Art

Default Under cabinet light starter

I have a small undercabinet flourscent fixture with what appears to be a
removable starter. In fact, with a magnifying glass you can clearly see the
arrow and the word "Remove" right on the starter. I've replaced plenty of
starters in my day but this one doesn't budge. On both sides of the starter
there is a spring clip stuck out. I've tried pushing them in with
screwdrivers and needle nose pliars but the starter still doesn't budge.
Any suggestion besides hitting the fixture with a hammer?

Tony Hwang

Art wrote:

I have a small undercabinet flourscent fixture with what appears to be a
removable starter. In fact, with a magnifying glass you can clearly see the
arrow and the word "Remove" right on the starter. I've replaced plenty of
starters in my day but this one doesn't budge. On both sides of the starter
there is a spring clip stuck out. I've tried pushing them in with
screwdrivers and needle nose pliars but the starter still doesn't budge.
Any suggestion besides hitting the fixture with a hammer?

Hi,
Tried twisting one way or the other?
Tony
Edwin Pawlowski

"Art" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have a small undercabinet flourscent fixture with what appears to be a
removable starter. In fact, with a magnifying glass you can clearly see
the arrow and the word "Remove" right on the starter. I've replaced plenty
of starters in my day but this one doesn't budge. On both sides of the
starter there is a spring clip stuck out. I've tried pushing them in with
screwdrivers and needle nose pliars but the starter still doesn't budge.
Any suggestion besides hitting the fixture with a hammer?

If it is the same as the fixture under my cabinet, it is cheaper to replace
the entire fixture that the bulb and probably the starter. go ahead and hit
it with a hammer. Does it have the plastic shield over the bulb? If so, it
is probably getting yellow and a new one will be brighter. IIRC. I paid
less than $8

Art

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Art wrote:

I have a small undercabinet flourscent fixture with what appears to be a
removable starter. In fact, with a magnifying glass you can clearly see
the arrow and the word "Remove" right on the starter. I've replaced
plenty of starters in my day but this one doesn't budge. On both sides
of the starter there is a spring clip stuck out. I've tried pushing them
in with screwdrivers and needle nose pliars but the starter still doesn't
budge. Any suggestion besides hitting the fixture with a hammer?

Hi,
Tried twisting one way or the other?
Tony

Yep..... every which way. Tried pushing in and pulling out while twisting.
Tried pushing in these spring steel tabs which are on both sides of the
starter. No luck.

Art

I finally got the starter out. Turns out the contacts (feet) were bent a
bit. I bought a replacement and discovered that the holder it went into did
not hold the starter securely. By the way the spring steel I saw were just
part of the assembly for the retainer that holds the starter. In any case,
my guess is the electrician who wired my house discovered that the fixture
was defective and instead of returning it for a replacement he bent the
starter feet so it would fit in fairly securely. I did the same with the
new starter but next time I probably will buy a new fixture for under the
cabinet.

ink.net...