Default Window A/C installation query...

Can anybody offer tips on installing a window air conditioner made for
a double hung window into a slider/casement window? I bought the unit
intending to, either put it through the wall, or by installing second
window in the room of the double-hung type... But I can't get to
either of these scenarios for a few months as I have other projects and
priorities to tend to first. Yet, the weather is very hot right now
and I'm tempted to 'rig up' at least temporary installation of my A/C
using the window presently available. I'm not concerned about how it
looks or even about window security (there's always someone home, even
if it's just the pet Rottweiler...). But the said window being on the
second floor of my house, it is SAFETY (for both, people as well as my
A/C unit) that is my overriding concern here. Therefore I'm inviting
input from others here on this before finalizing in my mind what method
and/or materials, parts, etc. to follow/use in going about this.

Thanx in advance,
Ken

pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

****ing don't post this bull**** in alt.hvac !!!!

[...]

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anybody offer tips on installing a window air conditioner made for
a double hung window into a slider/casement window? I bought the unit
intending to, either put it through the wall, or by installing second
window in the room of the double-hung type...

Is the window wide enough for the unit to sit in normal position? If so, put
it in place and then block the top portion with a sheet of plywood or
hardboard.

Ken Moiarty

Yes, the window is wide enough for the unit to sit in normal position. And
yes, I already expected to block the top with plywood. What I am wondering
about is how to best go about _securing_ the unit so it cannot succumb to
the force of gravity (which is actually "torque" in this instance, since
this is a rather weighty piece of equipment to have protruding almost
completely to one side of it's pivot line, the window sill). How about
making and attaching a bracket of some kind to the bottom of the unit,
shaped such that it will fit into the 'groove' of the window frame, thus
providing locking support at the base of the unit? And if so, are there no
such items (or kits) on the market ready made for use in slider/casement
windows for just this purpose? And how might I achieve the same at the top
of the unit (where it will meet the plyboard)? [Note, I'm asking these
questions not because I'm not creative enough to develop my own answers to
them, but because I'm looking for the simplest to install and later
uninstall (whilst being safe); given that this is to be only a _temporary_
setup.] Thanks.

Ken

Edwin Pawlowski

"Ken Moiarty" wrote in message

How about making and attaching a bracket of some kind to the bottom of
the unit, shaped such that it will fit into the 'groove' of the window
frame, thus providing locking support at the base of the unit? And if so,
are there no such items (or kits) on the market ready made for use in
slider/casement windows for just this purpose? And how might I achieve
the same at the top of the unit (where it will meet the plyboard)?

I don't know of any kits to do that. You can probably put a piece of angle
iron or perhaps a 1 x 3 across the top as a stop held by the bracket on the
AC.

Tekkie®

Ken Moiarty posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

[...]

Hehehehe, just too much material here to work with...
--

Tekkie
Oscar_Lives

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Tie a rope around the mother****er and tie the other end to something heavy,
like your piano.

Ken Moiarty

In my newsgroup travels, I've often seen comments warning others, before
posting to alt.hvac, to expect a lot of "rude" responses. Presumably this
is because alt.hvac is really for trade professionals or 'intelligentsia'.

Tie a rope around the mother****er and tie the other end to something
heavy, like your piano.

'nough said... SNORT

Ken