Posted to uk.d-i-y
al

Default How close to a radiator can you put a bed?

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
.. .
We've put the radiator under the window in a small double room but have
now decided that the only way to put a double bed in the room will mean
that the head of the bed is right alongside the radiator.

No problem. Rememeber that the vast majority of a radiator's heat comes
out
as convection straight up. If you don't block the airflow up and don't
block
the cold air at the bottom, a radiator will work just fine even if blocked
in front.

If it is a child's room, consider fitting a low surface temp rad, or a
radiator cover (which is much the same thing, but less efficient).

As a child, my bed was side up against a long rad for about 10 years (window
above it) and it did nothing other than make me nice and warm on a winter's
morning! My head was above it mind you, but I still wouldn't think it would
make too much difference. Fit a stop in the carpet if need be to keep the
bed from pushing right back against it. A 2-5cm gap will make a fair bit of
difference to the amount of heat transferred into the bed material compared
to it being in contact. Kinda all depends on how hot you let your water get
though ...