Posted to uk.d-i-y
john

Default Mysterious Part

"john" wrote in message news:...

"Set Square" wrote in message

Hi i am looking for a 90 degree flush pipe that screws into the bottom
of the cystern and into the pan.

Available in Chrome, brass and Gold as well as plastic: Example

http://www.shopping-made-easy.co.uk/...109328470.html

I can only assume some confusion at your merchants - or you really do have
something foreign.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
john

"john" wrote in message

"john" wrote in message news:...

"Set Square" wrote in message

Hi i am looking for a 90 degree flush pipe that screws into the bottom
of the cystern and into the pan.

Available in Chrome, brass and Gold as well as plastic: Example

http://www.shopping-made-easy.co.uk/...109328470.html

I can only assume some confusion at your merchants - or you really do
have something foreign.

Plastic - £1.79 in Focus DIY.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve

forgive my extremly crude diagram but this is what the part looks like:

http://www.stephena.co.uk/toilet.jpg

two screws into the cistern and two into the pan. Originally the pan
had rubber bungs that this part screwed into however these have
perished... my house is only ten years old it cant be that hard to get
one surely?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Douglas de Lacey

Steve wrote:
forgive my extremly crude diagram

'Salright. We're very broadminded he-)

but this is what the part looks like:

http://www.stephena.co.uk/toilet.jpg

Which gives a 404. Hint: use copy-and-paste from the window in your own
web browser. Then you know it's right ...

Douglas de Lacey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

[Douglas de Lacey] :
http://www.stephena.co.uk/toilet.jpg

Which gives a 404. Hint: use copy-and-paste from the window in your
own web browser. Then you know it's right ...

From the root page

"Welcome. . .

... to Stephena.co.uk the personal homepage of Stephen Adshead,
website designer"

Hmm ...

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve

can i ask what the 'hmm' is for Tony Bryer SDA UK 'software to build
on' ?????

Try again i foolishly uploaded the file in Caps which doesnt work on a
unix server the link is:

http://www.stephena.co.uk/toilet.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Douglas de Lacey

Steve wrote:
can i ask what the 'hmm' is for Tony Bryer SDA UK 'software to build
on' ?????

I think he was pondering whether your profession explained your
inability to post a uri correctly (or, in the event, to understand
character-sets and the web: do you do this to your customers?).

Try again i foolishly uploaded the file in Caps which doesnt work on a
unix server the link is:

http://www.stephena.co.uk/toilet.jpg

I'd like to help but I don't understand. Do you want to know what the
part is ("mysterious") or where it's gone ("missing")? Or where to get a
replacement (in which case we'd need details of the unit). I note your
original message began with "" but if there was an earlier comment it
has gone from my server: perhaps I'm missing something?

Douglas de Lacey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Douglas de Lacey
writes
Steve wrote:
forgive my extremly crude diagram

'Salright. We're very broadminded he-)

but this is what the part looks like:
http://www.stephena.co.uk/toilet.jpg

Which gives a 404. Hint: use copy-and-paste from the window in your own
web browser. Then you know it's right ...

It worked here ...

Except that I thought the toilet looked more like the arse end of a dog

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve

if you read the post's you will see i already appologised for the crude
diagram. You know i thought these forums were for people to give advice
and help all i have had is sarcasm and abuse!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve

i have just had a look at Tony Bryer's website pot calling the kettle
black what did you design that with Microsoft Word you numpty!?!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

[Steve] :
i have just had a look at Tony Bryer's website pot calling the kettle
black what did you design that with Microsoft Word you numpty!?!

The pages are small, have the information, it works in all browsers, is
Google friendly and we pull in a five figure sum in web sales each
year. In short it does exactly what it's meant to do.

Unlike a certain boiler manufacturer's site which looks beautiful,
probably cost a fortune, and is quite useless for finding what you
want. If you think I prefer substance to style, you're quite right.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Douglas de Lacey

Steve wrote:
if you read the post's you will see i already appologised for the crude
diagram. You know i thought these forums were for people to give advice
and help all i have had is sarcasm and abuse!

i have just had a look at Tony Bryer's website pot calling the kettle
black what did you design that with Microsoft Word you numpty!?!

That's certainly the way to make Tony and me rush to solve your problem!
I don't *think* Tony claims to be a pro at website design; and at least
the sda home page validates. Yours (despite your cheek in using the W3
icon) provokes 12 errors.

Perhaps if you respond to my request for elucidation we might be in a
better position to help. But I suggest you do it politely.

Douglas de Lacey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve

It is clear by your poor wit and off the subject comments that you and
Tony are unable to solve the problem! I came on here for advice from
people in the know about DIY and recieved a torrent of abuse about my
profession.

Tony you are right to put substance ahead of style but not replace
style completley i do not doubt that you pull in a reasonable revenue
from your website but you could pull in a hell of a lot more if you
made your website look more proffessional.

Do not tell me my job and i wont tell you yours i have been designing
websites for over a decade and make a very reasonable living out of it
and have had no complaints from any of my clients.

Thanks for pointing out the W3 errors i am sure you are aware that if
you update your content regularly small coding errors can occur and i
will be sure to rectify them soon.

-------

Back to the subject in hand does anyone have any suggestions as to
where i might try to locate this part or indeed if there is any
alternative such as a flexable hose???

I have tried the following UK plumbing centres:
plumbworld.co.uk
The Plummer centre - Local Store
Jacksons Shipperley - Local Store
Screwfix.co.uk
B & Q
Wickes
Focus

I have also spoke to a local plumber who said i would struggle to
obtain the part... this is why i have entered this group!

Sensible and on the subject answers only please!

Thank You

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

[Steve] :
Do not tell me my job and i wont tell you yours i have been designing
websites for over a decade and make a very reasonable living out of
it and have had no complaints from any of my clients.

The tragic thing about these over-designed functionally-challenged
websites is that the clients are probably delighted with them. If they
thought about the sort of things that users wanted to do - for example
finding a copy of a boiler's installation instructions - or asked
whether their site showed up when they typed something appropriate into
Google they might realise that they'd wasted their money.

When I type 'Glow-worm' into Google it does return their site as the
first hit. But why does the text say "Glow-worm Homeowner. Merchant.
Installer. Specifier" and not something informative and carrying a
marketing message like "Glow-worm: high efficiency central heating
boilers". Because the web designer is more interested in making it look
nice. It used to look even nicer than it is now and impossibly slow so
perhaps they began to get the message.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve

I agree their site lacks functionality it is not obvious where to click
to advance into there website but if i looking for a product listed on
your site and on theres i would probably research it on your site
'information rich' and purchase it from the professional looking
website.

I have had this argument time and time again and obviously everyone has
there own opinion. Im not telling you too change your website if your
happy, im merely stating that in order to turn your webpages browsers
in buyers you have to appear to be a respectable, reputable retailer
and your website looks amaturish to me. You are doing alright with it
so fair play but you must question whether you could do better by
improiving its appearance. Ask your customers what they think as end
users i assure you the majority prefer a clean professional looking
site.

Back to the subject.... Toilet part...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ascro

Douglas de Lacey wrote:
Steve wrote:
if you read the post's you will see i already appologised for the crude
diagram. You know i thought these forums were for people to give advice
and help all i have had is sarcasm and abuse!

i have just had a look at Tony Bryer's website pot calling the kettle
black what did you design that with Microsoft Word you numpty!?!

That's certainly the way to make Tony and me rush to solve your problem!
I don't *think* Tony claims to be a pro at website design; and at least
the sda home page validates. Yours (despite your cheek in using the W3
icon) provokes 12 errors.

And if you validate his client's sites they all seem to have errors
too!

I think I may just drop each one an e-mail

P.S. Don't even try to validate them with the css validator at
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ascro

Ascro wrote:
Douglas de Lacey wrote:
Steve wrote:
if you read the post's you will see i already appologised for the crude
diagram. You know i thought these forums were for people to give advice
and help all i have had is sarcasm and abuse!

i have just had a look at Tony Bryer's website pot calling the kettle
black what did you design that with Microsoft Word you numpty!?!

That's certainly the way to make Tony and me rush to solve your problem!
I don't *think* Tony claims to be a pro at website design; and at least
the sda home page validates. Yours (despite your cheek in using the W3
icon) provokes 12 errors.

And if you validate his client's sites they all seem to have errors
too!

I think I may just drop each one an e-mail

P.S. Don't even try to validate them with the css validator at
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Of course you know what's best... he has a Google ad-sense box which,
because of the way it works, will only ever advertise his competitors.
Classic!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message . com, Steve
writes
if you read the post's you will see i already appologised for the crude
diagram. You know i thought these forums were for people to give advice
and help all i have had is sarcasm and abuse!

Is that in answer to anyone in particular ?

Your inability to include any context makes it impossible to know who
you're referring to

please learn to post properly

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message .com,
Steve writes
[...]

I think you've just excluded most of UK.d-i-y there

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve

Well thanks for all your help you have all been so helpful!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article .com,
says...
Well thanks for all your help you have all been so helpful!!!

You just don't want to learn, do you?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sorry dad!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Douglas de Lacey

Steve wrote:
It is clear by your poor wit and off the subject comments that you and

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ should be hyphenated
Tony are unable to solve the problem!

With the info given, yes.

I came on here for advice from
people in the know about DIY and recieved a torrent of abuse about my
profession.

Tony you are right to put substance ahead of style but not replace
style completley i do not doubt that you pull in a reasonable revenue

^ I
from your website but you could pull in a hell of a lot more if you
made your website look more proffessional.

Do not tell me my job

Has been mine too ...

and i wont tell you yours i have been designing

^ I ^^n't ^ punctuation?
websites for over a decade and make a very reasonable living out of it
and have had no complaints from any of my clients.

You mean they don't even know enough to check that the code you give
them is conformant? Oh dear.

Thanks for pointing out the W3 errors i am sure you are aware that if
you update your content regularly small coding errors can occur

No, that's not been my experience. If you learn to write xhtml properly
you can learn to do it without errors. (The same goes for English...)

alternative such as a flexable hose???

^^^^^^^^
I hope you use a spellchecker on your clients' sites!

Sorry we can't help with your loo, but if you take the advice given in
this thread you'll be a much better web designer. That can't be bad.

Sensible and on the subject answers only please!

Sorry, that's not how the internet works.

Douglas de Lacey.

Help finding old router part Jon Woodworking 14 March 18th 06 11:40 PM
First Aluminum Anodizing attempts (long w/ pictures) James Lerch Metalworking 7 June 3rd 05 05:30 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Part P - new cable colours CRB UK diy 50 November 30th 04 11:13 PM
rec.woodworking ANTI-FAQ Part 1 of 10 - General Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 2 April 3rd 04 12:15 PM