Jeff

Default LV Lighting in Bathroom

Hi,

Just a quick question regarding LV lighting. I want to put in five LV lights
in the bathroom (I've found the correct IP rated lights) and I need to buy
the transformer(s) to go with them.

All the lights are 50W affairs and my choice is either individual torodial
or electronic transformers or a 5 output torodial transformer. Anyone any
advice which route to go?

TIA

Jeff

Frisket

"Jeff" wrote in message
Hi,

Just a quick question regarding LV lighting. I want to put in five LV

lights
in the bathroom (I've found the correct IP rated lights) and I need to buy
the transformer(s) to go with them.

All the lights are 50W affairs and my choice is either individual torodial
or electronic transformers or a 5 output torodial transformer. Anyone any
advice which route to go?

TIA

Jeff

Go for 5 individual electronics - the prices are good and if one fails
you'll still have 4 to work by!
HTH, Richard.

BigWallop

"Jeff" wrote in message
Hi,

Just a quick question regarding LV lighting. I want to put in five LV

lights
in the bathroom (I've found the correct IP rated lights) and I need to buy
the transformer(s) to go with them.

All the lights are 50W affairs and my choice is either individual torodial
or electronic transformers or a 5 output torodial transformer. Anyone any
advice which route to go?

TIA

Jeff

Either go for a three / two split or individuals for your transformers.
Individuals will help disperse heat around the void in which they are
fitted, but if you wish a centrally located position for ease of maintenance
then go for a three / two split using two electronic PSU's. I advise a
three / two split arrangement In case you have any problems with one circuit
and this will still allow you to have some light to get by until it's fixed.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

David W.E. Roberts

"Jeff" wrote in message
Hi,

Just a quick question regarding LV lighting. I want to put in five LV

lights
in the bathroom (I've found the correct IP rated lights) and I need to buy
the transformer(s) to go with them.

All the lights are 50W affairs and my choice is either individual torodial
or electronic transformers or a 5 output torodial transformer. Anyone any
advice which route to go?

This may not be what you want :-)

Homebase do LV lighting suitable for Zone 1 which does not require a
seperate transformer.
Just wire each downlight in like a normal light.
The light is a bit like the glass 'bullseye' you used to get in old windows.
Gives a good light anyway :-)

Just mentioned this as it may save you some wiring hassles :-)

HTH
Dave R

Jeff

Either go for a three / two split or individuals for your transformers.
Individuals will help disperse heat around the void in which they are
fitted, but if you wish a centrally located position for ease of

maintenance
then go for a three / two split using two electronic PSU's. I advise a
three / two split arrangement In case you have any problems with one

circuit
and this will still allow you to have some light to get by until it's

fixed.

So, are you saying buy one 0-105w electronic transformer and use a junction
box to split the output to two LV lights and likewise use a 0-150w
transformer with a similar arrangement supplying the remaining 3 lights? If
this is what you suggesting should you use 5A junction boxes or can you use
porclean connectors?

The reason I'm asking is I'm not upto speed on best practise for wiring this
sort of light.

Thanks for you help.

Jeff

BigWallop

"Jeff" wrote in message

[...]

If you use 1 X 150w output and 1 X 100w output transformers you won't need
junction boxes. Taking the two mains supply leads from the same switch will
also stop the need for any junction boxes.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Jeff" writes:
Hi,

Just a quick question regarding LV lighting. I want to put in five LV lights
in the bathroom (I've found the correct IP rated lights) and I need to buy
the transformer(s) to go with them.

All the lights are 50W affairs and my choice is either individual torodial
or electronic transformers or a 5 output torodial transformer. Anyone any
advice which route to go?

Doesn't 250W of lighting in a bathroom ring any alarm bells?
You might want to step back and question how sensible this is.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Jeff

Hi Andrew,

Maybe I should have made my self a little bit clearer the lights can accept
upto 50w, I'm not actually sure which bulb I'll put in yet, its possible 20w
36 deg or 35w 38 deg will give suffcient light. But, the orginal question
really was about how many transformers to use as I'll size the transformer
to suit.

Cheers,

Jeff

Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Jeff" writes:
Hi,

Just a quick question regarding LV lighting. I want to put in five LV

lights
in the bathroom (I've found the correct IP rated lights) and I need to

buy
the transformer(s) to go with them.

All the lights are 50W affairs and my choice is either individual

torodial
or electronic transformers or a 5 output torodial transformer. Anyone

any
advice which route to go?

Doesn't 250W of lighting in a bathroom ring any alarm bells?
You might want to step back and question how sensible this is.

--
Andrew Gabriel

The Natural Philosopher

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
"Jeff" writes:

Hi,

Just a quick question regarding LV lighting. I want to put in five LV lights
in the bathroom (I've found the correct IP rated lights) and I need to buy
the transformer(s) to go with them.

All the lights are 50W affairs and my choice is either individual torodial
or electronic transformers or a 5 output torodial transformer. Anyone any
advice which route to go?

Doesn't 250W of lighting in a bathroom ring any alarm bells?
You might want to step back and question how sensible this is.

Its about right for a big bathroom using LV spots.

I am using 2, 3 and 4 x 50W in three toilets/ bathrooms, and they are
not overlit.