Posted to sci.engr.surveying,ie.general,uk.d-i-y
Andy

Default A curious Irish length unit (2.2m), or???

"PC Paul" wrote in message
om...
"Chris Nellist"
wrote in message ...
I am house-hunting in Ireland, and an agent has sent me floor-plans
of a house that looks interesting.

But all the measurements are wrong, in that "1m" seems to represent
a distance of about 2.2 metres.

Could it be 0.1 chain = 6.6 feet?

is the 'm' in '1m' for Michael?

That would be Michael O'Donnell, the 7'2" bloke they sent round to measure
it, who forgot his tape measure and measured it out by lying on the floor?

Living Room: 4 michaels by two and a head, begorrah...

A, well sure, you see a metre in Ireland is not the same like a normal metre
course it has to be different sure this is Ireland. Just like when something
is supposed to start at 10pm sharp and it starts at 2 in the morning instead
or someone is due to call around to ye one day but don't turn up until 4
months later or just don't turn up at all. Or something that was budgeted
for 4 million that turns out in the end to cost 30 million! - sure this is
Ireland when all things are flexible including measurements. ;-)