Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin

Default Coverign up artex

How can I cover up artex should I just skim over it with finishing plaster
or will I need to prepare it in some way like scoring it for a key?

TIA
Martin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gogs

I used a garden hoe to get most of it off, one room of stipple and one
room with daggers hanging off it!

Stuck after that I paid a pro to skim over, think he used PVA and
finshing plaster

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin wrote:
How can I cover up artex should I just skim over it with finishing plaster
or will I need to prepare it in some way like scoring it for a key?

TIA
Martin.

Just PVA it and skim it over.

Earlier artex can contain asbestos as well. I'm not alarmist about
asbestos but it isn't worth the aggro anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Martin wrote:
How can I cover up artex should I just skim over it with finishing
plaster or will I need to prepare it in some way like scoring it for
a key?

TIA
Martin.

Skim over it using "MultiFinish Plaster", is it painted matt or silk? if
matt use PVA, if silk no need for PVA.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
k...
Martin wrote:
How can I cover up artex should I just skim over it with finishing
plaster or will I need to prepare it in some way like scoring it for
a key?

TIA
Martin.

Skim over it using "MultiFinish Plaster", is it painted matt or silk? if
matt use PVA, if silk no need for PVA.

Painted silk, it's a friends wall and he had previously tried skimming with
MultiFinish and the whole lot came off in big sheets leaving the artex as if
it were untouched.

Martin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin

wrote in message
oups.com...

Martin wrote:
How can I cover up artex should I just skim over it with finishing

plaster
or will I need to prepare it in some way like scoring it for a key?

TIA
Martin.

Just PVA it and skim it over.

Earlier artex can contain asbestos as well. I'm not alarmist about
asbestos but it isn't worth the aggro anyway.

When did artex stop containing asbestos ?

Martin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Martin wrote:
How can I cover up artex should I just skim over it with finishing
plaster or will I need to prepare it in some way like scoring it for
a key?

TIA
Martin.

Skim over it using "MultiFinish Plaster", is it painted matt or
silk? if matt use PVA, if silk no need for PVA.

Painted silk, it's a friends wall and he had previously tried
skimming with MultiFinish and the whole lot came off in big sheets
leaving the artex as if it were untouched.

Martin.

Really, I wonder why my kitchen ceiling plaster has not come down?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin

Martin wrote:
How can I cover up artex should I just skim over it with finishing
plaster or will I need to prepare it in some way like scoring it for
a key?

TIA
Martin.

Skim over it using "MultiFinish Plaster", is it painted matt or
silk? if matt use PVA, if silk no need for PVA.

Painted silk, it's a friends wall and he had previously tried
skimming with MultiFinish and the whole lot came off in big sheets
leaving the artex as if it were untouched.

Martin.

Really, I wonder why my kitchen ceiling plaster has not come down?

I've also plastered over an artex ceiling and its still up there so there is
something odd about this wall. I wonder if it could be the original paint
the artex was painted with as the only difference in the re exposed artex
was its colour.

Martin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Martin wrote:
[...]

Did he degrease/wash it?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin

Martin wrote:
[...]

A very good question I have to ask. Thanks

Martin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Martin wrote:

I've also plastered over an artex ceiling and its still up there so
there is something odd about this wall. I wonder if it could be the
original paint the artex was painted with as the only difference in
the re exposed artex was its colour.

Did he degrease/wash it?

How do you go about doing that on a revoltingly greasy textured or Artex
kitchen ceiling? Interested as I'm going to have to tackle it myself in
the not-too-distant-future...

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Martin wrote:
How can I cover up artex should I just skim over it with finishing

plaster
or will I need to prepare it in some way like scoring it for a key?

TIA
Martin.

Just PVA it and skim it over.

Earlier artex can contain asbestos as well. I'm not alarmist about
asbestos but it isn't worth the aggro anyway.

When did artex stop containing asbestos ?

Martin

Early 70s, according to what I've read.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:06:25 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Martin wrote:

I've also plastered over an artex ceiling and its still up there so
there is something odd about this wall. I wonder if it could be the
original paint the artex was painted with as the only difference in
the re exposed artex was its colour.

Did he degrease/wash it?

How do you go about doing that on a revoltingly greasy textured or Artex
kitchen ceiling? Interested as I'm going to have to tackle it myself in
the not-too-distant-future...

David

Put new boards over the top and plaster them.

MJ

Paint won't stick to Artex type ceiling Warren Owen UK diy 9 September 1st 05 09:53 PM
Is it wood chip or artex? AnthB UK diy 3 July 11th 05 05:02 PM
"Smoothing" ceiling.... (removing artex & plastering) [email protected] UK diy 2 March 11th 05 09:55 AM
Removing artex... David Hearn UK diy 6 February 22nd 05 06:41 PM
Artex ceiling: repairing patches [email protected] UK diy 9 February 5th 05 02:14 PM