Posted to uk.d-i-y
-

Default Dry Lining - Electrical pattress box

Hi there. Just a quick question about fitting a box into a dry lined wall,
so I can fit a TV socket faceplate to it.

How do these plastic backboxes actually secure. It looks like you just saw a
square hole in the dry lined wall and put the box into that, then mount the
faceplate. Surely there is more to it than that? Wouldn't they pull out
easily?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

-GB-Carpy GB wrote:

Hi there. Just a quick question about fitting a box into a dry lined
wall, so I can fit a TV socket faceplate to it.

How do these plastic backboxes actually secure. It looks like you
just saw a square hole in the dry lined wall and put the box into
that, then mount the faceplate. Surely there is more to it than that?
Wouldn't they pull out easily?

Thanks in advance.

They lock into the plastboard. The the bit each side - with the thread in
for attaching the faceplate - is spring-loaded, and has a little plastic
bracket at the bottom which goes *behind* the board, and is pulled against
the back of the board by the screw. The front of the box has a flange which
goes in front of the board - unlike metal boxes with un-flanged sides. So
when the side bits are snapped into position, and the screws inserted and
tightened, you get a good solid fixing.

If you follow this link:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...4827&ts=25245# and then
click on 'Enlarged image', you should see what I mean.

[I think that the # is part of the link - if it doesn't come up, add it
manually - or use http://tinyurl.com/db6mv ].
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
john

"-GB-Carpy" wrote in message
news
Hi there. Just a quick question about fitting a box into a dry lined wall,
so I can fit a TV socket faceplate to it.

How do these plastic backboxes actually secure. It looks like you just saw
a square hole in the dry lined wall and put the box into that, then mount
the faceplate. Surely there is more to it than that? Wouldn't they pull
out easily?

Thanks in advance.

The dry line boxes have tabs that are attached to the faceplate screw
fixings so that as you tighten the faceplate the box clamps to the
plasterboard. The tabs retract to allow it to be fitted into the hole. Are
you sure you have seen the right type?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumpy owd man

Is nobody going to mention fire rated boxes for use in fire rated walls?

Ok then, I will! If the wall is fire rated then you should use a fire
rated box c/w intumescent seals. [Building regs etc etc etc]