Lobster

Default Fitting new first-floor window

I've got to fit a new upstairs window soon, which I'm just trying to get
my head round.

I was hoping to support the brickwork (cavity wall) above using
strongboy + acro prop; however, the centre of the window (where the
strongboy needs to go) is over a stairwell, so the acro prop would need
to stand on a stair, about 10 feet below. (see ASCII art below -
however the window is further to the right than shown, and the bulkhead
at a shallower angle, so the centre of the window will in fact be over
the angled bulkhead). That doesn't sound strong enough to me? Or on the
ground outside, which is even further down?

There are only 2-3 brick courses above the window before the wall plate
upon which the ceiling joists/roof rafters sit (perpendicular to the
wall). Would I be able to just remove the bricks above altogether -
would the wallplate take the load OK? New window will be 650mm from
corner of house, and about 900mm wide.

Thanks
David

| |bulkhead tba
| ________ |
| | new | |
| | window | |
|____________/
| raised floor over
| stairwell
| _________1st floor_______
| __|
| __|
| __|
| __|
| __|
| __|
|_| Ground floor

Lobster wrote:
[...]

is this a new window or a replacement? if a replacement the lintel
should support the wall above, if its a new window or there is no
lintle fitted one way of supporting the bricks is to cut away the
mortar from the course above and insert a length of steel angle iron
across the opening with a 6'' overlap at each side.

The suggestion to use angle iron was only intended for the 900mm
opening on an upstairs window, anything much larger and the brickwork
will have to be supported using needles,props etc. How old is your
house, as it was built with cavities it's suprising there are no
lintles on the outer leaf, are the windows showing signs of bowing?
personally i would get professional help installing a lintel for a 2.3m
opening.
i used 2" x 1/4" angle iron which did the trick , i also wedged it in
at both ends to prevent it falling out.