Posted to uk.d-i-y
ian

Default cold water air-lock

Hi there,

I have a studio flat in London and I've removed the bath tub and intend to
replace it with a shower.
My problem now is I don't seem to have cold water flowing in the bath room.
Hot water is fine and cold water from the kitchen is working fine so it must
be an air lock. I've tried the usual way to get the airlock out (connected
kitchen cold to the bathroom cold) but without success. The building is 3
storeys high ( ground, 1st and 2nd floor) and my flat is on the 1st floor.
I'm assuming the bathroom cold water supply comes from the tank on the roof.
My question is how do I get the cold water to flow again?

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

ian wrote:
Hi there,

I have a studio flat in London and I've removed the bath tub and
intend to replace it with a shower.
My problem now is I don't seem to have cold water flowing in the bath
room. Hot water is fine and cold water from the kitchen is working
fine so it must be an air lock. I've tried the usual way to get the
airlock out (connected kitchen cold to the bathroom cold) but without
success. The building is 3 storeys high ( ground, 1st and 2nd floor)
and my flat is on the 1st floor. I'm assuming the bathroom cold water
supply comes from the tank on the roof. My question is how do I get
the cold water to flow again?

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Put a car foot pump over/in the open tap outlet then pump it a couple of
times and release the pump nozzle, you might have to attempt this a few
times.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

ian wrote:

My problem now is I don't seem to have cold water flowing in the bath room.
Hot water is fine and cold water from the kitchen is working fine so it must
be an air lock. I've tried the usual way to get the airlock out (connected

How did you turn off the water in the first place?

Not a gate valve by any chance?

(I only ask because I spent some time a few weeks back investigating the
case of the missing cold supply, only to find that I had not actaully
turned it back on! I thought I had - the valve "opened" but no water
came through. Later investigation found the handle had broken off from
the internal valve body somewhere and was simply turning without doing
anything!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Tankless water heaters Edward Grant Home Repair 11 September 13th 05 01:42 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 09:45 PM
NO MORE hot water problems [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 29th 04 07:15 PM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 04:01 AM
how do I ensure there is a cold water path to the boilers return BigWallop UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 02:59 PM