Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

Default Fan assisted convector radiator

I have a Spur fan assisted convector radiator (a small radiator with
fins with a fan below blowing air through). This was originally fitted
in 1977 in a previous house, then taken off and moved here in 1980 and
has worked really well, freeing up valuable wall space in a bedroom.

It has recently stopped working, possibly due to build-up of dust around
the fan. I've cleaned a lot of this off but the fan only works
intermittently. When oiled at the suspension points and helped with a
spin, it sometimes works well but eventually stops, with a humming noise
from the motor (Mycalex). I haven't dismantled the fan etc so far, just
cleaned it through the gaps in the frame (it's very accessible with the
case taken off), so it is possible there's some foreign body slowing the
fan down.

Has anyone tried dismantling one of these? I'd have to disconnect the
electrics and try to get the fan off - though it's possible that this is
sealed in some way. Is it likely to be worth a try, or would I be better
off just fitting a new one?

Thanks for any advice.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , John
writes
[...]

Yeah, we recondition them from time to time

1) be very careful with the air rotor, they are very delicate and you
can easily throw them out of balance making them noisy

2) draw / photograph as you go along

3) let the bearings stand in a light oil for 24 hours before
reassembling

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

In article , raden
wrote:

In message , John
writes
[...]

Many thanks.

Is the dismantling straightforward, - no sealed units etc? Looks like I
have to unbolt the rotor frame from the motor housing to begin.

Thanks,

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , John
writes
In article , raden
wrote:

In message , John
writes
[...]

Lots of variations, but

you are liable to find phosphor bronze bearings in rubber housings - be
careful not to ping them out, extract carefully and soak

if the shaded pole motor has p-b bearings, soak and drain them. If they
are ball races, you would be best replacing them while you have it
stripped down

Remember which way the shaded pole goes on the laminations of the motor

Soak the air rotor in detergent (unless you have some TFR or Natural
Blue around) and remove the crap with a softish brush (you'll have to
gauge what I mean by that - hard enough to clean, without damage)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
[...]

old shaded pole motors often just need a clean and lube.

NT