall and was wondering whether
horizontal with gravity or horizontal with the floor was best.

On the one hand, horizontal with gravity will look better below the rows of
shelves I've fixed to the wall above desk height, on the other I suspect
that horizontal with the floor will be more comfortable to sit in front of -
after all, my chair and I will be horizontal with the floor. Computer
keyboards will be placed on the desk and so I feel having one side of my
body lower than the other is not good posture. But horizontal with the floor
will look pretty awful over 2.5 metres, just below a shelf of equal length
mounted horizontal with gravity.

Short of pulling up the floorboards and relevelling the floor (carpet
fitters arrive on Tuesday), what would you do?

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

JustMe wrote:

Hi,

I'm building a desk by fixing a sheet of laminated MDF to a wall
along a 2x2" strip that runs the length of the back and one side of
the desk, with aluminium tube legs as support at the front.

The floor of the room (1st floor, timber boards on joists, 100 years
old, just hardboarded and shortly to be carpeted) has an incline of
up to 2cms/metre along the direction of the length of the desk.

I'm just about to mount the 2x2" to the wall and was wondering whether
horizontal with gravity or horizontal with the floor was best.

There's only type of horizontal! *Parallel* with a sloping floor is *not*
horizontal!

Make it horizontal (with a spirit level) or it will look 'orrible -
especially with shelves above it. If the sloping floor is a problem, make
yourself a wedge-shaped platform for your chair to rest on.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mrcheerful

"JustMe" wrote in message
[...]

Always put it up real horizontal, at least things won't roll off it.

mrcheerful

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick H

JustMe Wrote:
[...]

Do you really want a desk thats completetly pi**ed ?

No didn't think so, so fix it level of course.

--
Nick H
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jeff

"Set Square" wrote

Make it horizontal (with a spirit level) or it will look 'orrible -
especially with shelves above it. If the sloping floor is a problem, make
yourself a wedge-shaped platform for your chair to rest on.

FWIW I agree, rolling pens etc would irritate me no end

Regards Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

JustMe wrote:

I'm just about to mount the 2x2" to the wall and was wondering whether
horizontal with gravity or horizontal with the floor was best.

Square, plumb & level - only option.

2cm per metre - you won't notice that whilst sitting at the table.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

JustMe wrote:

Build the desk level (i.e. real - not parallel to the floor) and see
what it is like to sit at.

Short of pulling up the floorboards and relevelling the floor

If it does not feel right, then you know what to do! (failing that a
plinth for the chair).

(carpet
fitters arrive on Tuesday), what would you do?

Get busy on Monday ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

How to attach metal legs to wooden desk Lee Woodworking 3 July 25th 05 04:32 PM
MDF Desk top Robert Rushing Woodworking 8 September 9th 04 03:55 AM
RCA TV - Model: F32665 / Chasis:CTC203CX Guy Petty Electronics Repair 10 May 4th 04 02:22 AM
Desk Top suggestion Riley Woodworking 6 March 8th 04 10:30 PM
Where can I find info on desk design? Blue Woodworking 8 November 28th 03 04:54 PM