Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB

Default Rubber thingies for toggle clamps..

Hmm... not my most successful purchase on eBay..

I bought a number of toggle clamps. Unfortunately
the photo in the description was not perfect and
I didn't notice that the bit that tightens down on
the workpiece or whatever has no protection.
They usually have a rubber pad. These ones are
just hex bolt heads. See...

http://www.gillandroy.com/diy/ToggleClamp/

Any idea where I could get something that would
fit over the hex head?

Or perhaps any other ideas?

Thanks,
Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

RzB wrote:

I bought a number of toggle clamps. Unfortunately
the photo in the description was not perfect and
I didn't notice that the bit that tightens down on
the workpiece or whatever has no protection.
They usually have a rubber pad. These ones are
just hex bolt heads. See...

http://www.gillandroy.com/diy/ToggleClamp/

Any idea where I could get something that would
fit over the hex head?

Or perhaps any other ideas?

How about a plastic wine cork; chop off a suitable length, heat up the
hex bolt head to a decent temp and push the cork onto the head. Either
the cork will be melted firmly onto the bolt head, or if not you'll need
to remove it and glue it on.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RzB wrote:
Hmm... not my most successful purchase on eBay..

I bought a number of toggle clamps. Unfortunately
the photo in the description was not perfect and
I didn't notice that the bit that tightens down on
the workpiece or whatever has no protection.
They usually have a rubber pad. These ones are
just hex bolt heads. See...

http://www.gillandroy.com/diy/ToggleClamp/

Any idea where I could get something that would
fit over the hex head?

Or perhaps any other ideas?

Thanks,
Roy

apply silicone rubber. position it against a bit of polythene so it
dries with a flat face

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB

---clip

apply silicone rubber. position it against a bit of polythene so it
dries with a flat face

Silicone rubber? You mean the stuff I put round the edge of the bath?

Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB

--- clip

How about a plastic wine cork; chop off a suitable length, heat up the hex
bolt head to a decent temp and push the cork onto the head. Either the
cork will be melted firmly onto the bolt head, or if not you'll need to
remove it and glue it on.

David

Hmm - I'll give that a try.. However it's going
against one of my new years resolutions :-)

Anyone got a recommendations for metal/rubber glue?

Many thanks,
Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB

--- clip

How about a plastic wine cork; chop off a suitable length, heat up the
hex bolt head to a decent temp and push the cork onto the head. Either
the cork will be melted firmly onto the bolt head, or if not you'll need
to remove it and glue it on.

David

Hmm - I'll give that a try.. However it's going
against one of my new years resolutions :-)

Anyone got a recommendations for metal/rubber glue?

Many thanks,
Roy

Just explained to my wife that I needed rubber cork,
so will strart New Years resolution next week.

Hmm - It's cork...

Ahh well - try another one in a couple of days...

Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

RzB wrote:
--- clip

How about a plastic wine cork; chop off a suitable length, heat up the
hex bolt head to a decent temp and push the cork onto the head. Either
the cork will be melted firmly onto the bolt head, or if not you'll need
to remove it and glue it on.

David

Hmm - I'll give that a try.. However it's going
against one of my new years resolutions :-)

Anyone got a recommendations for metal/rubber glue?

Many thanks,
Roy

Just explained to my wife that I needed rubber cork,
so will strart New Years resolution next week.

Hmm - It's cork...

Ahh well - try another one in a couple of days...

Roy

Those things always seem to fall off and get lost. I hot melted a square
of hardboard on to mine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB

--- clip

Those things always seem to fall off and get lost. I hot melted a square
of hardboard on to mine

Hot melted - you mean using a hot glue gun? Like this....

http://tinyurl.com/9jy5y

I thought glue guns were only good for temporary
fix type stuff. Don't your bits of hardboard fall off
when you apply a bit pressure/release etc?

Many thanks for your help,
Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister

RzB wrote:

I thought glue guns were only good for temporary
fix type stuff. Don't your bits of hardboard fall off
when you apply a bit pressure/release etc?

There are several different glues available for use in glue guns. I've
used a hot-melt wood glue, which worked quite well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 15:38:49 -0000, "RzB"
wrote:

Hmm... not my most successful purchase on eBay..

I bought a number of toggle clamps.

Given that they're very expensive new and many aren't supplied with
rubber pads, then you probably got a good deal anyway.

You can buy soft-ended machine screws from people who sell such clamps
(try Isaac Lord)

You can cast silicone pads onto screws or nuts and bolts. This is maybe
excessive for just this, but if you're ever making anything with
silicone rubbers it's often worth casting up a few extra little jobs
like clamp pads or handles at the same time. It's also a way to use up
the half-tubes of Sikkaflex polyurethane adhesives that you've opened
for another job, as they don't store afterwards.

Hot melt glue gun works quickly and simply. Use a couple of nuts and a
washer to spread the load internally, otherwise the pad tends to break.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB

wrote:

Hmm... not my most successful purchase on eBay..

I bought a number of toggle clamps.

Given that they're very expensive new and many aren't supplied with
rubber pads, then you probably got a good deal anyway.

yes - wasn't too bad...

http://tinyurl.com/74yad

You can buy soft-ended machine screws from people who sell such clamps
(try Isaac Lord)

Ok - Will take a look at that...

You can cast silicone pads onto screws or nuts and bolts. This is maybe
excessive for just this, but if you're ever making anything with
silicone rubbers it's often worth casting up a few extra little jobs
like clamp pads or handles at the same time. It's also a way to use up
the half-tubes of Sikkaflex polyurethane adhesives that you've opened
for another job, as they don't store afterwards.

What do you mean by silicone rubber? Is this the stuff
I put round the edge of my bath or something else?

Hot melt glue gun works quickly and simply. Use a couple of nuts and a
washer to spread the load internally, otherwise the pad tends to break.

Hmmm - not sure I follow... I have the head of a hex bolt. So what are you
suggesting? Something like this?... See TogMould01.jpg in...

http://www.gillandroy.com/diy/ToggleClamp/

Many thanks for your help,
Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 20:57:39 -0000, "RzB"
wrote:

What do you mean by silicone rubber? Is this the stuff
I put round the edge of my bath or something else?

Harder than that - I'm thinking of the sort of stuff that Smooth-on
sell. Either silicone or polyurethane, as used for casting suspension
bushes, low temperature metal casting moulds, etc. It's the sort of
stuff that's easy enough to do, but you're generally mixing up a
tenner's worth of goop in a batch and it's not convenient to use in
teaspoon quantities.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What do you mean by silicone rubber? Is this the stuff
I put round the edge of my bath or something else?

Harder than that - I'm thinking of the sort of stuff that Smooth-on
sell. Either silicone or polyurethane, as used for casting suspension
bushes, low temperature metal casting moulds, etc. It's the sort of
stuff that's easy enough to do, but you're generally mixing up a
tenner's worth of goop in a batch and it's not convenient to use in
teaspoon quantities.

I thought ordinary £1.50 glazing silicone might do it. Although a
little on the soft side, if you ensure it wraps round the bolt head it
should not fall off. That said, I've not done it this way, so might be
talking total danglies. Given the cost and ease I'd try it anyway.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

RzB wrote:
--- clip

Those things always seem to fall off and get lost. I hot melted a square
of hardboard on to mine

Hot melted - you mean using a hot glue gun? Like this....

http://tinyurl.com/9jy5y

I thought glue guns were only good for temporary
fix type stuff. Don't your bits of hardboard fall off
when you apply a bit pressure/release etc?

Many thanks for your help,
Roy

That's it.
I often just slip bits of hardboard under metal G clamps etc. as I'm
using them, but then I do have four hands :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Stanton

Any idea where I could get something that would
fit over the hex head?

Or perhaps any other ideas?

Thanks,
Roy

What about blind grommits, glued on ?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 17:13:44 +0000, Dave Stanton wrote:

What about blind grommits, glued on ?

Surely plasticene would be much too soft?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 17:13:44 +0000, Dave Stanton wrote:

What about blind grommits, glued on ?

Surely plasticene would be much too soft?

yes - and you would need poke the eyes out first... :-)

After Daves post I found...

www.grommets.co.uk

fascinating stuff ! I love the Who Are We page...
I really want one of those T shirts!!!

Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Stanton

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 18:02:41 +0000, Andy Dingley wrote:

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 17:13:44 +0000, Dave Stanton wrote:

What about blind grommits, glued on ?

Surely plasticene would be much too soft?

LOL

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 18:24:53 -0000, "RzB"
wrote:

yes - and you would need poke the eyes out first... :-)

www.grommets.co.uk

Couldn't I just find their webdesigner and poke _their_ eyes out
instead? That's a website worse than Urko's

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Stanton wrote:
On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 18:02:41 +0000, Andy Dingley wrote:

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 17:13:44 +0000, Dave Stanton wrote:

What about blind grommits, glued on ?

Surely plasticene would be much too soft?

LOL

Dave

Too many clamps - Not enough clamps John B Woodworking 0 January 3rd 06 05:32 AM
OT-DIY Rubber roofing Al A. Metalworking 18 August 25th 05 02:53 AM
Clamps Darrell Feltmate Woodturning 6 January 19th 05 08:32 AM
TV Remote Control rubber pad(UR50CT1071) used in remote control for Panasonic TV Model TX-29GF10X Steve Electronics Repair 4 November 1st 03 02:27 PM
Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps ON SALE TomL Woodworking 2 August 3rd 03 04:49 PM