Posted to uk.d-i-y
Broadback

Default Wasteful catalogues

Am I alone in being irritated by receiving catalogues from companies I
order from on line? Perhaps there are people who like to browse them,
but I wish they had an option to opt into receiving a catalogue. Maybe
then prices would be lower. (he hopes vain fully)
--
Please do not reply to this Email address
All Emails are deleted upon receipt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
the q

"Broadback" wrote in message
Am I alone in being irritated by receiving catalogues from companies I
order from on line? Perhaps there are people who like to browse them, but
I wish they had an option to opt into receiving a catalogue. Maybe then
prices would be lower. (he hopes vain fully)
--
Please do not reply to this Email address
All Emails are deleted upon receipt.

some of us can't get broadband!! It save me a lot of time by getting the
numbers from the catalogue rather than waiting for pages to download while
searching.
The Q

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ashnook

You can't beat browsing a catalogue! Especially on the Loo!

I spend hours looking at tool catalogues and Screwfix (sad I know)

--
brian
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Ashnook-Plants
"Broadback" wrote in message
Am I alone in being irritated by receiving catalogues from companies I
order from on line? Perhaps there are people who like to browse them, but
I wish they had an option to opt into receiving a catalogue. Maybe then
prices would be lower. (he hopes vain fully)
--
Please do not reply to this Email address
All Emails are deleted upon receipt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 18:44:57 UTC, Broadback wrote:

Am I alone in being irritated by receiving catalogues from companies I
order from on line? Perhaps there are people who like to browse them,
but I wish they had an option to opt into receiving a catalogue. Maybe
then prices would be lower. (he hopes vain fully)

You're obviously not a CPC customer....! The catalogue is essential...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:44:57 +0000 Broadback wrote :
Am I alone in being irritated by receiving catalogues from companies I
order from on line? Perhaps there are people who like to browse them,
but I wish they had an option to opt into receiving a catalogue.
Maybe then prices would be lower. (he hopes vain fully)

Assuming their marketing people are doing their homework you can assume
that the return from mailouts is greater than their cost or they wouldn't
be sent.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

wrote:

Am I alone in being irritated by receiving catalogues from companies I
order from on line? Perhaps there are people who like to browse them,
but I wish they had an option to opt into receiving a catalogue. Maybe
then prices would be lower. (he hopes vain fully)

Especially when every order has one enclosed as with Screwfix

Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Dawson

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 18:44:57 UTC, Broadback wrote:

Am I alone in being irritated by receiving catalogues from companies I
order from on line? Perhaps there are people who like to browse them,
but I wish they had an option to opt into receiving a catalogue. Maybe
then prices would be lower. (he hopes vain fully)

You're obviously not a CPC customer....! The catalogue is essential...

Thats so true about cpc

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Henry

"ashnook" wrote in message
You can't beat browsing a catalogue! Especially on the Loo!

I spend hours looking at tool catalogues and Screwfix (sad I know)

You should try eating more fibre ;-)

Henry

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 18:44:57 UTC, Broadback wrote:

Am I alone in being irritated by receiving catalogues from companies I
order from on line? Perhaps there are people who like to browse them,
but I wish they had an option to opt into receiving a catalogue. Maybe
then prices would be lower. (he hopes vain fully)

You're obviously not a CPC customer....! The catalogue is essential...

Regrettfull example of a hideous online catalog.
If you know the exact description of an item, you have a hope.
If you're trying to browse an actual category with more than maybe 30
items, then it's hopeless.

One thing I'd quite like to see.
Suppliers making (on bittorrent or other p2p networks) complete
PDFs of their catalogues available.

Yes, it's 300M, so?
Being able to flip pages is sometimes a nice way to browse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

wrote:

Am I alone in being irritated by receiving catalogues from companies I
order from on line? Perhaps there are people who like to browse them,
but I wish they had an option to opt into receiving a catalogue. Maybe
then prices would be lower. (he hopes vain fully)

Very few websites are half as good as printed catalogues.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Boliston

wrote:

Am I alone in being irritated by receiving catalogues from companies I
order from on line? Perhaps there are people who like to browse them,
but I wish they had an option to opt into receiving a catalogue. Maybe
then prices would be lower. (he hopes vain fully)

Very few websites are half as good as printed catalogues.

Hopefully this will change as more and more people convert to broadband.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

wrote:

Am I alone in being irritated by receiving catalogues from companies I
order from on line? Perhaps there are people who like to browse them,
but I wish they had an option to opt into receiving a catalogue. Maybe
then prices would be lower. (he hopes vain fully)

Very few websites are half as good as printed catalogues.

Hopefully this will change as more and more people convert to broadband.

It needs web designers who have more than the slightest idea of what they are
doing; so far there are no signs of such people being anything but very rare.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

wrote:

Am I alone in being irritated by receiving catalogues from companies I
order from on line? Perhaps there are people who like to browse them,
but I wish they had an option to opt into receiving a catalogue. Maybe
then prices would be lower. (he hopes vain fully)

Very few websites are half as good as printed catalogues.

Hopefully this will change as more and more people convert to broadband.

All a faster connection speed does is to allow prettier sites with fancier
effects. The DTI has an excellent set of guidelines for anyone who wants to
design a web site, including the facts that most people will give up if
pages take more than about 8 seconds to download or if they cannot reach the
required product in three mouse clicks or less. Few web designers seem to
have read them.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Ian Stirling wrote:

Regrettfull example of a hideous online catalog.
If you know the exact description of an item, you have a hope.
If you're trying to browse an actual category with more than maybe 30
items, then it's hopeless.

The B&Q site is a prime example of that. Search for 'sander' and you will
probably get garden swings or something.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Stirling wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 18:44:57 UTC, Broadback wrote:

Am I alone in being irritated by receiving catalogues from companies I
order from on line? Perhaps there are people who like to browse them,
but I wish they had an option to opt into receiving a catalogue. Maybe
then prices would be lower. (he hopes vain fully)

You're obviously not a CPC customer....! The catalogue is essential...

Regrettfull example of a hideous online catalog.
If you know the exact description of an item, you have a hope.
If you're trying to browse an actual category with more than maybe 30
items, then it's hopeless.

One thing I'd quite like to see.
Suppliers making (on bittorrent or other p2p networks) complete
PDFs of their catalogues available.

Rapid Electronics provide a .pdf of the catalogue as well as the real
thing and the web version. It's split into chapters so you do not have
to download the whole thing at once. This can also be a disadvantage
but if you have access to the full version of Acrobat you should be
abale to stitch it back together into one document.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

wrote:

Am I alone in being irritated by receiving catalogues from companies I
order from on line? Perhaps there are people who like to browse them,
but I wish they had an option to opt into receiving a catalogue. Maybe
then prices would be lower. (he hopes vain fully)

Very few websites are half as good as printed catalogues.

http://rswww.com/ is quite good.
One thing most of these catalogs don't get right - though CPC does (but
because of other facts it's useless) is the ability to sort or limit by
price.

For example, if I'm looking for a relay to switch 250VAC, at a few mA,
I might not care about anything else but the price.