Posted to uk.d-i-y
Douglas de Lacey

Default "Easy spin" starter doesn't:-(

I've an ancient Landmaster 100 rotavator with a 3hp B&S 4-stroke motor
with "Easy spin starting" (so the label claims). It has given great
service until, after a gap of about a month in using it, suddenly the
recoil starter doesn't recoil. The problem is that the clutch (is it a
sprague clutch?) has become very stiff: I can *just* turn it manually,
and as I do I can hear what seem to be two balls/pawls/whatever falling
into place.

There is no obvious way of getting inside. Can anyone help?

Douglas de Lacey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jupiter

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 08:52:26 +0000, Douglas de Lacey
wrote:

I've an ancient Landmaster 100 rotavator with a 3hp B&S 4-stroke motor
with "Easy spin starting" (so the label claims). It has given great
service until, after a gap of about a month in using it, suddenly the
recoil starter doesn't recoil. The problem is that the clutch (is it a
sprague clutch?) has become very stiff: I can *just* turn it manually,
and as I do I can hear what seem to be two balls/pawls/whatever falling
into place.

There is no obvious way of getting inside. Can anyone help?

Douglas de Lacey.

Take the sheet metal engine cover off. The starter mechanism is
attached to its underside - probably with bent over tags. The cover
will just lift off the crankshaft. Careful if you dismantle it,
there's a big spring in there. Yours may be broken, or detached, with
those symptoms.

If you do a google search on replacing a starter cord you'll find
instructions for dismantling and reassembly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Jupiter writes:

Take the sheet metal engine cover off. The starter mechanism is
attached to its underside - probably with bent over tags. The cover
will just lift off the crankshaft. Careful if you dismantle it,
there's a big spring in there.

That's probably well understating the danger from that spring...

Yours may be broken, or detached, with those symptoms.

If you do a google search on replacing a starter cord you'll find
instructions for dismantling and reassembly.

The problem is that the clutch (is it a
sprague clutch?) has become very stiff: I can *just* turn it manually,
and as I do I can hear what seem to be two balls/pawls/whatever falling
into place.

My recollection of the clutch is a ball race with about 6 balls
in it and a cog with one more or fewer (can't recall) teeth, any
one of which will catch on a ball in one direction, but push the
balls out of the way in the other direction (so it's a bit like
a ratchet and pawel with (balls x cog teeth) ratchet teeth.
However, the balls are all thrown out of the way of the cog by
centrifugal force when the motor spins.

I should add it's probably 25 years ago since I took one to
pieces (and probably 10 years ago since I last used it), so I
might not remember the details properly. Damn nice things they
were though, much better than pull-cord starters.

ISTR there was an oil hole in the top of the "Easy spin" starter.
A blast of WD40 in the hole to blow out dirt and then a re-oil
might clear the problem, without disassembly.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Douglas de Lacey

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Jupiter writes:

Take the sheet metal engine cover off. The starter mechanism is
attached to its underside - probably with bent over tags. The cover
will just lift off the crankshaft. Careful if you dismantle it,
there's a big spring in there.

That's probably well understating the danger from that spring...

Yes, but I'm happy with clock springs. I thought my message made it
clear I'd excluded that as the problem.

My recollection of the clutch is a ball race with about 6 balls
in it and a cog with one more or fewer (can't recall) teeth, any
one of which will catch on a ball in one direction, but push the
balls out of the way in the other direction (so it's a bit like
a ratchet and pawel with (balls x cog teeth) ratchet teeth.
However, the balls are all thrown out of the way of the cog by
centrifugal force when the motor spins.

I should add it's probably 25 years ago since I took one to
pieces (and probably 10 years ago since I last used it), so I
might not remember the details properly. Damn nice things they
were though, much better than pull-cord starters.

ISTR there was an oil hole in the top of the "Easy spin" starter.
A blast of WD40 in the hole to blow out dirt and then a re-oil
might clear the problem, without disassembly.

Thanks, Andrew. The hole was stuffed with wadding; and WD40 in the
evacuated hole didn't seem to go anywhere -- nor did a narrow probe. So
I removed the rubber seal between shaft and body, and copious quantities
of WD40 there seem to have done the trick. Still can't see how to remove
or dismantle the clutch though. *And* I had to tease out the wadding
which I've now misplaced:-(
Any suggestions for a replacement?

Douglas de Lacey
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Douglas de Lacey writes:

Thanks, Andrew. The hole was stuffed with wadding; and WD40 in the
evacuated hole didn't seem to go anywhere -- nor did a narrow probe. So
I removed the rubber seal between shaft and body, and copious quantities
of WD40 there seem to have done the trick. Still can't see how to remove

Make sure you oil it too. The WD40 will have washed
out all the oil (with the dirt, we hope), but left
it with no lubrication and ready to start going rusty.

or dismantle the clutch though. *And* I had to tease out the wadding

I can't remember how to take it apart, sorry.

which I've now misplaced:-(
Any suggestions for a replacement?

Are you sure it wasn't a lump of dried grass?
I don't think mine had any such. It's a long time
ago, but I just recall a small hole with the word
"oil" embossed in the metalwork with an arrow
pointing at it.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Under cabinet light starter Art Home Repair 4 May 16th 05 12:28 AM
Starter row cement siding nospamgoingjag Home Repair 2 April 1st 05 04:50 PM
Fluorescent tube starter Mark UK diy 11 November 29th 04 02:17 PM
do i need to pull the starter? RB Home Repair 1 September 8th 04 03:02 PM
Fluorescent light tube starter Mark UK diy 6 November 14th 03 11:09 PM