DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Update: The desk dilema / Wall fixiings (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/140149-update-desk-dilema-wall-fixiings.html)

Mike Dodd January 14th 06 08:23 AM

Update: The desk dilema / Wall fixiings

Just a quick update on the dilema the earlier post on wall fixings
(dry-lined wall / battens for built-in desks) - in case anyone is interesed.

In the end I decided against legs-all-around, simply because I really
wanted / preferred the idea of the (already cut) desktops being
wall-to-wall and gaining much of their rigidity from the walls (so,
rubber ducky decision point reversed!)

I then decided to use the simplest of the wall mounting methods (frame
fixing plugs - thanks Mike Clarke), with the intention that if that
wasn't sufficient, to progress to the next easiest (the dowel idea -
thanks - Set Square) and finally onto what at work we agreed is the best
solution, albeit the most disruptive - the embedded batten in wall, up
to the block - thanks David Lang).

Anyway, to cut a long story short, the frame fixing screws/plugs worked
a treat. I think for this application where 99% of the force is a sheer
force applied down onto the battens, and supplemented by a couple of
legs at the front then these do appear ideal.

Now, a couple of whinges -

Why does DIY take, say, 2 hours, but the shifting of 2 person's worth of
junk in and out of another room (our bedroom, in this case) take 4?
(hint: good idea using the bedroom - gave me incentive to move all the
stuff back afterwards, that or sleep on the couch).

Why can we buy frame fixings with a posidrive head significantly larger
than a "size 3" (whatever that is) - Wickes sell these, as do CPC (for
significantly less than the sheds); But at 17:00 on a Friday evening you
can't buy a suitable screwdriver? (the sheds only sell toy-screwdrivers,
it'd seem).

Why then, do I have to consign my 10mm x 115mm, £1.50 for ten packs of
frame fixings to the shed, and buy a pack of 16 for £10 from B&Q, just
so that I can buy a screwdriver to fit? (B&Q sell frame fixings with
smaller driver-sized heads).

Why do all the small independent tool stockist lock their doors at
17:00, when they advertise that they open 'til 17:30? (glares at
Speedwell Tools / Preston)

....and Finally, why do a job like this on the weekend when the missus is
off partying with her sisters - those frame fixings take some serious
screwdriving - knackered my wrists - now what'm I supposed to do with
the rest of the weekend?

(Sorry, but in case you hadn't noticed, I was getting mightily
****ed-off on the whole screwdriver debacle - something to do with
travelling a total of some 20 miles in rush-hour traffic over a period
of nearly 2 hrs to buy a bloody screwdriver, and failing)

Nigel Molesworth January 14th 06 10:59 AM

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:23:07 +0000, Mike Dodd wrote:

Finally, why do a job like this on the weekend when the missus is
off partying with her sisters - those frame fixings take some serious
screwdriving - knackered my wrists - now what'm I supposed to do with
the rest of the weekend?

Can't even have a wnak then. ;-)

What did you screw the fixings in to? Incidentally, I've found that
using PVA to stick the battens to the wall gives extra grip.

--
Nigel M

Dave Fawthrop January 14th 06 11:14 AM

wrote:

|...and Finally, why do a job like this on the weekend when the missus is
|off partying with her sisters - those frame fixings take some serious
|screwdriving - knackered my wrists - now what'm I supposed to do with
|the rest of the weekend?

Got the answer to knackered wrists.
If it is hard to screwdriver into anything, take the screw out, run a
larger pilot hole into the wood/wall plug/anything. Then put a little
penetrating oil on the screw. Cooking oil works as well. Soap off a 1/2
used bar also works, if you don't mind the screw rusting in *solid*.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net

Lobster January 14th 06 12:11 PM

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:23:07 +0000, Mike Dodd wrote:

Finally, why do a job like this on the weekend when the missus is
off partying with her sisters - those frame fixings take some serious
screwdriving - knackered my wrists - now what'm I supposed to do with
the rest of the weekend?

Can't even have a wnak then. ;-)

He probably doesn't even like Chinese food

Mike Dodd January 14th 06 12:22 PM

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:23:07 +0000, Mike Dodd wrote:

Finally, why do a job like this on the weekend when the missus is
off partying with her sisters - those frame fixings take some serious
screwdriving - knackered my wrists - now what'm I supposed to do with
the rest of the weekend?

Can't even have a wnak then. ;-)

What did you screw the fixings in to? Incidentally, I've found that
using PVA to stick the battens to the wall gives extra grip.

Into?, that crappy aerated concrete block, I guess (although the DeWalt
made quick work of it, I'm of the belief that a blunt spoon could have
as easily bored the holes.

(And yes, deliberate attempt at humour in my first post :)

PVA?, All that'd bond to would be the paper skim on the plasterboard?,
maybe it'd help but to be honest I don't think the battens are going
anywhere in a hurry.

Rob Morley January 14th 06 02:15 PM

Update: The desk dilema / Wall fixiings

In article
Mike Dodd wrote:
snip

Why can we buy frame fixings with a posidrive head significantly larger
than a "size 3" (whatever that is) - Wickes sell these, as do CPC (for
significantly less than the sheds); But at 17:00 on a Friday evening you
can't buy a suitable screwdriver? (the sheds only sell toy-screwdrivers,
it'd seem).

Did they not have the right size spiral ratchet or impact driver bit?
Those are what I tend to use for larger screws.

Mike Dodd January 15th 06 12:59 AM

Update: The desk dilema / Wall fixiings

Rob Morley wrote:
In article
Mike Dodd wrote:
snip

Why can we buy frame fixings with a posidrive head significantly larger
than a "size 3" (whatever that is) - Wickes sell these, as do CPC (for
significantly less than the sheds); But at 17:00 on a Friday evening you
can't buy a suitable screwdriver? (the sheds only sell toy-screwdrivers,
it'd seem).

Did they not have the right size spiral ratchet or impact driver bit?
Those are what I tend to use for larger screws.

Lol, no, no, and thrice no. Hence my annoyance.

.... and my reason for buying new frame-fixings from a place that sold a
suitable screwdriver for em.

I was contemplating (although remember I was racing against the clock)
trying halfrauds - maybe auto work needs bigger "man-sized" tools?

Rob Morley January 15th 06 01:48 AM

Update: The desk dilema / Wall fixiings

In article
Mike Dodd wrote:
snip
I was contemplating (although remember I was racing against the clock)
trying halfrauds - maybe auto work needs bigger "man-sized" tools?

Big pozidrives are often used for stuff like car door hinges.