Posted to uk.d-i-y
Real Ale

Default Lubricating wooden drawers

Our pine furniture is good quality but the drawers don't have runners,
they run wood on wood and keep sticking.

What's the best lubricant to make them easier to move , or is it
easy to fit runners. ?

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 09:01:05 -0000, "Real Ale"
wrote:

Our pine furniture is good quality but the drawers don't have runners,
they run wood on wood and keep sticking.

What's the best lubricant to make them easier to move , or is it
easy to fit runners. ?

_Silicone_ furniture polish.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

Our pine furniture is good quality but the drawers don't have runners,
they run wood on wood and keep sticking.
What's the best lubricant to make them easier to move , or is it
easy to fit runners. ?

Try rubbing them with candle wax

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Real Ale wrote:
Our pine furniture is good quality but the drawers don't have runners,
they run wood on wood and keep sticking.

What's the best lubricant to make them easier to move , or is it
easy to fit runners. ?

Chris

Rub Candle wax along the mating surfaces.

Chris.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

wrote:

Our pine furniture is good quality but the drawers don't have runners,
they run wood on wood and keep sticking.

What's the best lubricant to make them easier to move , or is it
easy to fit runners. ?

Chris

If it's just friction, then a rub with a candle may do. Don't be
tempted into any oils or sprays.

If it's because the drawers are pulling out of square and jamming in
the carcase, then you used to be able to get wee nylon plastic gismos
that screwed to the centre back of the drawer and extended down to
engage with a piece of side-grooved wooden rail - just a bit of 2x1
easily grooved and inserted into most carcases under the drawers.
Held the drawer central as it moved in and out, and provided a stop as
well. A lot cheaper than commercial rail systems, especially on a
number of drawers. Haven't seen those wee fitments in many years,
though. I used a lot of them, but for the life of me can't remember
what they were actually called.

They looked something like this - you'll need to be in a fixed-pitch
font to see it:

+----------------------+
| |
| O O |
| |
| |
| +----------------+ |
| | | |
| +---+ +---+ |
| | | |
+------+ +------+

Perhaps someone here knows what they're actually called and if you can
still get them.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Real Ale explained on 06/12/2005 :
Our pine furniture is good quality but the drawers don't have runners,
they run wood on wood and keep sticking.

What's the best lubricant to make them easier to move , or is it
easy to fit runners. ?

Candle wax.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Real Ale wrote:
Our pine furniture is good quality but the drawers don't have runners,
they run wood on wood and keep sticking.

What's the best lubricant to make them easier to move , or is it
easy to fit runners. ?

Chris

wipe a smear of washing up liquid on with a finger, let it dry, which
it does very quickly. I think soap gives less friction than candlewax,
and is less prone to gunking up with dirt.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 20:41:36 GMT, "Harry Bloomfield"
wrote:

| Real Ale explained on 06/12/2005 :
| Our pine furniture is good quality but the drawers don't have runners,
| they run wood on wood and keep sticking.
|
| What's the best lubricant to make them easier to move , or is it
| easy to fit runners. ?
|

| Candle wax.

Agreed IME candle was works like a dream.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Sick of Premium SMS scams,
SMS marketing, Direct marketing phone calls, Silent phone calls?

Drawers 1...5, materials, thicknesses, joints, width (max) bent Woodworking 13 November 15th 05 04:36 AM
making a wooden slalom waterski Gregory McGuire Woodworking 2 September 19th 04 06:04 AM
how to clean/re-seal old wooden bowls? Chris Jung Woodworking 11 May 18th 04 04:01 AM
Making drawers David UK diy 3 September 12th 03 11:38 AM
Retrofitting wooden drawe Tomcat14 Home Repair 4 July 28th 03 05:32 PM