Posted to uk.d-i-y
dp

Default Beezeblock wall with a few chiselled holes in it.

I have a bathroom which is slightly shorter than the length of the bath
(bath is 170cm room is 165cm) The previous owner has got a bath in
there by chisling out a hole in the breeze block wall which is about
70cm wide and 5cm high to get the bath in. If I feel under the bath I
can put my hand right through to the inside of the outer brick wall.

Further along the wall, underneath the window there is a toilet which
has a waste pipe which goes into the breeze block wall (without going
through the external brick wall) then runs along in the middle of a gap
in the breeze block wall for about 50cm before coming out of the wall
(back into my bathroom) for about 50cm before then going out through
both walls and into the waste pipe. So basically some of the breeze
block wall is resting on a waste pipe, albeit around the pipe it has
been cemented up. I know this sounds pointless but thats what the pipe
does!

The wall is fine otherwise and seems very solid its on the upstairs
floor, built in 1966 but its a situation which is a little concerning
and I have the following questions which if anyone has any advice on
I'd much appreciate.

1. I had a homebuyers report done on the house before buying it, do
you think that this is something which should have been picked up in
the report and would I have any recourse to action against them?

2. I want to replace the bath with a smaller 160cm bath so there will
be no need to go into the wall with the bath. If I want to reinforce
the slot which has been chiseled out of the wall what should I use and
is this a good idea?

3. Is it advisable to try and move the waste pipe or is it best just to
leave it as it is?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On 19 Dec 2005 05:19:41 -0800, dp wrote:

I have a bathroom which is slightly shorter than the length of the bath

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to see photos. Can you
upload some to a web site?

Speaking as someone who is 6' 3" - I wouldn't buy a house with a small
bath, so you may be reducing your re-sell potential.

In fact, I'd quite like to replace my bath with a deeper one (not
longer, for similar reasons), any suggestions?
--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Nigel Molesworth wrote:

Speaking as someone who is 6' 3" - I wouldn't buy a house with a small
bath

What a ridiculous reason for not buying a house.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Grunff wrote:
Nigel Molesworth wrote:

Speaking as someone who is 6' 3" - I wouldn't buy a house with a
small bath

What a ridiculous reason for not buying a house.

Thats what I thought, afterall only 3ft to 4ft of each of us sits in the
bath.

I think he needs a jacuzie.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dp wrote:
[...]

breeze block walls are especially good at self support, due to the
depth of the blocks. If youre left with a hole after replacing your
broken bath, you can fill it with breeze block, brick, stone, or cement
mortar.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Grunff wrote:
Nigel Molesworth wrote:

Speaking as someone who is 6' 3" - I wouldn't buy a house with a
small bath

What a ridiculous reason for not buying a house.

Perfectly reasonable to me.

Thats what I thought, afterall only 3ft to 4ft of each of us sits in the
bath.

The corner bath in a house we once lived in was too small to even sit
in properly. I will *never* buy another house with a corner bath.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 15:45:27 +0000, Grunff wrote:

I wouldn't buy a house with a small bath

What a ridiculous reason for not buying a house.

What I really meant was: "I wouldn't buy a house that didn't appear to
have room for a standard bath".

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

dp wrote:
If I feel under the
bath I can put my hand right through to the inside of the outer brick
wall.

I'd just brick that up with some more blocks.

So basically some of the
breeze block wall is resting on a waste pipe, albeit around the pipe
it has been cemented up. I know this sounds pointless but thats what
the pipe does!

I wouldn't think the pipe is holding up the wall, it's probably just been
cemented to make good.

3. Is it advisable to try and move the waste pipe or is it best just
to leave it as it is?

If it's not in the way leave it. If it is, move it.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dp

Thanks for the replys so far, very comforting.

I'm at work now but once I get home I'll upload a few photos.

I can see the big guys point but I didnt appreciate the situation when
I bought it in my naivety. However, luckily everyone is not 6 foot 3!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dp

Oh yeah and by the way Sir Benjamin, I was at your place on Friday for
my Christmas Party - Knowslely Hall!

Drilling holes in masonry wall for 15mm and 22mm pipe andrewpreece UK diy 9 December 14th 04 08:05 PM
HELP: vertical foundation crack in new construction Zhixin Tang Home Repair 46 October 26th 03 01:53 PM
Bowing house wall - tie rods? Grunff UK diy 113 October 19th 03 01:35 AM
Wall falling down? Alex UK diy 8 August 29th 03 10:54 AM
Concrete retaining wall issue revisited. Pat Keith Home Repair 14 August 20th 03 09:35 PM