Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to cut 1cm off end of Ikea wooden blinds

I've bought a wooden blind from Ikea which is marginally too wide at
the bottom of the kitchen window as I forgot about the tiles we'd
fitted!

To trim it by approx 1cm on each side can I simply stick them together
using tape and cut using a hand saw?

Ikea have a gadget for trimming aluminium blinds but not wooden which
are about 1-2mm thick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RedOnRed

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've bought a wooden blind from Ikea which is marginally too wide at
the bottom of the kitchen window as I forgot about the tiles we'd
fitted!

To trim it by approx 1cm on each side can I simply stick them together
using tape and cut using a hand saw?

Ikea have a gadget for trimming aluminium blinds but not wooden which
are about 1-2mm thick.

I did the same thing but used a jig saw which my brother in law had used
before me on the same thing. The results in both cases was perfect. Not too
sure about a hand saw though, unless you can saw very straight and neat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

RedOnRed wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I've bought a wooden blind from Ikea which is marginally too wide at
the bottom of the kitchen window as I forgot about the tiles we'd
fitted!

To trim it by approx 1cm on each side can I simply stick them
together using tape and cut using a hand saw?

Ikea have a gadget for trimming aluminium blinds but not wooden which
are about 1-2mm thick.

I did the same thing but used a jig saw which my brother in law had
used before me on the same thing. The results in both cases was
perfect. Not too sure about a hand saw though, unless you can saw
very straight and neat.

Huh! you could file a 1cm off.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RedOnRed

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. ..
RedOnRed wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I've bought a wooden blind from Ikea which is marginally too wide at
the bottom of the kitchen window as I forgot about the tiles we'd
fitted!

To trim it by approx 1cm on each side can I simply stick them
together using tape and cut using a hand saw?

Ikea have a gadget for trimming aluminium blinds but not wooden which
are about 1-2mm thick.

I did the same thing but used a jig saw which my brother in law had
used before me on the same thing. The results in both cases was
perfect. Not too sure about a hand saw though, unless you can saw
very straight and neat.

Huh! you could file a 1cm off.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

But why when you can more easily saw it off?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

RedOnRed wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. ..
RedOnRed wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I've bought a wooden blind from Ikea which is marginally too wide
at the bottom of the kitchen window as I forgot about the tiles
we'd fitted!

To trim it by approx 1cm on each side can I simply stick them
together using tape and cut using a hand saw?

Ikea have a gadget for trimming aluminium blinds but not wooden
which are about 1-2mm thick.

I did the same thing but used a jig saw which my brother in law had
used before me on the same thing. The results in both cases was
perfect. Not too sure about a hand saw though, unless you can saw
very straight and neat.

Huh! you could file a 1cm off.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

But why when you can more easily saw it off?

When I done my engineering training I had to file a block of 2" steel to
1&6/8" square :-( ...Icm would be a doddle

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Parcel tape tight and firmly held against bench hook or something
similar and cut with fine tenon or dovetail saw

cheers

Jacob

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I've bought a wooden blind from Ikea which is marginally too wide at
the bottom of the kitchen window as I forgot about the tiles we'd
fitted!

To trim it by approx 1cm on each side can I simply stick them together
using tape and cut using a hand saw?

Ikea have a gadget for trimming aluminium blinds but not wooden which
are about 1-2mm thick.
Tape all together very tightly, clamp to bench and saw off with a circ saw (with a fine toothed blade), jigsaw or carefully with a hand saw

Or

Hammer and chisel!!

;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger

The message
from "Mark" contains these words:

And just for you Mark if 1&6/8 was down on the work sheet then who am
I to go to the powers that be and say...this should be 1&3/4"

Sorry I was being pedantic
When I was at school you would never _ever_ dare write 1-6/8
1.750 perhaps.. :-)

It probably has no application in this instance but I have a (very)
vague memory of a convention for unstated limits in which the nature of
the units gave some guidance to the tolerances required in which case I
would expect dimensioning in eighths would demand a closer tolerance
than dimensioning in quarters.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 14:39:47 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote:

RedOnRed wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. ..
RedOnRed wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Ha!, When I were a lad, in filing school, they gave me steel bar and some files and told me to make
a straight edge. Accurate to within 1 thou ( that's 1 thou everywhere, checked on a table with
engineering blue).

Gosh, those were the days.... took me ages.

Rick... (The other Rick)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"John" wrote in message

PS. I did the same 'project' as part of my engineering apprenticeship in
the late 70's

That's a project?
I had to file a gauge to 3thou and then make a "c" clamp from a square or
metal 1/2" thick including turning and threading the screw for my O level.
I didn't realise engineering was being dumbed down like the rest of the
GCSEs these days. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

wrote:

RedOnRed wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. ..
RedOnRed wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It took me weeks to make my telescope mirror.
Accurate to 1/10th wavelength of light.
Thous are what wood butchers work to. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message

PS. I did the same 'project' as part of my engineering apprenticeship in
the late 70's

That's a project?
I had to file a gauge to 3thou and then make a "c" clamp from a square or
metal 1/2" thick including turning and threading the screw for my O level.
I didn't realise engineering was being dumbed down like the rest of the
GCSEs these days. ;-)

That's why I put project in inverted commas! I didn't see the point of it
at the time but I was only 16. It sure taught me how to use different
grades of hand files correctly though. We went on to make a full set of
hand tools, including the toolbox to put them all in. I still have it and
get it out every so often to have a look at them. My son (6 years old)
cannot believe I made them especially the vice.

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RedOnRed

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.. .
RedOnRed wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. ..
RedOnRed wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

But we're not talking about filing 1cm off a single block of wood, we're
talking about taking off 1cm from a chunky compounded blind. So by the time
it's bound together it's going to be more like 40cm x 1cm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

wrote:

When I done my engineering training I had to file a block of 2" steel to
1&6/8" square :-( ...Icm would be a doddle

It's a horrid job, though. Especially if one is not fond of sports. I
found that my schoolmates who excelled on the football field were also
pretty good at filing and fitting. They seemed to have a natural
talent for judging distances. Me, I was hopeless, both at filing and
at football. Perhaps it was the ones like me who needed to find an
alternative way who were behind many inventions. Needs must, as they
say!

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 20:40:59 -0000, "RedOnRed" wrote:

But we're not talking about filing 1cm off a single block of wood, we're
talking about taking off 1cm from a chunky compounded blind. So by the time
it's bound together it's going to be more like 40cm x 1cm.

One option is to just trim the few at the bottom where the tiles are.

MJ
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Rick wrote:

The finest cut that I personally have come across is one of those small "pull saws" takes a bit of
getting used to, but boy does it cut fine...

That was exactly how I cut down a wooden slatted blind... taped it
together, held it on a workbench and cut the end off with a small shark
pullsaw.

--
Cheers,

John.