Posted to uk.d-i-y
soup

Default Sourcing a door

Eldest has put his foot through the hardboard on the living room door,
(yup bed with no supper, grounded etc)am in the process of repairing the
door(treating it like a hole in the wall, gluing a patch behind the
hole, filling the hole, then painting the whole lot ) however see this
repair as only temporary and am trying to source a replacement door
thing is this door is 837 mm wide(trimmed) ie. wider than the standard
supplied by B&Q, Homebase etc does any one know of a (preferably cheap)
supplier in the Edinburgh area that will supply an interior door that
can be sized to 837mm wide?
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mogga

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 10:42:22 GMT, "soup" wrote:

Eldest has put his foot through the hardboard on the living room door,
(yup bed with no supper, grounded etc)am in the process of repairing the

Grounded? I hope thats grounded with instructions to do the dishes for
a week and help fix the problem...

door(treating it like a hole in the wall, gluing a patch behind the
hole, filling the hole, then painting the whole lot ) however see this
repair as only temporary and am trying to source a replacement door
thing is this door is 837 mm wide(trimmed) ie. wider than the standard
supplied by B&Q, Homebase etc does any one know of a (preferably cheap)
supplier in the Edinburgh area that will supply an interior door that
can be sized to 837mm wide?

--
Promotional codes, discounts, money off
http://www.promotionalcode.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

soup wrote:
am trying to source a replacement door
thing is this door is 837 mm wide(trimmed) ie. wider than the standard
supplied by B&Q, Homebase etc does any one know of a (preferably cheap)
supplier in the Edinburgh area that will supply an interior door that
can be sized to 837mm wide?

Virtually anyone should be able to supply one, it's a standard
2'9" door. Even TP have them for about £25. Try them, or Jewsons,
or any BM.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

In article , Soup wrote:
Eldest has put his foot through the hardboard on the living room door,
(yup bed with no supper, grounded etc)am in the process of repairing
the door(treating it like a hole in the wall, gluing a patch behind the
hole, filling the hole, then painting the whole lot ) however see this
repair as only temporary and am trying to source a replacement door
thing is this door is 837 mm wide(trimmed) ie. wider than the standard
supplied by B&Q, Homebase etc does any one know of a (preferably cheap)
supplier in the Edinburgh area that will supply an interior door that
can be sized to 837mm wide?

1981x838 (or 6'6" x 2'9" in old money) is a standard size for doors. Go
to a proper timber merchants instead of the sheds.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
soup

Chris Bacon wrote:
Virtually anyone should be able to supply one, it's a standard

2'9" door. Even TP have them for about £25. Try them, or Jewsons,
or any BM.

Pardon my ignorance but who is TP? I would have thought everybody and
his brother would sell them too but the ones I saw on the net didn't,
Jewsons just say we have a range of doors no sizes or prices are given
(well that I can see). Have fired an e-mail off to Lawson's timber (in
Edinburgh) but they get there doors from a sawmill in Glasgow so I have
no idea if the free local delivery applies to me or not, £25 delivery
seems a "tad" excessive for a £50 door.
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words
may be used this is due to my limitations with the English language .

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

soup wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Virtually anyone should be able to supply one, it's a standard

2'9" door. Even TP have them for about £25. Try them, or Jewsons,
or any BM.

Pardon my ignorance but who is TP?

tRavI5 P3rk1n5 spit

I would have thought everybody and
his brother would sell them too but the ones I saw on the net didn't,
Jewsons just say we have a range of doors no sizes or prices are given
(well that I can see).

Phone them up and ask them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
soup

mogga wrote:
Eldest has put his foot through the hardboard on the living room
door, (yup bed with no supper, grounded etc)am in the process of
repairing the

Grounded? I hope thats grounded with instructions to do the dishes for
a week and help fix the problem...

He already "does" the dishes, when I went to live in digs (as a
student) could cook, clean, iron etc. will not have any son of mine
incapable of basic housekeeping tasks (even if sometimes it would be
quicker/easier to do these things myself).
Haven't fully decided how to punish him, he volunteers at the local RDA
so he isn't allowed to do that this weekend he is too young to work
(only just 13) so he can't pay for a new door and when I was fixing the
door last night was too angry at him to trust myself to let him pass me
things, so got his wee brother to do that (again with the would have
been quicker/easier to do it myself)
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words
may be used this is due to my limitations with the English language .

Posted to uk.d-i-y
soup

Chris Bacon wrote:
tRavI5 P3rk1n5 spit

Nope, still never heard of them. I am in the Edinburgh area maybe this
is some sort of local or restricted to England firm.
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words
may be used this is due to my limitations with the English language .

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
soup wrote:
Eldest has put his foot through the hardboard on the living room door,
(yup bed with no supper, grounded etc)am in the process of repairing the
door(treating it like a hole in the wall, gluing a patch behind the
hole, filling the hole, then painting the whole lot ) however see this
repair as only temporary and am trying to source a replacement door
thing is this door is 837 mm wide(trimmed) ie. wider than the standard
supplied by B&Q, Homebase etc does any one know of a (preferably cheap)
supplier in the Edinburgh area that will supply an interior door that
can be sized to 837mm wide?

If it is hardboard, quicker and cheaper to buy a sheet and simply replace
that?

--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

soup wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:

tRavI5 P3rk1n5 spit

Nope, still never heard of them. I am in the Edinburgh area maybe this
is some sort of local or restricted to England firm.

http://www.travisperkins.co.uk/conta...es/default.asp

Posted to uk.d-i-y
soup

Chris Bacon wrote:
http://www.travisperkins.co.uk/conta...es/default.asp

No wonder I had never heard of them, nearest outlet/branch is Peebles 17
miles away, no Edinburgh branch
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words
may be used this is due to my limitations with the English language .

Posted to uk.d-i-y
soup

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
If it is hardboard, quicker and cheaper to buy a sheet and simply
replace that?

Thought just patching then filling the hole would be a lot less effort
and as the door is to be replaced [1]anyway didnt want to expend to much
effort.
[1] Damage just means it is being replaced sooner rather than "one day".
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words
may be used this is due to my limitations with the English language .

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

In article , Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
If it is hardboard, quicker and cheaper to buy a sheet and simply
replace that?

No, he should buy a solid door so that the next time the offender kicks
it he will have a very painful toe g

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
soup

wrote:
If it is hardboard, quicker and cheaper to buy a sheet and simply
replace that?

No, he should buy a solid door so that the next time the offender
kicks it he will have a very painful toe g

My thoughts exactly, just as an aside how much would a steel door cost
( ) ) SWMBO wanted one with glass panels in, told her there was no
way untill the kids where at a sensible age (not likely with the
youngest he needs a lot of support ; developement delays ,"special"
school the works) or they had moved out.
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words
may be used this is due to my limitations with the English language .

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

soup wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:

http://www.travisperkins.co.uk/conta...es/default.asp

No wonder I had never heard of them, nearest outlet/branch is Peebles 17
miles away, no Edinburgh branch

http://tinyurl.com/9tfs4
http://www.jewson.co.uk/en/templates...h&pc=&x=15&y=5

They must be closer. Just ring 'em up!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
soup

Chris Bacon wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/9tfs4

http://www.jewson.co.uk/en/templates...h&pc=&x=15&y=5

They must be closer. Just ring 'em up!

Yup they are, tried on their web site it just says "browse our
collection of doors" no sizes, prices or styles would 'phone for
prices/sizes but we are not sure which style we want. May well go down
there tommorow and have a look about, see what they have, what sizes
they are in and what price they are, not looking to buy that cheap but
then again we don't want to spend silly money.
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words
may be used this is due to my limitations with the English language .

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

soup wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
If it is hardboard, quicker and cheaper to buy a sheet and simply
replace that?

Thought just patching then filling the hole would be a lot less effort
and as the door is to be replaced [1]anyway didnt want to expend to much
effort.

By the time you have patched the door you could have ooked up the DIY
shops in Yellow PAges, gone to a couple or three of them and selected a
reasonable facsimile, took it home and offered it up to the previous
hinge marks and cut the housings for the hinges.

In a little bit more time you'd have hung the door and put the
furniture on it. For which info see this site's previous.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
soup

Weatherlawyer wrote:
By the time you have patched the door you could have ooked up the DIY
shops in Yellow PAges, gone to a couple or three of them and selected
a reasonable facsimile, took it home and offered it up to the previous
hinge marks and cut the housings for the hinges.

No I couldn't have I have been indoors all day "babysitting" a sick
child.

--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words
may be used this is due to my limitations with the English language .

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
soup wrote:
and am trying to source a replacement door
thing is this door is 837 mm wide(trimmed) ie. wider than the standard
supplied by B&Q, Homebase etc

Did you look carefully in Homebase? IIRC, they do some sizes to order only.

--
*The average person falls asleep in seven minutes *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
soup

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Did you look carefully in Homebase? IIRC, they do some sizes to order
only.

Obviously not carefully enough as I didn't see a "made to measure" bit,
however we seem to have sussed getting one from Lawsons just waiting on
them replying to an e-mail now.
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words
may be used this is due to my limitations with the English language .

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Default Travis Perkins (Ping Chris Bacon) (was: Sourcing a door)

Chris Bacon wrote:
soup wrote:

Pardon my ignorance but who is TP?

tRavI5 P3rk1n5 spit

Chris, as - like me - you're obviously a member of the TP fan club, I
thought you'd appreciate this link which they kindly emailed me this
morning:

http://www.travisperkins.co.uk/christmascard2005/tp.htm

Ah, bless....

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
Lobster wrote:
Chris, as - like me - you're obviously a member of the TP fan club, I
thought you'd appreciate this link which they kindly emailed me this
morning:

http://www.travisperkins.co.uk/christmascard2005/tp.htm

Made from the left over bricks they normally sell at full price?

--
*Why do psychics have to ask you for your name? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:18:43 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article .com,
Lobster wrote:
Chris, as - like me - you're obviously a member of the TP fan club, I
thought you'd appreciate this link which they kindly emailed me this
morning:

http://www.travisperkins.co.uk/christmascard2005/tp.htm

Made from the left over bricks they normally sell at full price?

Funny this appeared today. Five minutes ago I found the bill for a
pallet of bricks they supplied that I need for the insurance company.

The first was London brick to match the house. I suppose out of 400,
about 150 were actually useable, the rest were hardcore.

Over the next week a pallet would arrive, the driver would wait while
we ripped it apart and then take it back.

Eventually we settled for a pallet of engineering bricks, just to get
rid of TP.

The wall looks terrible, but I blame that fiend Raden for leading me
astray with it anyway.

)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
EricP wrote:
Made from the left over bricks they normally sell at full price?

Funny this appeared today. Five minutes ago I found the bill for a
pallet of bricks they supplied that I need for the insurance company.

The first was London brick to match the house. I suppose out of 400,
about 150 were actually useable, the rest were hardcore.

Yup. I wanted just a few - so could collect. Think I found one decent one
out of about 10. The decent ones must have gone to other companies - not
that this was reflected in their prices.

--
*Women who seek to be equal to men lack ambition.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Lobster wrote:

Chris, as - like me - you're obviously a member of the TP fan club,

Yup, aren't they lovely.

I thought you'd appreciate this link which they kindly emailed me
this morning:

http://www.travisperkins.co.uk/christmascard2005/tp.htm

Humph. Presumably designed by a spotty herbert with no knowledge,
who charged a fortune. Did you know that that TP hire tools?