Posted to sci.engr.surveying,ie.general,uk.d-i-y
Chris Nellist

Default A curious Irish length unit (2.2m), or???

I am house-hunting in Ireland, and an agent has sent me floor-plans of a
house that looks interesting.

But all the measurements are wrong, in that "1m" seems to represent
a distance of about 2.2 metres.

I asked the agent and he said this was for "reference" only. Which is,
of course, not a proper answer.

My first thought (cynic that I am) was that there'd been some sort of
planning scam. But this doesn't seem to be so, because the overall floor
area appears to be stated accurately. (Obviously being in discrepancy with
the stated linear measures).

Is some weird unit being used???

If so, I don't know what it might be. A 1/14 of a second of latitude
doesn't sound right. Or maybe measurements are altered by a factor of sqrt
5 so that rooms appear to have 1/5 of their actual area? But that doesn't
sound right either! I mean, why on earth do it?

So what's the reason for the curious measurements?

I can't quite suss this one out!

Cheers,

Chris
Posted to sci.engr.surveying,ie.general,uk.d-i-y
Des Higgins

"Chris Nellist" wrote in
message ...
I am house-hunting in Ireland, and an agent has sent me floor-plans of a
house that looks interesting.

But all the measurements are wrong, in that "1m" seems to represent
a distance of about 2.2 metres.

I asked the agent and he said this was for "reference" only. Which is,
of course, not a proper answer.

My first thought (cynic that I am) was that there'd been some sort of
planning scam. But this doesn't seem to be so, because the overall floor
area appears to be stated accurately. (Obviously being in discrepancy with
the stated linear measures).

Is some weird unit being used???

It sounds like a simple mistake. Units were always given in feet up
recently but now will often be given in metres.
I lived in Germany for a while and am used to both units but for house
buying, I tend to have all my mental bench marks for room and house sizes in
feet (for lengths and areas). In Ireland, we are in transition. My kids
barely know what a foot or inch is but estate agents are a conservative lot.
I bought a house 2.5 years ago (International Standard years) and I think
the brochure units were imperial OR a mixture/both were given.

I have absolutely no idea what your units are.

If so, I don't know what it might be. A 1/14 of a second of latitude
doesn't sound right. Or maybe measurements are altered by a factor of sqrt
5 so that rooms appear to have 1/5 of their actual area? But that doesn't
sound right either! I mean, why on earth do it?

So what's the reason for the curious measurements?

I can't quite suss this one out!

Cheers,

Chris

Posted to sci.engr.surveying,ie.general,uk.d-i-y
C.M.German

"Matt Beard" wrote in message
oups.com...
Chris Nellist wrote:

[...]

Perhaps they are using a drawing package that does all the measurements
for them, but they did the drawing the wrong size and only noticed part
way through. Then they thought "well, it doesn't need to be exact
because it's only showing layout"

Close! Perhaps it's a drawing that was done to a certain scale and then
reduced to fit a smaller page. The computer generated distances then
adjusted themselves accordingly to the new size. just a thought.......

Posted to sci.engr.surveying,ie.general,uk.d-i-y
nightjar

"Chris Nellist" wrote in
message ...
I am house-hunting in Ireland, and an agent has sent me floor-plans of a
house that looks interesting.

But all the measurements are wrong, in that "1m" seems to represent
a distance of about 2.2 metres.

Could it be 0.1 chain = 6.6 feet?

Colin Bignell

Posted to sci.engr.surveying,ie.general,uk.d-i-y
PC Paul

"Chris Nellist"
wrote in message ...
I am house-hunting in Ireland, and an agent has sent me floor-plans
of a house that looks interesting.

But all the measurements are wrong, in that "1m" seems to represent
a distance of about 2.2 metres.

Could it be 0.1 chain = 6.6 feet?

is the 'm' in '1m' for Michael?

That would be Michael O'Donnell, the 7'2" bloke they sent round to measure
it, who forgot his tape measure and measured it out by lying on the floor?

Living Room: 4 michaels by two and a head, begorrah...

Posted to sci.engr.surveying,ie.general,uk.d-i-y
Andy

"PC Paul" wrote in message
om...
"Chris Nellist"
wrote in message ...
I am house-hunting in Ireland, and an agent has sent me floor-plans
of a house that looks interesting.

But all the measurements are wrong, in that "1m" seems to represent
a distance of about 2.2 metres.

Could it be 0.1 chain = 6.6 feet?

is the 'm' in '1m' for Michael?

That would be Michael O'Donnell, the 7'2" bloke they sent round to measure
it, who forgot his tape measure and measured it out by lying on the floor?

Living Room: 4 michaels by two and a head, begorrah...

A, well sure, you see a metre in Ireland is not the same like a normal metre
course it has to be different sure this is Ireland. Just like when something
is supposed to start at 10pm sharp and it starts at 2 in the morning instead
or someone is due to call around to ye one day but don't turn up until 4
months later or just don't turn up at all. Or something that was budgeted
for 4 million that turns out in the end to cost 30 million! - sure this is
Ireland when all things are flexible including measurements. ;-)

Posted to sci.engr.surveying,ie.general,uk.d-i-y
Chris Nellist

"Andy" wrote in :

"PC Paul" wrote in message
om...
"Chris Nellist"
wrote in message ...
[...]

The over-budgeting thing sounds like Britain too - especially anything
involving publicly-funded big construction projects such as bridges,
motorways, sports stadiums, tunnels, government buildings, etc. At least
people in Ireland, Italy, Portugal, Bolivia, the United States (and come to
think of it, everywhere else in the world) are more aware of the all-
pervasive corruption

I thought at first maybe it was a planning scam - get planning permission
for a doll's house and then build something really huge and flog it to
someone (e.g. an incomer from Britain) who won't have any problem buying it
but might well have to pay someone off before he can sell it. BUT, nope -
as my wife pointed out, even in Ireland the local authority will send
someone to inspect a new building and it's not very likely that he'll say
"hmm, yes, nice doll's house" about a mansion on a hillside. I'm sure he
WOULD if he was paid enough, but there are other ways of doing it than
something as ridiculous as this.

Probably a software mix-up!

Chris

Posted to sci.engr.surveying,ie.general,uk.d-i-y
JohnC

He did say it was for reference only, so I assume he means that it is
the proper design, it's just that the measurements are incorrect.