Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Default Advice on concrete base

Jeff expressed precisely :
Hi all,

I am needing to install a concrete base appox 12 feet square. The base
will house a triple cat chalet (my wife fosters cats that can't be
found homes). I was intending to make the base 4" to 6" thick, based
on advice received.

3'x 4'(?) Far too thick. 3" of concrete poured over a good layer of
brick rubble should be perfectly adequate for such a light load.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Jeff expressed precisely :
Hi all,

I am needing to install a concrete base appox 12 feet square.
The base will house a triple cat chalet (my wife fosters cats
that can't be found homes). I was intending to make the base 4"
to 6" thick, based on advice received.

3'x 4'(?) Far too thick. 3" of concrete poured over a good layer
of brick rubble should be perfectly adequate for such a light
load.

Agreed - it's an awful lot of concrete you're going to be needing Jeff.

Lot's of useful info at http://www.pavingexpert.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jeff

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Jeff expressed precisely :
Hi all,

I am needing to install a concrete base appox 12 feet square. The base
will house a triple cat chalet (my wife fosters cats that can't be
found homes). I was intending to make the base 4" to 6" thick, based
on advice received.

3'x 4'(?) Far too thick. 3" of concrete poured over a good layer of
brick rubble should be perfectly adequate for such a light load.

Hmm maybe its me but I read it as 12' x 12'

Regards Jeff ( not the OP )

Posted to uk.d-i-y
in2minds

I am needing to install a concrete base appox 12 feet square. The
base
will house a triple cat chalet (my wife fosters cats that can't be
found homes). I was intending to make the base 4" to 6" thick, based
on advice received.

3'x 4'(?) Far too thick. 3" of concrete poured over a good layer of
brick rubble should be perfectly adequate for such a light load.

he said 12 feet square (12 x 12) not 12 square feet

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Jeff formulated the question :
Thanks Steve and everybody else. It was 12ft x 12ft BTW and the cat
chalet won't weigh much more than a decent size garden shed.

For that size I would stretch it to 4", depending upon the subsoil. If
you are thinking of a wooden structure, then that would be much better
raised off the concrete on something impermiable to allow air
circulation underneath - in which case you could get away with several
brick piers, instead of a concrete base.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Jeff wrote on 18/12/2005 :
Hmm maybe its me but I read it as 12' x 12'

I read it as 12 square feet :-)

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Jeff wrote:

Thanks Steve and everybody else. It was 12ft x 12ft BTW and the cat
chalet won't weigh much more than a decent size garden shed.

In that case, I wouldn't pour concrete at all - I'd simply prepare a firm
soil base, blind it with sand, and lay paving slabs on it. that will be
perfectly adequate to support your cat chalet.
--
Cheers,
Set Square