Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How close to a radiator can you put a bed?

We've put the radiator under the window in a small double room but have
now decided that the only way to put a double bed in the room will mean
that the head of the bed is right alongside the radiator. I guess I
could move it a foot but it would then not be centred under the window
and would look odd!
I suppose I could put a radiator cover over it?
Any thoughts?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
vince

not a good idea for following reason

bad headaches when you wake up if radiator is on while sleeping
Poor airculation thus poor energy efficiency

on the up side you do get a warm pillow!

can you move the radiator

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

We've put the radiator under the window in a small double room but have
now decided that the only way to put a double bed in the room will mean
that the head of the bed is right alongside the radiator.

No problem. Rememeber that the vast majority of a radiator's heat comes out
as convection straight up. If you don't block the airflow up and don't block
the cold air at the bottom, a radiator will work just fine even if blocked
in front.

If it is a child's room, consider fitting a low surface temp rad, or a
radiator cover (which is much the same thing, but less efficient).

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
.. .
We've put the radiator under the window in a small double room but have
now decided that the only way to put a double bed in the room will mean
that the head of the bed is right alongside the radiator.

No problem. Rememeber that the vast majority of a radiator's heat comes
out
as convection straight up. If you don't block the airflow up and don't
block
the cold air at the bottom, a radiator will work just fine even if blocked
in front.

If it is a child's room, consider fitting a low surface temp rad, or a
radiator cover (which is much the same thing, but less efficient).

There are good and bad radiator covers. A good one over an ordinary radiator
will not be less efficient than an LST radiator. The ones made by Norscreen
are excellent.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
al

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
.. .
We've put the radiator under the window in a small double room but have
now decided that the only way to put a double bed in the room will mean
that the head of the bed is right alongside the radiator.

No problem. Rememeber that the vast majority of a radiator's heat comes
out
as convection straight up. If you don't block the airflow up and don't
block
the cold air at the bottom, a radiator will work just fine even if blocked
in front.

If it is a child's room, consider fitting a low surface temp rad, or a
radiator cover (which is much the same thing, but less efficient).

As a child, my bed was side up against a long rad for about 10 years (window
above it) and it did nothing other than make me nice and warm on a winter's
morning! My head was above it mind you, but I still wouldn't think it would
make too much difference. Fit a stop in the carpet if need be to keep the
bed from pushing right back against it. A 2-5cm gap will make a fair bit of
difference to the amount of heat transferred into the bed material compared
to it being in contact. Kinda all depends on how hot you let your water get
though ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

vince wrote:

not a good idea for following reason

bad headaches when you wake up if radiator is on while sleeping

It never did me any harm.
(radiator next to bed - on long side)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Set Square, Neil Hamersly wrote:
radiator may damage the bed and/or its occupants?

will it damage?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ed-230272-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2019 20:44, Neil Hamersly wrote:
replying to Set Square, Neil Hamersly wrote:
radiator may damage the bed and/or its occupants?

will it damage?

You might burn your prick if you roll over after sex

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In this case its about 13 light years by the look of it.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Neil Hamersly" m wrote
in message ...
replying to Set Square, Neil Hamersly wrote:
radiator may damage the bed and/or its occupants?

will it damage?

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ed-230272-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 10 January 2006 13:36:49 UTC, vince wrote:
not a good idea for following reason

bad headaches when you wake up if radiator is on while sleeping

I agree.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2019 20:44, Neil Hamersly wrote:
replying to Set Square, Neil Hamersly wrote:
radiator may damage the bed and/or its occupants?

will it damage?

Not as catchy as "will it blend?"

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The bed occupants will become hot headed.... :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jay Jay is offline

replying to Ian Stirling, Jay wrote:
I just moved my bed to the side of room and the long side of the bed is kind
of close to the heater would i be fine???

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ed-230272-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2019 16:14, Jay wrote:
replying to Ian Stirling, Jay wrote:
I just moved my bed to the side of room and the long side of the bed
is kind
of close to the heater would i be fine???

6"

150mm

You can put the radiator under the mattress if you want

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2019 16:14, Jay wrote:
replying to Ian Stirling, Jay wrote:
I just moved my bed to the side of room and the long side of the bed
is kind
of close to the heater would i be fine???

6"

150mm

750 microfurlongs

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 26 October 2019 16:14:04 UTC+1, Jay wrote:
replying to Ian Stirling, Jay wrote:

I just moved my bed to the side of room and the long side of the bed is kind
of close to the heater would i be fine???

can you not figure out how to find out?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFF_system

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2019 16:14, Jay wrote:
replying to Ian Stirling, Jay wrote:
I just moved my bed to the side of room and the long side of the bed
is kind of close to the heater would i be fine???

6"

150mm

750 microfurlongs

Or just 5 attoparsecs.