Mike Dodd

Default Baxi Boiler problem - grating sound

Hi,

Recently my boiler (Baxi Solo 2 model 40) started making something of a loud
grating noise when firing up, which continued as the boiler ran, and ran
down within a few seconds of the boiler switching off (actual boiler
operation is fine, BTW).

This volume of this noise has since reduced, and now sounds very much like a
moaning-grating noise, but is *fairly* quiet.

I've had the carcase off the boiler to take a peek inside, and the sound
seems*1 that the sound is coming from the fan unit (unit is described as
"fan assisted" - I guess that means a powered flue?).

One thing I noticed is that on top of what I'll call the "blower" - an
encased cylindrical unit that I assume holds the hot fan, there's the
exposed drive motor, and a small pressed steel fan blade, presumably a
secondary fan to keep the motor cool. If that is rotated by hand it actually
lightly fouls the "blower" assembly. This in itself is not enough to cause
the noise, but might be indicative of a bearing collasping, resulting in the
shaft being off-centre.

One further observation, it's getting hot around the blower unit - to the
extent where plastic shrouds around electrical terminals are disintegrating.

So, quick questions....

(1) Does this indeed sound like a fan/blower failure.

(2) If so, is this a DIY or professional job?

(3) If DIY, typical cost of a fan unit? (all I can get ATM are details of
places, not prices, and I need to diagnose the problem 1st)

(4) On a 7 year old boiler, is a replacement unit more practical?

(5) If I was to replace boiler WITH LIKE, installation / commissioning
charges likely from a Corgi?

Thanks for bearing me out

Regards

Mike.

*1: There's a lot going on in there, I'm 80% sure.

Set Square

Mike Dodd wrote:

[...]

I'm sure that Geoff at CET http://www.cetltd.com/misc.asp who frequently
posts here will do you a reconditioned fan for a reasonable price. It's
pretty easy to fit - well within the scope of any self-respecting DIY-er. I
certainly wouldn't replace the whole boiler just for a fan - they are
generally regarded as expendable items - fans, that is!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Mike Dodd

I'm sure that Geoff at CET http://www.cetltd.com/misc.asp who frequently
posts here will do you a reconditioned fan for a reasonable price. It's
pretty easy to fit - well within the scope of any self-respecting DIY-er.
certainly wouldn't replace the whole boiler just for a fan - they are
generally regarded as expendable items - fans, that is!
--
Cheers,
Set Square
______

Cheers, sounds good, looks like £45+gubbins, good price, will wait to see if
Geoff answers and might place an order tonight.

Many thanks

Mike

Mike Dodd

This volume of this noise has since reduced, and now sounds very much like
moaning-grating noise, but is *fairly* quiet.

Okay, since the reply to date suggested that the fan is a consumable, I've
had the unit apart and sprayed some PTFE lubricating oil on the motor, fan
and blower bearings; now, quiet as a lamb. Will wait to see if this is a
temporary fix before deciding to replace the fan unit.

Thanks, Set Square.

Mike

raden

In message , Mike
Dodd writes
Hi,

Recently my boiler (Baxi Solo 2 model 40) started making something of a loud
grating noise when firing up, which continued as the boiler ran, and ran
down within a few seconds of the boiler switching off (actual boiler
operation is fine, BTW).

One thing I noticed is that on top of what I'll call the "blower" -

Everyone else calls it a fan

One further observation, it's getting hot around the blower unit - to the
extent where plastic shrouds around electrical terminals are disintegrating.

So, quick questions....

(1) Does this indeed sound like a fan/blower failure.

The bearings in Solo 2s often fail

(2) If so, is this a DIY or professional job?

It depends on your level of competence

Look at my website - www.cetltd.com

--
geoff

raden

In message , Mike
Dodd writes
I'm sure that Geoff at CET http://www.cetltd.com/misc.asp who frequently
posts here will do you a reconditioned fan for a reasonable price. It's
pretty easy to fit - well within the scope of any self-respecting DIY-er.
certainly wouldn't replace the whole boiler just for a fan - they are
generally regarded as expendable items - fans, that is!
--
Cheers,
Set Square
______

Cheers, sounds good, looks like £45+gubbins, good price, will wait to see if
Geoff answers and might place an order tonight.

Tomorrow - 01923 229224

--
geoff
raden

In message , Mike
Dodd writes

This volume of this noise has since reduced, and now sounds very much like
moaning-grating noise, but is *fairly* quiet.

Okay, since the reply to date suggested that the fan is a consumable, I've
had the unit apart and sprayed some PTFE lubricating oil on the motor, fan
and blower bearings; now, quiet as a lamb. Will wait to see if this is a
temporary fix before deciding to replace the fan unit.

Once the bearing has lost it's grease, you're on borrowed time

--
geoff

Baxi Solo Problem [email protected] UK diy 13 January 7th 05 10:08 AM
Problem with Potterton Netaheat Electronic boiler -- clicks madly and refuses to start Ian Chapman UK diy 8 December 7th 04 12:10 AM
keston boiler problem Richard UK diy 5 August 12th 04 07:25 AM
boiler / central heating problem - main burner weak and cuts out SledgehammerSteve UK diy 8 March 16th 04 12:32 PM
Mitsubishi TV Sound Problem CW3X Electronics Repair 0 August 14th 03 07:13 PM