Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Beezeblock wall with a few chiselled holes in it.

dp wrote:
I have a bathroom which is slightly shorter than the length of the bath
(bath is 170cm room is 165cm) The previous owner has got a bath in
there by chisling out a hole in the breeze block wall which is about
70cm wide and 5cm high to get the bath in. If I feel under the bath I
can put my hand right through to the inside of the outer brick wall.

Further along the wall, underneath the window there is a toilet which
has a waste pipe which goes into the breeze block wall (without going
through the external brick wall) then runs along in the middle of a gap
in the breeze block wall for about 50cm before coming out of the wall
(back into my bathroom) for about 50cm before then going out through
both walls and into the waste pipe. So basically some of the breeze
block wall is resting on a waste pipe, albeit around the pipe it has
been cemented up. I know this sounds pointless but thats what the pipe
does!

The wall is fine otherwise and seems very solid its on the upstairs
floor, built in 1966 but its a situation which is a little concerning
and I have the following questions which if anyone has any advice on
I'd much appreciate.

1. I had a homebuyers report done on the house before buying it, do
you think that this is something which should have been picked up in
the report and would I have any recourse to action against them?

2. I want to replace the bath with a smaller 160cm bath so there will
be no need to go into the wall with the bath. If I want to reinforce
the slot which has been chiseled out of the wall what should I use and
is this a good idea?

3. Is it advisable to try and move the waste pipe or is it best just to
leave it as it is?

breeze block walls are especially good at self support, due to the
depth of the blocks. If youre left with a hole after replacing your
broken bath, you can fill it with breeze block, brick, stone, or cement
mortar.

NT