Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark Taylor

Default RS-260 Ideal Boiler Problem

Hi All I have a Ideal RS-260 Boiler, the problem is it keeps going out.
When working it heats both Central heating and Water perfectly. However
it seems that the pilot light goes out and hence no heating or water.
When it does go out there is a large click of a noise and the pilot
light has gone. It will restart without problems and work may be for a
day maybe for a week ? There does not seem to be any air in the rads
and the 2 3-way valves seem to operate as they should. I have noticed
that the casing of the boiler is very hot to touch and maybe it is
overheating ?

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:08:46 -0800, Mark Taylor wrote:

Hi All I have a Ideal RS-260 Boiler, the problem is it keeps going out.
When working it heats both Central heating and Water perfectly. However
it seems that the pilot light goes out and hence no heating or water.
When it does go out there is a large click of a noise and the pilot
light has gone. It will restart without problems and work may be for a
day maybe for a week ? There does not seem to be any air in the rads
and the 2 3-way valves seem to operate as they should. I have noticed
that the casing of the boiler is very hot to touch and maybe it is
overheating ?

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

This is an older boiler and it might not even have an over heat cut out.
If it does this will be either as a connector under the thermocouple
connection on the gas valve or as a pair of connection on the thermocouple
wire itself.

Since one of the possible causes for a very hot casing is a
(partially) blocked heat exchanger. I suggest you get someone in to look
at it as it may actually be in a less than safe enough condition to use.
Although it might just simply need a new thermocouple.

You have a very simple boiler with a cast iron heat exchanger. As Ed says
the problem may simply be the thermocouple or a dirty pilot injector/burner.
Is the pilot flame healthy (a clean blue flame about 25mm long which
envelops the tip of the thermocouple). Parts available from HRPC in your
locality. Try the simple "cures" first before geting into more obscure
possible causes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark Taylor

Hi thanks for input flame is ok when it is working ok. I have taken org
advice and having a engineer to come and service look at unit.
Thanks again Mark.

New condensing boiler installation - truth or lies Martin Evans UK diy 57 July 2nd 05 02:13 PM
Baxi Boiler problem - grating sound Mike Dodd UK diy 6 January 30th 05 07:16 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Need Help with Gas Boiler Vent Problem! Karen Home Repair 0 December 15th 03 03:05 AM
Old Baxi WM 531 RS boiler problem David Hearn UK diy 8 December 1st 03 06:58 PM