Posted to uk.d-i-y
R.P.McMurphy

Default Gadget to sense if window is open...

and turn of the radiator is it is. Does such a thing exist? My numpty
staff are always complaining is too cold, but leave windows open left right
and centre!

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

R.P.McMurphy wrote:
and turn of the radiator is it is. Does such a thing exist? My
numpty staff are always complaining is too cold, but leave windows
open left right and centre!

Steve

A bell, a battery and a pair of magnetic window alarm contacts.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
R.P.McMurphy wrote:
and turn of the radiator is it is. Does such a thing exist? My
numpty staff are always complaining is too cold, but leave windows
open left right and centre!

Steve

A bell, a battery and a pair of magnetic window alarm contacts.

one's like these.
http://www.smarthome.com/7352.html
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
R.P.McMurphy wrote:
and turn of the radiator is it is. Does such a thing exist? My
numpty staff are always complaining is too cold, but leave windows
open left right and centre!

Steve

A bell, a battery and a pair of magnetic window alarm contacts.

one's like these.
http://www.smarthome.com/7352.html

Nah! that won't work the bell will keep ringing when the window is shut,
needs control box to work. :-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 17:23:45 UTC, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
R.P.McMurphy wrote:
and turn of the radiator is it is. Does such a thing exist? My
numpty staff are always complaining is too cold, but leave windows
open left right and centre!

Steve

A bell, a battery and a pair of magnetic window alarm contacts.

one's like these.
http://www.smarthome.com/7352.html

Nah! that won't work the bell will keep ringing when the window is shut,
needs control box to work. :-)

I hope you *are* joking...

However, the contacts will probably burn out quite quickly, especially
if the OP takes the advice literally and gets a real bell with a coil in
it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

wrote:

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
R.P.McMurphy wrote:
and turn of the radiator is it is. Does such a thing exist? My
numpty staff are always complaining is too cold, but leave windows
open left right and centre!

Steve

A bell, a battery and a pair of magnetic window alarm contacts.

one's like these.
http://www.smarthome.com/7352.html

Nah! that won't work the bell will keep ringing when the window is
shut, needs control box to work. :-)

I hope you *are* joking...

Nope, he needs a cheap alarm panel as many contacts he has windows, the
bell can be sited in the box depending on whether the box has its own built
in sounder?

However, the contacts will probably burn out quite quickly, especially
if the OP takes the advice literally and gets a real bell with a coil
in it!

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 17:39:12 UTC, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

one's like these.
http://www.smarthome.com/7352.html

Nah! that won't work the bell will keep ringing when the window is
shut, needs control box to work. :-)

I hope you *are* joking...

Nope, he needs a cheap alarm panel as many contacts he has windows, the
bell can be sited in the box depending on whether the box has its own built
in sounder?

But why will it keep ringing when the window is shut?

And he said 'window' not 'windows'...anyway, ever heard of wiring in
series?

I still think the contacts would burn out...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

wrote:

one's like these.
http://www.smarthome.com/7352.html

Nah! that won't work the bell will keep ringing when the window is
shut, needs control box to work. :-)

I hope you *are* joking...

Nope, he needs a cheap alarm panel as many contacts he has windows,
the bell can be sited in the box depending on whether the box has
its own built in sounder?

But why will it keep ringing when the window is shut?

And he said 'window' not 'windows'...anyway, ever heard of wiring in
series?

I still think the contacts would burn out...

They won't burn out as they are wired in a alarm panel, forget the bell I
realise now what he's asking...
when the windows are open the radiator switches off and vise versa.

So he'd need a 12volt relay attached to where the bell feed +&- would
normally go, relay with contacts n/o,n/c with a rating of 240volts (he
doesn't say what type of radiator here)? lets assume a electric room
radiater, he would need a 240v feed in alarm panel the negative to common
of the relay contacts(no,nc) take the radiator cable also into the panel
connect it's nuetral to (no) contact and then connect the live feed to the
live of the radiator.

So now when the window/s is open the radiator turns off. :-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C

R.P.McMurphy wrote:
and turn of the radiator is it is. Does such a thing exist? My numpty
staff are always complaining is too cold, but leave windows open left right
and centre!

Steve

Common method for staff to check whether the radiator is working is to
touch it. Arrange things electrically so that if any windows are open,
then the radiator is electrified to a few kV. That way, they will
naturally check if windows are open before checking the radiator for
heat. If they fail in that mission, the shock from the radiator will
keep them warm for a few minutes so.....

OK, Forget the windows, heating etc...

Just wire their metal chairs to a few kV of alternating current and let
muscle contraction/relaxtion provide the heating mechanism.

:-)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes

In uk.d-i-y, R.P.McMurphy wrote:
and turn of the radiator is it is. Does such a thing exist? My numpty
staff are always complaining is too cold, but leave windows open left right
and centre!

Lock the windows.

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 16:56:53 -0000, "R.P.McMurphy"
wrote:

and turn of the radiator is it is. Does such a thing exist? My numpty
staff are always complaining is too cold, but leave windows open left right
and centre!

Steve

Yes.

Go to this URL and select section 5, subsection 55

http://www.sauter-controls.com/pds/pds/indexe.html

then look at the AXT 111 series.

these types operate by pushing the plunger in the TRV body to close
the valve.

The AXT111 does this with a thermal capsule and can be used for on/off
operation with a thermostat, or a switch
You can get these from ControlCenter (Wolseley Group) - about
£30 IIRC.

They directly replace the TRV head.

Basically, then you need a room thermostat, a source of 24v and a
switch contact for the window.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Default S-Plan +++++ Was: Gadget to sense if window is open...

Andy Hall wrote:

Go to this URL and select section 5, subsection 55

http://www.sauter-controls.com/pds/pds/indexe.html

then look at the AXT 111 series.

these types operate by pushing the plunger in the TRV body to close
the valve.

Not the original question, but this post from Andy has reminded me of these
devices.

Does Andy - or anyone else - have any thoughts about using these devices to
create an S-Plan++++ heating system, with an individual zone for each room?
The optional auxilliary contacts could presumably be used to switch the
boiler in the same way as when conventional zone valves are used?

The idea of having a programmable stat in each room appeals - so that each
room can then be heated according to its usage. However, it then gets a bit
laborious when you want to use the Party or Holiday settings - and there are
umpteen stats to tweek. Maybe you can use an additional programmable stat,
with very high or very low setpoints as a master on/off feed for the others?
Or maybe a better solution would be to control the whole lot by a central
computer - with temperature sensors rather than stats in each room?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 22:13:40 -0000, "Set Square"

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

I'm in the process of doing it (long term project), but not using that
head, rather the AXM 117S. These have a positioner and are voltage
controlled with 0-10vdc. Thus one can open them to any point and
create analogue control of the valve.

This could be done with the AXT, but one would have to pulse the power
on and off or do some other form of control to achieve part opening.

I'm taking the approach of a centralised controller because that also
allows things like priorities to be arranged - e.g. I'd like rooms
A,B,C to be heated before D,E,F.

Temperature sensors are the little digital ibutton types and I've
played with several types. The Dallas/Maxim DS1920 is the archetypal
one.

Numerous issues come into play though. Obvious ones are heat
migration between rooms through surfaces and people leaving doors
open. Clearly one doesn't want something that forces people into
inconvenient things.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Smith

"R.P.McMurphy" wrote in message
and turn of the radiator is it is. Does such a thing exist? My numpty
staff are always complaining is too cold, but leave windows open left
right and centre!

Hire staff with sufficient braincells - a functioning human brain attached
to a human body could perform the task.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
R.P.McMurphy

"Bob Smith" bob@nospamplease wrote in message

"R.P.McMurphy" wrote in message
and turn of the radiator is it is. Does such a thing exist? My numpty
staff are always complaining is too cold, but leave windows open left
right and centre!

Hire staff with sufficient braincells - a functioning human brain attached
to a human body could perform the task.

I employ only women....hence my problem ;-)

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y
R.P.McMurphy

wrote:

[...]

looks good, but a lot of hassle...if only a wireless version existed.
sommat I could stick to the window frame and when opened, would tell the rad
valve to turn off. the rad valve could also be battery powered or mains
powered as is easier to tap off a cable beneath the floor boards.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 09:37:27 -0000, "R.P.McMurphy"
wrote:

[...]

This was the Rolls Royce solution, so that you would have something
against which to consider your level of pain.

Actually, Honeywell do a wireless system - Hometronic - which does all
that you want.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 09:32:44 -0000, "R.P.McMurphy"
wrote:

"Bob Smith" bob@nospamplease wrote in message

"R.P.McMurphy" wrote in message
and turn of the radiator is it is. Does such a thing exist? My numpty
staff are always complaining is too cold, but leave windows open left
right and centre!

Hire staff with sufficient braincells - a functioning human brain attached
to a human body could perform the task.

I employ only women....hence my problem ;-)

Steve

Ah, then I have the perfect solution. Tell them that if they pay
attention to the windows, you will leave the loo seat down. That
usually works with women, for most this is a crusade.

If that doesn't work, it's time for the clingfilm....

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
Ah, then I have the perfect solution. Tell them that if they pay
attention to the windows, you will leave the loo seat down. That
usually works with women, for most this is a crusade.

If that doesn't work, it's time for the clingfilm....

Wouldn't that make rather a mess over the loo?

--
*Fax is stronger than fiction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 12:27:58 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
Ah, then I have the perfect solution. Tell them that if they pay
attention to the windows, you will leave the loo seat down. That
usually works with women, for most this is a crusade.

If that doesn't work, it's time for the clingfilm....

Wouldn't that make rather a mess over the loo?

Exactly.....

--

..andy