Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mike Dodd

Default Baxi Boiler problem - grating sound

Hi,

Recently my boiler (Baxi Solo 2 model 40) started making something of a loud
grating noise when firing up, which continued as the boiler ran, and ran
down within a few seconds of the boiler switching off (actual boiler
operation is fine, BTW).

This volume of this noise has since reduced, and now sounds very much like a
moaning-grating noise, but is *fairly* quiet.

I've had the carcase off the boiler to take a peek inside, and the sound
seems*1 that the sound is coming from the fan unit (unit is described as
"fan assisted" - I guess that means a powered flue?).

One thing I noticed is that on top of what I'll call the "blower" - an
encased cylindrical unit that I assume holds the hot fan, there's the
exposed drive motor, and a small pressed steel fan blade, presumably a
secondary fan to keep the motor cool. If that is rotated by hand it actually
lightly fouls the "blower" assembly. This in itself is not enough to cause
the noise, but might be indicative of a bearing collasping, resulting in the
shaft being off-centre.

One further observation, it's getting hot around the blower unit - to the
extent where plastic shrouds around electrical terminals are disintegrating.

So, quick questions....

(1) Does this indeed sound like a fan/blower failure.

(2) If so, is this a DIY or professional job?

(3) If DIY, typical cost of a fan unit? (all I can get ATM are details of
places, not prices, and I need to diagnose the problem 1st)

(4) On a 7 year old boiler, is a replacement unit more practical?

(5) If I was to replace boiler WITH LIKE, installation / commissioning
charges likely from a Corgi?

Thanks for bearing me out

Regards

Mike.

*1: There's a lot going on in there, I'm 80% sure.

Baxi Solo Problem [email protected] UK diy 13 January 7th 05 10:08 AM
Problem with Potterton Netaheat Electronic boiler -- clicks madly and refuses to start Ian Chapman UK diy 8 December 7th 04 12:10 AM
keston boiler problem Richard UK diy 5 August 12th 04 07:25 AM
boiler / central heating problem - main burner weak and cuts out SledgehammerSteve UK diy 8 March 16th 04 12:32 PM
Mitsubishi TV Sound Problem CW3X Electronics Repair 0 August 14th 03 07:13 PM