Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fan assisted convector radiator

John wrote:
I have a Spur fan assisted convector radiator (a small radiator with
fins with a fan below blowing air through). This was originally fitted
in 1977 in a previous house, then taken off and moved here in 1980 and
has worked really well, freeing up valuable wall space in a bedroom.

It has recently stopped working, possibly due to build-up of dust around
the fan. I've cleaned a lot of this off but the fan only works
intermittently. When oiled at the suspension points and helped with a
spin, it sometimes works well but eventually stops, with a humming noise
from the motor (Mycalex). I haven't dismantled the fan etc so far, just
cleaned it through the gaps in the frame (it's very accessible with the
case taken off), so it is possible there's some foreign body slowing the
fan down.

Has anyone tried dismantling one of these? I'd have to disconnect the
electrics and try to get the fan off - though it's possible that this is
sealed in some way. Is it likely to be worth a try, or would I be better
off just fitting a new one?

Thanks for any advice.

John

old shaded pole motors often just need a clean and lube.

NT