Andrew McKay

Default Hot Air Gun - recommendation?

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 12:56:19 +0100, Mike Abbott wrote:

Any gotcha's I should look out for?

Hot air guns are like any other tool - they can be dangerous! I've got
an older Black and Decker version, and you most certainly wouldn't
want to try drying your hair with it - it gets mighty hot!

You can scorch the wood if you leave it running on the same spot for
very long, just like a blowtorch would. And when you put it down,
remember that the nozzle is going to be well hot too - so easy to
brush your hand against it and get burnt.

Have you thought of a blowtorch instead? Just a thought - the hot air
gun is a bit expensive to run as I recall, and not so configurable in
terms of what comes out at the sharp end - with a blowtorch you can
change the size of the flame.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 14:52:06 +0100, Andrew McKay wrote:

Have you thought of a blowtorch instead?

They have all the same problem you highlight about hot air guns. Like
they get hot and remain hot...

Just a thought - the hot air gun is a bit expensive to run as I
recall, ...

Almost certainly but a decent gas blow torch is going to be quite a
bit more vicious than a hot air gun. ie the hot air device is easier
to use as it won't scorch the paint/wood quite so quickly.

... and not so configurable in terms of what comes out at the sharp
end - with a blowtorch you can change the size of the flame.

Get a hot air gun with variable temeprature control. Mine has such a
control and is very handy from stripping paint to heat shrinking.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Andrew McKay

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 16:04:29 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Get a hot air gun with variable temeprature control. Mine has such a
control and is very handy from stripping paint to heat shrinking.

Okay, I wasn't aware this was a possible option - as you can guess,
mine doesn't have that option.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk
Andrew McKay

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 16:28:30 +0100, Mike Abbott wrote:

I'm open to any solution:

Sanding disc on drill?

Not good for window sills and the like - will tend to re-invent the
shape of the item being sanded if you aren't careful.

Chemical stripper (although that Nitomors stuff scare me stiff. I go into
the DIY shed planning to buy some; pick up the tin, read the warnings - and
chicken out

Best option IMHO. Nitromors is usually pretty good at blistering the
paint away from the underlying surface. Paint it on, leave a short
time, whack it off with a scraper. Easy peasy.

However it hurts like hell if you get a drop on your skin, so wear
gloves and eye protection. It's like being stung with a nettle though,
it doesn't do lasting damage (well it might to your eyes, so eye
protection is highly recommended.

Just a thought, but why would you think that Nitromors was less
dangerous than burning the paint away? If you are hitting the
paintwork with a high temperature there's a very good chance that you
are releasing noxious fumes which you breathe in. Nitromors simply
needs a well ventilated area.

Blowtorch (I've only got the gas variety - too hot?)

Nope. It's only too hot if you play the flame on the paintwork for too
long. It doesn't take much experience to realise that you can keep the
flame moving along just at the right speed - you've got a scraper
going along too, taking the paint off as it starts to blister.

Why not give it a try and see? I was wary the first time I tried it
but it was remarkably easy!

Hot Air

Under discussion - my least favourite option. Even though I've got the
option if I want it.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk

Bob Eager

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 17:00:29 UTC, Andrew McKay
wrote:

However it hurts like hell if you get a drop on your skin, so wear
gloves and eye protection. It's like being stung with a nettle though,
it doesn't do lasting damage (well it might to your eyes, so eye
protection is highly recommended.

I first started using Nitromors 35 years ago....I'm sure it isn't as
strong as it was!

One useful thing to remember is to keep a bucket of water nearby...if
you feel a drop hit you, wash it THEN; it takes a while to 'burn in' and
start hurting!

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..

Chris Oates

"Mike Abbott" wrote in message

Looking through the archives, it seems that a hot air gun is the best

first
line of attack to stip paint off my external window sills (softwood).

I'd like to subsequently re-treat the sills with a wood finish, rather

than
gloss paint.

Any recommendations as to a hot air gun brand / model (ideally with a

narrow
nozzle to get into tighter corners, without cracking the glass).

Any gotcha's I should look out for?

Woolies/B&Q £7.99 with tools
treat it like you would a disposable razor

mike

Any recommendations as to a hot air gun brand / model ?

Woolies/B&Q £7.99 with tools
treat it like you would a disposable razor

Doesn't it burn your chin?

Gnube

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 10:29:00 +0100, "Mike Faithfull"
wrote:

"mike" wrote in message
. com...
Any recommendations as to a hot air gun brand / model ?

Woolies/B&Q £7.99 with tools
treat it like you would a disposable razor

Doesn't it burn your chin?

Desperate Dan used to use a blowlamp IIRC .....

I've owned a Deck & Blacker gun for about 10 years that does excellent
service as a barbecue lighter .....

Don't they just! ;O)

However The Sainsbury's "instant disposable barbecue" is immune to
even the heat guns attentions. You can get a good glow going but in
less than 2 minutes it's all but out again! Quite the worst barbecue
"kit" I have encountered so far, and I have tried quite a few now out
of curiosity. Still can't beat the real hibachi type thing, and proper
charcoal IMHO.

The Sainsbury's offering might well be improved by adding a few holes
in sensible places, but as delivered it is all but useless! I like to
evaluate them in their intended form rather than mod them as the
comparison results would be less meaningful if I did what I might
realise needed doing!

Current leader for fuel, convenience and value is the Tesco bag of
charcoal, in which you light the bag in a standard or original type
barby and let it get on with itself; I've found it produces
consistently good results.

Take Care,
Gnube