Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Default Santa is coming!

Hi All

I've obviously been a good boy this year because SWIMBO told me that Santa
has been asking what I would like for Xmas.

I'm torn between the Axminster Deluxe Pocket Hole Jig

http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/1/p...-Jig-35492.htm

and the Trend Routasketch

http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/routasketch/ with the T3 router
http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/focuson/fot3/t3.asp

I can see the former as being more practical, but the latter looks like more
fun - if it works well.............

Anyone have any experience of either?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 23:21:35 GMT, "david lang"
wrote:

Hi All

I've obviously been a good boy this year because SWIMBO told me that Santa
has been asking what I would like for Xmas.

Better get that chimney swept then..... :-)

I'm torn between the Axminster Deluxe Pocket Hole Jig

http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/1/p...-Jig-35492.htm

I've used the Kreg Professional one on which this seems to be based.

The technology behind it is quite good and you can get good results.
It looks as though the Axminster one has a solid cast base which is
important for alignment.

My only reservation is that it is more limited than a biscuit jointer
because the holes need to be in inconspicuous places or suitably
plugged.

On the other hand, for certain applications, there may be greater
strength.

and the Trend Routasketch

http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/routasketch/ with the T3 router
http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/focuson/fot3/t3.asp

I can see the former as being more practical, but the latter looks like more
fun - if it works well.............

I had a play with one of these recently.

It's odd, because the illustration of the jig on the web site shows, I
think, the T5 which is really too big for this. The T3 worked quite
well, but you definitely need a lightweight router for ease of
control. In a way, I think that a Dremel on a modified base would be
better still.

Some ingenuity on surfaces is needed - they need to be smooth.

Melamine or other laminate coated material is OK, as is MDF and ply if
lightly sanded. I tried a piece of chipboard and it was pretty
hopeless.

You do really need to concentrate though - not just on the drawing
aspect - but also because the user's focus is on the drawing and not
on the bit where the action is. Stray fingers........ One doesn't
really want to visit A&E at the best of times, but Christmas
afternoons with all the carving knife lacerations would not be joyful.

Yes it was good fun. The jig, I mean.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/1/p...ocket-Hole-Jig
-35492.htm

and the Trend Routasketch

http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/routasketch/ with the T3 router
http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/focuson/fot3/t3.asp

I can see the former as being more practical, but the latter looks
like more fun - if it works well.............

Anyone have any experience of either?

Dave

Fun? in what way? if your into doodling use a pen and paper.
I've had the misfortune to have a loan of the routasketch with a view to
purchase one and believe me it ain't worth the money, its hard to
manipulate the router around the workpiece whilst keeping an eye on where
the drawing peg might miraculousy want to veer right or left of its own
accord.

If you can do this then you can master the routasketch...
Hold your arms stretched out in front of you and rotate both your hands to
the right simultainously. :-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Andy Hall wrote:
My only reservation is that it is more limited than a biscuit jointer
because the holes need to be in inconspicuous places or suitably
plugged.

Indeed. I have a biscuit jointer, but the pocket hole system would help a
lot. My workshop is very small & clamping up larger items is sometimes
difficult. Pocket screws would avoid any need to clamp and larger stuff
could be assembled a bit at a time.

On the other hand, for certain applications, there may be greater
strength.

Another consideration, and instantly strong (see above).

and the Trend Routasketch

Some ingenuity on surfaces is needed - they need to be smooth.

I was thinking of softwood?

One doesn't
really want to visit A&E at the best of times, but Christmas
afternoons with all the carving knife lacerations would not be joyful.

I have in house support - my daughter is a paramedic with London Ambulance
:-) But I take your point, eyes in one place, fingers in another next to a
sharp thing..............

Yes it was good fun. The jig, I mean.

Hmmmm. Still wondering - thanks for the input.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:01:48 GMT, "david lang"
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
My only reservation is that it is more limited than a biscuit jointer
because the holes need to be in inconspicuous places or suitably
plugged.

Indeed. I have a biscuit jointer, but the pocket hole system would help a
lot. My workshop is very small & clamping up larger items is sometimes
difficult. Pocket screws would avoid any need to clamp and larger stuff
could be assembled a bit at a time.

That's true. Like all of these things, it's applicability.

On the other hand, for certain applications, there may be greater
strength.

Another consideration, and instantly strong (see above).

and the Trend Routasketch

Some ingenuity on surfaces is needed - they need to be smooth.

I was thinking of softwood?

Should be OK as long as it's sanded/planed smooth first.

One doesn't
really want to visit A&E at the best of times, but Christmas
afternoons with all the carving knife lacerations would not be joyful.

I have in house support - my daughter is a paramedic with London Ambulance
:-) But I take your point, eyes in one place, fingers in another next to a
sharp thing..............

I think if I had one of these on a permanent basis, I might make some
small guard arrangement. The issue then might be clearing the waste,
although unless you cut a deep design, it is not vast. It's probably
not realistic to have dust extraction because of the weight and
pulling effect of the hose.....

Yes it was good fun. The jig, I mean.

Hmmmm. Still wondering - thanks for the input.

If you fancy doing some freehand work, how about some carving? Flexcut
tools are nice and can be used by hand or with a powered carver.
Axminster have these as well.

--

..andy